Fly B737-200 in SA or CE208 in USA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Stay or go...

I would also stay on the 737, it's gonna be a bigger advantage in the future for SWA. Pay no mind to the "abused" children on this board...If you have a Masters..Good for you!!!

I have flown with a few Captains who are not US citizens and was a sim partner with a Dutch guy in training. Citizenship will not hold you back. You do need PIC mins, and the type. If you have that you are in the boat with the rest of these guys. Good luck!

Folks
Thank you one and all for all your feedback and advice. Just got back from another 4 hours on the B737 and will definitely be staying - its 100% pure unaldulterated fun. It would be difficult to revert back to van flying, even though the van is a wonderful aircraft that I spent many happy hours on in the bush where it proved its worth. I flew 1100 PIC hours on caravans in Angola and Sudan for the United Nations and then about 700 on Beech 1900s (600PIC) in the same areas for Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Red Cross. Also flew 1900s for red cross in Asia. Great memories, great experiences with wonderful guys from all over the world (including the USA) in some of the most incredible places. We flew supplies and humanitarian aid workers into the war zones and got to appreciate just how bad some people have it.

Folks I will heed your good advice and stay on the B737 and continue building those jet hours. Perhaps one day we will meet in a bar in one of the cities that SWA flies too. It will be amazing! As much as I am eager to settle in the USA ASAP, I am just going to be have to be patient.

Guys fly safe and remember that if there is anything I can do assist any of you in South Africa, drop me a PM. Would be happy to show you around. SA is a beautiful country, it is just unfortunately succumbing to the rot that has enveloped the rest of AFRICA. Come on over for a visit - the beer is cold and it is my round!!!!!:D

BA737FO,
I don't think anyone answered one of your questions.
Flamebait is a post which seeks to inflame others with a highly controversial topic or opinion, and thereby draw lots of replies.

Hope you reach your goals of making it to the U.S. It goes to show how great this country is when people are lining up to get in instead of the other way.

words of wisdom

My words are simple.

You are not an American citizen and we are already overstaffed with pilots - alot of them out of work.

Since we are not allowed to fly for British Airways or most other carriers around the world. I suggest you stick to your own country and not come over here to be a burden on our already overcrowded industry.

AMERICAN JOBS ARE FOR AMERICAN - NOT FOREIGNERS - STAY IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY !!!!!!!!!!

This is not a personal attack on you. It is just the facts as I see them.

N

Nightrider,

Are you cherokee, seminole, Ute, Dakota, or perhaps Apache?

This young man will never be president, but other than that once naturalized has about as many rights as the rest of us.

Your question is legitimate

If you have 1000 hrs turbine PIC time don't even think about giving up a 737 job.

Why is this on the majors board?

Last edited:
Who Are We

Is there realy any one in america that can truly say that they are Native Americans ????? Other that the native American Indians.

Hopfuly one day to Fly a 737 400/500 Super Guppy:D

welcome

Nighttider and FearlessFreep, you guys (or girls) make me shake my head. Please put your useless politics where they belong... in the trash. Whatever your response may be, if your choose to respond, it's useless on this thread. Where did your gradparents, greatgrandparents, etc. grow up? Think about it, please for once in your lives, think before you talk, or write. BA, welcome to the US, be it now or in the future. Oh, by the way, the most important things are 1000 hrs PIC turbine and a good personality. Typed in the 737 is a big plus also.
-CD:) :p

Hey Guys

Thanks again for the advice and support. I will be over in July to do the FAA B737 type (I have the SA type rating) and I have more than 1000 hrs PIC turbine. Look forward to flying with you folks soon! I did not expect this much support. Long live the positive US spirit. You folks are the best and are one of the main motivations for my decision to come live over there.:)

As for aviation here in SA, we have 5 major carriers (SAA, BA/Comair, Khulula.com, Nationwide and Sun Air). SAA flies internationally and regionally and has a range of aircraft from B737-200 to B747-400. The others collectively operate, B737-200s,BAC1-11s,B727 and DC9. The airline industry here is minute in comparison to the USA. Our two regional carriers SAX (Dash 8 and CRJ operators) and SA Airlink (J41 and ERJ operators) are in the process of retrenching and furloughing pilots. Times are tough all over! I guess the best the worldwide body of pilots can do is collectively "Keep the Faith" and stand together. The tide will turn.

Latest resources

Back