• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flight Training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
most of the "big" 0 time to mel/comm flight schools will be in the 65K to 100K range depending on CFI ratings and multi time or "RJ sim transition" course.

http://www.atpflightschool.com/airline_training_programs/airline_career_pilot_program/index.html

Program

(From Zero Time — Includes Private)
  • Private Multi, Single & Instrument
  • Commercial Multi, Single & Instrument
  • Certified Flight Instructor Multi, Single & Instrument
  • Flight Time — Over 100 Hours Multi-PIC
    • 270 Hours Logged Time
    • 165 Hours Multi-Engine Time
      • 65 Hours Multi-Engine Instruction & Flight Checks
      • 50 Hours Multi-Engine Cross-Country
      • 50 Hours Multi-Engine FTD
    • 105 Hours Single-Engine Time
  • Guaranteed Instructor Job for Fast Track Graduates!

$54,990 150 Days

$59,990 at New York (ISP)

ATP’s FAST TRACK Airline Career Pilot Program takes you from zero time to a multi-engine Commercial Instrument Pilot with Certified Flight Instructor ratings.
This program provides you with the most qualifications (multi-engine flight time) in the best complex multi-engine aircraft, with the best airline-oriented flight training.

$60,990 14 MONTHS or LESS

$65,990 at New York (ISP)

ATP’s SELF-PACED Airline Career Pilot Program provides the same quality instruction in the same aircraft. A flexible training schedule accommodates your needs as a full-time college student or working professional.
Devote at least ten days per month to your training, and within 14 months you can complete the Airline Career Pilot Program.

Last edited:
Your numbers are way off.

Zero time to CFI/CFII/MEI will cost twice that figure. Part 141 (say ALLATPS) will cost at least $55K for their all-inclusive multi program. Doing all this part 61 at an FBO will cost even more.

55K at ALL ATP's yeah right, I know 2 kids from my local area that got ripped off doing that program. One 10 years ago and another about 2. The 10 year ago one left the program and the most recient spent 20K more than advertised.

My costs above are based on:

$75 hr for a C-152
$90 hr for an IFR C-172
$125 hr for an Arrow
35 hr for CFI

the above are costs from an FBO an hour north of PHL

My costs above are based on:

$75 hr for a C-152 $130
$90 hr for an IFR C-172 $170
$125 hr for an Arrow $190
35 hr for CFI $60

the above are costs from an FBO an hour north of PHL

I dont doubt you, but these prices seem like they're from 10 years ago. Last I checked, the fields in the Tri-state area all charge a lot more. See red. On top of that, they all have surcharges and other sundry, added.

Although Im not a graduate of the ATP program, it would appear that it is all-inclusive. Not sure how your friend got charged $20K more.

But, going 61 cost a lot more in the end and you have a ton of SE time, not ME, which is what these kids need to get hired.

I would bash him in the head and tell him to walk, no RUN, away from aviation at all costs. Yeah, maybe get a PPL and an IR while working on being a doctor, scumbag lawyer, banker, or anything, but I couldnt tell him forecefully enough to stay out of commercial aviation.

Hell, Ron Jeremy's fluffer prob makes more than a 5 yr RJ captain...

Not sure why everyone here thinks that being a doctor/lawyer is the key to happiness and QOL?.......You guys must not have many friends in that field......Flying might not be the career it once was, but just blindly assuming one must go to some sort of medical career to have a decent life...?......

And to add to what everyone else added I would seriously try to talk him out of it but if it dosen't work.... Fuel prices are going up again. This will cause his training cost to sprial up. Finish that 4 year degree and by then we will probally know the final outcome of the 1500 hour rule.

He probally has a lot of misconceptions about the industry.

I started flight school in 2004. I worked full-time through school, CFI'd for a short time and got very lucky in getting hired at a regional with one of the highest 1st/2nd year pay rates around.

It is now 2011, and in the past 7 years I've averaged $26,000.

Next year I'll be in the 36k range, if I dont get furloughed.

And believe me, I've been luckier than 90% of the guys I went to school with.

Not sure why everyone here thinks that being a doctor/lawyer is the key to happiness and QOL?.......You guys must not have many friends in that field......Flying might not be the career it once was, but just blindly assuming one must go to some sort of medical career to have a decent life...?......

Its funny you mention that. On other forum there is an XJT guy that went to law school when he got furloughed and had all the other pilots patting him on the back like "yeah! get out of this field! Go make some real money!" Turns out the XJT guy eventually found out the law profession is in an even worse state than aviation and that going back to being an XJT FO was not so bad after all.

To the OP, follow your dreams. If this is what you really want to do and it is truly your passion, by all means go after it. Many many people told me the same things that most of these FI guys are posting and I still came and I throughly enjoy my job and see a bright future. Its not a perfect job and there are some negatives, especially here at the regional level, but for me the positives by far outweigh the negatives. Especially if you like to travel.

Not many jobs where you can come home from work and the next day you're in 1st class in a 777 sipping champagne on the way to Dubai.

Latest resources

Back