Flight Options

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
desire vs action

My preacher told me a story about 3 boys who wanted to go swimming in a local watering hole.

The first boy stripped down and ran up to the waters edge and jumped right in. He shrieked as the shock of the water rippled from his toes to the hair atop his head.

The second boy ran up to the waters edge, stepped into the water, hesitated; then did not jump in like the first. He could see the first boy having the time of his life, but he couldn't get over the cold. He slowly walked towards the deeper water; first his ankles; then his knees; then his waist; but no further. He just couldn't do it.

The third just walked along the edge of the watering hole; never getting anymore than his ankles wet, content with watching the others.

Each of these boys had something in common. They all had the DESIRE to go swimming; but only one of them took ACTION and jumped into the water.

This story can be related to our lives at Flight Options. Many of us have valid concerns, justifiable issues and legitimate complaints. Just like the 3 boys, some of us take action, others go half way and some sit on the sidelines. We all have the DESIRE to see changes; now it is time for ACTION. This is our time.

My story might draw criticism; however, it helped me open my eyes.

Hey leardawg

Just read between the white lines and nothing more, ok? Geesh, amazing how you are able to project what a pleasure it would be to fly with me for an 8 day tour based on my expressed feelings about the OT issue... you crack me up. Talk about resorting to name calling and attacks and then do the same thing yourself, must be training for a second career in politics :). I assure you that the CPTs I fly with enjoy the experience AND they know how I feel about the OT issue completely. If they tell me that they worked/are gonna work a day of OT, I tell them that I thik they are screwing those of us that are waiting for upgrades and compound many of the management problems we are faced with. We don't argue, piss, or moanm to each other for the rest of the tour and it leads to some good discussion for the many, many hours we spend together. I am not pissed at the world (but you can still think that if you'ld like) its just that I think that working OT compounds many problems we are faced with today that the company is trying to work on: vacation, upgrade time, day 8 travel, fleet size, duty time, etc. Selfishness and self seeking do not help us as a whole.

I would have to agree with what flyr4hire is saying. The captains who are working overtime can be a little two faced at times. When you're talking to them they're like, "dude, it sucks that you've been waiting for an upgrade for so long...I feel your pain." And then they turn around and work OT. Sure they may do it for the extra change in their pockets. Who doesn't like extra money? But it screws all of us waiting around for an upgrade. The company would rather shell out OT pay than pay for the expense of upgrading an F/O. The captains and the company are the clear winners here with the F/O's losing out big time. F/O OT pay sucks here. There's other issues here at Flight Options that bite the big one just as there are at other companies. One that burns me the most is how poorly Flight Options treats the F/O's. They try to alienate us by telling us not to call the company for ANYTHING. This place has turned into a big sh!+ho1e. I used to think that the commuter that I worked at was a mickey mouse operation but this place takes the cake! And for you idiots who are gonna tell me, "well, if you don't like it there, leave" I intend to. This corporate crap isn't for me. Going back to a 121 carrier where there's a little more (and I stress LITTLE) organization is going to be nice.

Here's something for you to chew on. Last tour I ran into two contract PICs flying the XPs for us. They were both in separate locations, and they each told me there were a total of THREE contract XP PICs here now. I haven't met the third one yet. I looked for them on the seniority list, but they are nowhere to be found.

So, let's summarize. Instead of upgrading people, they would rather pay OT and hire contract pilots to pick up for the shortage. It's amazing how well this place is run.

Yeah, And I'll Post This In All Caps To Let The World Know How Badly This Place Is With Their Finances. They're Paying These Contract Pilots $780/day Plus Per Diem ($40.80/day). This Is First Hand Info From A Friend Of Mine Who Used To Work Here But Now Works Somewhere Else But Still Does Contract Work For Us. Talk About Being A Buddyf**ker!

Hmmm...Evidently they don't allow all caps on these message boards...oh well...you get the picture.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back