FLOPS 2 400a Flameouts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pamed19

Anything new on this ? Any reports on a cause?.I fly as a FLOPS passenger on the 400a and the incidents worry me.

pamed19 said:
Anything new on this ? Any reports on a cause?.I fly as a FLOPS passenger on the 400a and the incidents worry me.

I'm doing contract work on a Beechjet now and the guy I'm flying with told me that it was because guys weren't sumping their fuel tanks. We sumped ours before a trip the other day and got quite a bit of water out of them. I could be all wrong but I do believe it's because the water would freeze and then when it would get to the engine, it flamed out.

Correct me if i'm wrong...

I certainly will not correct you.I am just a worried passenger!What can I do to make sure the sumping has been done?many thanks

B1900FO said:
I'm doing contract work on a Beechjet now and the guy I'm flying with told me that it was because guys weren't sumping their fuel tanks. We sumped ours before a trip the other day and got quite a bit of water out of them. I could be all wrong but I do believe it's because the water would freeze and then when it would get to the engine, it flamed out.

Correct me if i'm wrong...
If sumping would be the problem, that would mean every airplane with the with the same JT15D-5 enignes would be flaming out. The BJ is not the only airplane with these engines. On top of this, if sumping was to be the major culprit every jet flying would be in danger of flaming out. Has anyone noticed a airline pilot out there sumping their airplane. In consideration they do fly a lot, but they don't fly continously.

Worried Passenger

Yes there may be contaminant in the fuel. Make sure the airplane is fueled with an anti-icing additive (PRIST) since they don't have fuel heaters. And ask the crew if it has been sumped recently. It is your right as a customer.

Its not the sumping....its because they' didnt receive the anti-ice additive in the fuel load. At -60C even with sumping in an aircraft without fuel heaters...you still run a significant risk of flameout.

I'm doing contract work on a Beechjet now and the guy I'm flying with told me that it was because guys weren't sumping their fuel tanks

No, the tanks are sumped by mx weekly. Pilots may sump when they feel that its needed.

The 1st flame out was due to not enough prist being in the fuel. It was supposed to be pre-mixed and it wasn't. Bad luck.....

The reason for the 2nd is still unknown.

Agreed

I agree BE350 Captain. The Prist was the main point of my post. And yes you are correct Jet A does have it's own freeze point regardless of water content. However with water the freeze point is higher in terms of temperature, but your point is taken. I'd still make sure both were done if I was an Options passenger, to be the most safe I could be.

JP

400pilot said:
The 1st flame out was due to not enough prist being in the fuel. It was supposed to be pre-mixed and it wasn't. Bad luck.....

The reason for the 2nd is still unknown.

Are you telling me that you believe the first OPT flameout was the FIRST airplane in the history of the JT15D that didnt get the required amount of prist? I find this highly unlikely. Surely there have been airplanes with the JT15D that have gone to Mexico or BFE that haven't had Prist available and have flown without incident without it. I don't buy the Prist excuse anymore either. I don't really agree that a slug of ice went through both engines at the same time on two separate occasions. IMO the slug should have stopped at the filters and then the fuel would have automatically by-passed the filter. I gotta say I'm with the environmental factors theory. I.e. no anti-ice on at high altitude in/above visible moisture, etc.

Latest resources

Back