• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flight Training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tell him about the Guard/Reserves. Have him finish his 4 year, get a pvt sel (local fbo) and stay fit.

If I could do it again I'd fly in the ANG and get a regular 9 to 5 weekday job (engineer, accountant, teacher ect.) and stay the he!! away from the airlines.

Avoid this industry like the plague.

+1

Tell them to go to dental school.

I'm guessing that you're the old and ignorant, never worked at a modern 'regional' (aka subcontractor) before. That explains why you are asking in the regional forum for advice on where to get started.

If there is one consensus that can be reached by 99.99% of regional pilots it is: This career path sucks.

You should not be recommending to any person whom you have any regard for whatsoever to be getting into this business. It is awful. They will never have a QOL anything close to what guys who did the same job 20 years ago did.

Medical, Dental, or Law.

In a couple years when the retirements start kicking in, things will turn around VERY quickly. Those with a positive attitude towards their career and life in general will reap the benefits from slugging through the tough times. Airline Pilot is one of the top job fields for the next 20 years

In a couple years when the retirements start kicking in, things will turn around VERY quickly. Those with a positive attitude towards their career and life in general will reap the benefits from slugging through the tough times. Airline Pilot is one of the top job fields for the next 20 years

And according to "Back to the Future: Part II", flying cars will be the norm in 2015.

in a couple years when the retirements start kicking in, things will turn around very quickly. Those with a positive attitude towards their career and life in general will reap the benefits from slugging through the tough times. Airline pilot is one of the top job fields for the next 20 years

LOL dude seriously you're clueless. And I don't know any mainline pilot that would recommend this job to anyone else. Haven't come across one yet. Forget even about pay, this alone should tell you something.

Last edited:
lets just say your friend doesn't take heed our/your warnings.

in that case my recommendation would be a local FBO and pay as you go. Off the top of my head (I'm a local airport bum and still keep a current CFI) PVT to MultiComm and CFI will be in the 20K to 25K neighborhood.

PVT (C-152 or 172) $6000
Inst. (C-172) $6000, including 50hours x/c in a C-150
Comm/sel (Piper Arrow) $3000
CFI (Piper Arrow) $1500
MultiComm (Piper Seminole) $2500
Books and msc equipment $1500
5 checkrides at 300/ride $1500
msc flying/extra practice/time building or personal flying $1500

Total - 23.5K

most of the "big" 0 time to mel/comm flight schools will be in the 65K to 100K range depending on CFI ratings and multi time or "RJ sim transition" course.

Again I'd recommend local FBO (25K) then use the rest to finish his/her 4 year degree (say 30K). 55K total and he/she has a 4 year and MultiComm/CFI with little or no debt. It leaves him/her at 23ish years old and better prepared to face 2-3 years of sub 20K salary (instructing/135) then another 2 to 5 years at 30 to 40K regional salary.

At the pt 61 school I did my instructing at, $20k barely gets you a PP and instrument rating.

lets just say your friend doesn't take heed our/your warnings.

in that case my recommendation would be a local FBO and pay as you go. Off the top of my head (I'm a local airport bum and still keep a current CFI) PVT to MultiComm and CFI will be in the 20K to 25K neighborhood.

PVT (C-152 or 172) $6000
Inst. (C-172) $6000, including 50hours x/c in a C-150
Comm/sel (Piper Arrow) $3000
CFI (Piper Arrow) $1500
MultiComm (Piper Seminole) $2500
Books and msc equipment $1500
5 checkrides at 300/ride $1500
msc flying/extra practice/time building or personal flying $1500

Total - 23.5K

Your numbers are way off.

Zero time to CFI/CFII/MEI will cost twice that figure. Part 141 (say ALLATPS) will cost at least $55K for their all-inclusive multi program. Doing all this part 61 at an FBO will cost even more.

Latest resources

Back