Fly B737-200 in SA or CE208 in USA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BA737FO

Folks, I have spoken to a few US pilots and the reaction has been mixed. I currently fly the B737-200ADV for British Airways/Comair in South Africa. Our airline is top-notch as we are audited and approved by British Airways Mainline (London) and meet very high standards. I am flying about 70 hours per month as a FO on this wonderful machine, but I have received a green card and dearly would love to move to the USA (anywhere) and eventually fly there -ESPECIALLY for SWA (the greatest!!!!). I have 3200 hours total with 600 on the B737-200 and plenty of turbine time having flown PIC on the Beech 1900. Also have a masters degree, so OK on that aspect.

I am 33, married with a 5 year old son. We love the USA having visited there before getting our green cards. Your way of life is wonderful! We look forward to making a positive contribution to your country.

My question is this: Do I stay on the B737 and continue flying for British Airways while applying to airlines in the USA, OR do I take the job that has been offered to me in Florida to fly a CE208. My feeling is that I may be making a bad career move by leaving a B737 right seat to fly a single engine turbine aircraft. But at least it is a job that allows me to move to the USA and get established and maybe something else will come along??????

Folks I need to make a decision soon and would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks in advance to all.

In my opinion, stay in the 73 and get more valuable time. You can still send out your apps to the majors that might be hiring and to southwest.

I dont think the move to the 208 would be wise, especially if you want southwest. Keep getting the 73 time. Are you typed in it? I would imagine that you are not since you are an fo....but i could be wrong.

If you dont have a problem living were you are now, stick it out until you get the call from southwest, then make the move.

1900cpt

Stay on the jet, when SWA does call you I am sure the stories you can share of flying in S.A. are more exciting than flying the SE C208. When you get the actual job you really want then go ahead and move! I certainly would not want to uproot my family and leave a great job just to make a move to the C208. What I might look into is applying to US airlines using a friend or faimilies US address, and use there place as you base of operation for obtaining your dream job in the USA. Good Luck young chap!

I would stay in the 73. The job market in the US is very unstable right now. The 208 job could vanish and then you would be searching again. Give it some time and find a better paying and stable job.
Good Luck
FD

Stay on the 73 until you can get an offer with southwest or maybe a regional airline. I dont think citizenship is more important than turbine time for you right now. I would seek other jobs in the US airline structure while waiting for SWA if that is your dream. It will be hard right now but a few are hiring. Atlantic Coast, Comair...?

Also I interviewed with a guy that flew for Air Lingis, on a 737 and he got hired, I dont know his citizen status though.

Good Luck

Last edited:
What's wrong with trying to get on with British Airways since your company is affiliatated with them? How about Ryan?

Why should anyone care about your marital status, age or how many children you have? Are you trying to drum up some validity so that you leave lucrative employment in JET aircraft to come to the United States?

There are many people here that would be envious of your situation. There are many U.S. citizens that are currently unemployed and/or furloughed. Are you implying that they should forfeit their jobs or opportunities because you have a master's degree and a couple or rugrats? Please get real.

I think that you will find that there is going to be less tolerance of allowing foreign nationals into to the US for the specific pupose of getting employment and never caring enough to become citizens. I am getting real tired of people coming here exploiting us and then insulting us for the opportunities that we give them.

Your post stinks of flame bait, hell I'll go for it!

To All those who have posted a reply to my question, I thank you. Your comments are constructive. I have been heartened by my NUMEROUS dealings with Americans over the past 5 years and that is exactly why I wish to EMIGRATE to the USA and eventually become a CITIZEN.

Specifically for the benefit of FearlessFreep:
I do not wish to be drawn into an ugly debate about foreigners coming to your country to poach US citizen jobs. I am for real and am committed to becoming a US citizen. As for my so called lucrative job, you are right when you say it is a great job, from the point of view of the fact that I am gaining jet time. You are very wrong if you think I am earning huge money - I am paid in rands and take home the equivalent of US$1200 (including per diems). While I am grateful to have a job and honestly feel for those out there who are unemployed, I simply want to take advantage of an opportunity to live in a great country. As for my age and my "rug-rat" I was merely attempting to illustrate my position in the aviation food chain where age versus experience is particulary relevant - in my case I am concerned that the number of hours I have is low compared with my age. As for my M degree - simply stating that I have one and therefore meet the 4 year degree requirement.

Since when does asking for career advice from a worldwide fraternity of folk who love to fly qualify as"I am getting real tired of people coming here exploiting us and then insulting us for the opportunities that we give them"??

If you have been offended, my humble apologies! Apart from that, hope your day improves.Excuse my ignorance, BUT what is flame bait?:eek:

BA737FO,

First, congratulations on the green card. I ask that you not judge Americans too harshly by what you see on this board, especially the poster that is clearly in the minority. I'm pretty certain he isn't 100% Native American. Along with all the other advice there are some logistics questions. It sounds like you have an FAA conversion already, to get the 208 job. In order to apply to SWA, it's not only 737 time, but the actual 737 type rating. Hopefully they gave that to you in SA and you won't have to rummage for one in the US. Also, the mins. for SWA are 1000 PIC Turbine, so factor that into your plans.

Best of luck pursuing your dreams!

If you don't have 1000 PIC turbine, you aren't competitive for SWA, JetBlue, FedEx, or UPS. 3 are hiring now...and UPS is likely to start back up in next year or so if posts are indicative of the truth.

If you have 1000 PIC turbine...stay put and log 737 time. If you don't, and are going to be stuck logging FO time for forseeable future...well...tough call but Florida is nice and the 208 is turbine time.

As for coming to the states...welcome! There is always room for people who love freedom and respect the rights of others. Most of us just caught an earlier boat than you....

I would like to extend my welcome as well. Albie's last paragraph was pretty good so I cannot say anything better.

I have to agree with others that the job market here is terrible. With a family, if the 208 job tanked, you're going to be competing with thousands of pilots. Stay put, keep the 737 time.

Good luck

Latest resources

Back