• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FLOPS giving a bribe

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And there you have it!...:) You see, RF, I have had all these same conversations before with NJ pilots. I understood the basic premise. Intended, or not, pressure builds during the busy season and the pilots have to remind themselves and one another to slow down and be extra safe. The pilots are ultimately responsible and can't afford to get caught up in the frenzy of the season.

People do get stuck in a rut and standards fall. Those who attempt to pull things back up are often faulted. It's too easy for managers to say "carry it" when they aren't the ones there when things go wrong.

Allow me to translate what happened in the NJ battle. Actually, it's a common principal in many negotiations. The side that cares the least--wins. Think of bargaining you may have done when selling a house or car. Price too low? Forget it, that's an insult. I'm not giving it away! I have too much invested in it. When that same logic was applied to their careers 93% of the NJ pilots voted to strike. When management realized the pilots cared so little for the offer that they would walk away from it, a realistic TA was forthcoming. That is what happened...in a more "refined" manner of speaking...:p

In response to Just Peachy, exactly what results have you seen from writing things up?
From what I read, the gripes are the same as before the Union was voted in.
And correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you would be in a worse situation if the company was "burnt to the ground". And if you think you wouldn't, then why not just leave now? Save yourself the headache right?

You've got their balls squeeze harder. A payoff,bonus, or a bribe is a suckers bet. Wouldn't you give up the cash in your wallet to the mugger to save your jewlery? Screw the cash go for the Rolex. "Kick them in the a$$ so hard their mouth bleeds."

Looks like Random Flyer is a plant. Same MO and methodology as what happened when NJA pilots fought for their contract.

You guys are never gonna make it unless you all get together. If the plane is broke, then write it up....period. Every airplane is broken it just depends on how hard you wanna look.

If your tired, then your tired........thats that.

Don't rush. speaks for its self....let dispatch explain why your didnt make the 15 min turn at teterboro.

Don't do ANYTHING unsafe for the company, your fellow crewmember or yourself.

Unless you all start to put the pressure on your never gonna get ahead, not to mention a contract that's worth a ********************.

.....And correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you would be in a worse situation if the company was "burnt to the ground". And if you think you wouldn't, then why not just leave now? Save yourself the headache right?

It was merely a figure of speech some NJ pilots used to demonstrate their disgust with the disrespectful treatment they received from the company, and the pilots' resolve to do the company no more favors. Please consider yourself corrected.

The pilots are within their right to organize their collective efforts for improving the working conditions and negotiating a contract. Why fault them for that? I think that most pilots would be quite satisfied at their present place of employment if they had a fair/good contract. It is completely reasonable to expect professional pilots could afford to keep the job they enjoy. We all realize that the business must be financially viable, but it is wrong to balance the budget on the backs of the workforce. Pilots, likewise, must earn a living and should receive the going rate for their skills and responsibility.

Good post, Brokeflyer. To put it bluntly Options and Flex pilots: If you act like a doormat you get walked on. If you don't stand up to bullying, it just gets worse. Good news: There's safety in numbers, and the more you stand up for yourself the easier it gets. Eventually the "bully" gets the message that you can't be pushed around and you can begin a new relationship of working together to address areas of common concern. The latter is now the phase that the NJ pilots are entering. There's light at the end of the tunnel. Keep going!
NJW

In response to Just Peachy, exactly what results have you seen from writing things up?

I don't know about Just Peachy, but when I wrote up discrepancies I was hoping to get the airplane fixed. Why? I wanted to ensure the safest environment for my customers on board.

If I were a flex pilot, then I would definitely want to BE SAFE THIS HOLIDAY SEASON! I would not listen to management types such as RF, who would hope one would "carry write-ups" to get the job done. Keep the operation safe. Don't fly fatigued, and don't fly a broken airplane.

Latest resources

Back