Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks Bluepost

For the insight into your idea.

We too, have overtime grubbers - I can bet they will be out in full force Labor Day weekend... This one person I was paired with was on his 11th day in a row. He said he does at least a day or two of OT every tour, "because they always ask me." They don't bother asking me any more after I told them the last time, Sure if you pay off my car. So it ought to be available to those that want it, I see what you are getting at - just the mechanics of the seniority issue are cumbersome.

I don't have a clue how price sensitive owners are to increases... I guess it would be a mixed reaction. There would have to be a tradeoff - but what?

Stop Working Overtime!!

I have a serious problem with someone on their 11th day. As all of us that work for FLOPs know, our 8 day tour leaves us so tired we can border on not being safe by the end of the week. Anyone who goes beyond 8 days has no possibility of being safe. Also, they get so grumpy, they are impossibel to be around. I have yet to see someone who works overtime that has a good attitude. What a horrible thing to have to fly with that idiot. I would refuse to fly with someone who has worked so many days. It shows a severe lack of judgement and puts my life and our owners lives at risk.

Secondly, they are not allowing SIC's to upgrade. The company figures it can get those stupid PIC's that consistantly work overtime to cover the lack of pilots. This causes the SIC's not to be upgraded as quickly. The company loves it! Just watch out that you don't have a mutiny by your frustrated SIC :)

Third, they are making it harder for everyone to get vacation requests. Again, they let the company get by with not hiring enough people by picking up the slack for our understaffing. We need more pilots and they are standing in the way. What company stooges they are!

You're singing to the choir here

Bbj, (and I understand completely) :)

I am with you 100%. The answer to the manning and overtime issue is obvious. Hire more pilots! Man, after 7 days on you hope there is a collective total of one brain between the two of you. Not likely. After 8 days on... Wow. Hide the sharp objects.

Oh well, I am off to my own Bbj on Sunday. Hopefully it will be a nice place like my last tour where I flew a total of 1 hour in 4 days on duty (had some leave). Got a lot of reading done...

To say that anyone who goes more than 8 days is a "stupid stooge" is a little harsh. (What does that make pilots at some other aviation companies who work a 2-week schedule?) A lot depends on what those first 8 days are like, and I certainly agree that if you've been run ragged, you probably should go home on day 8. I agree the company needs more pilots. I've worked one day of overtime this year, after a relatively easy tour (which I admit is rare). I have volunteered on 2 other occasions, again after sitting around for a couple of days, but not getting it (and no, I am not in the Citation fleet). People have different reasons for doing so. To label all of us basically idiots is simplistic.

maybe stupid stooge is harsh

How about buddy f*c*er then? That's probably more appropriate for working overtime, no matter what the reason.

Who asked ya Heavy

Don't have to worry about me and my meds... we're juuuuust fine. My original reply, before I edited it, included a healthy dose of personal attacks and name calling but that would just cloud an issue that I feel very strongly about. I don't know why you feel it necessary to sign onto the Frac board and add a snide comment or snipet, but I guess that's your right...

Last edited:
Unfortunately, that's the kind of attitude i've come to expect on this website. Instead of a frank discussion between professionals, resort to name calling of those with whom you disagree. What a joy to be stuck with someone like you for eight days who is pissed off at the world and sees someone trying to f**k him up the a** at every turn.Over many years in this business, I have been constantly amazed at the number of people who bitch and moan about their lot in life, right up to and including the left seat of a 747 and beyond. It's as if it was some court-ordered life sentence imposed in lieu of jail time.It gets very tiresome, to the point where you just want to scream SHUT UP AND GO DO SOMETHING ELSE FOR A LIVING! Everyone has complaints, dude, but us grownups learn how to channel them in a way that might actually make a difference. All the whining, finger-pointing and name-calling in the world WILL NOT CHANGE A THING.I repeat: WILL NOT CHANGE A THING. Send in your union card if you see it as the solution to your woes; find like-minded colleagues and speak in one voice; realize that many will not agree with everything you say. In the meantime, accept the fact that good people who disagree with you are not always the enemy.It's called maturity.Grow up!

Hey Leardawg, I agree with most of what your saying......But....Yup there is the But. I know quite a few guys that are on year 4 Capt with the company and on year 2-3 on pay. So You have to understand their situation and ideas of the company. And I'm sure the Future Falcon and X guys taking the new Options pay scale are loving that one. As you know the list goes on and on.

flight options

Dime Line:

I agree wholeheatedly with your point. I think there are numerous issues that need to be dealt with, not the least of which is fair compensation for what we do.I just don't think the overtime issue is going to make a significant difference one way or the other. The Schedulers were actually told to cut back on giving out overtime a couple of months ago, so I don't see the company looking at this as a make-or-break issue. As far as I'm concerned, if someone wants to work overtime, that's their business. If anything, they're lightening the load for those who are on their regular tour. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my opinion. I have a problem with people denigrating co-workers over such an issue.It's one thing to to state a position and explain why you feel that way. What I can't stand is those who proceed to attack the character and motivations of people (many of whom they don't even know) who have a different opinion. I've often found that the loudest and nastiest complainers are the first ones to stop practicing what they preach when an opportunity comes their way, taking their "fourty pieces of silver" and running. When it comes down to it, it's really all about them as far as they are concerned.

Latest resources

Back