• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

clickclickboom

Just a matter of time..​

COMMENTS ANYONE?​

November 23, 2005
To all Pilots, Flight Attendants, and Flight Operations Team Members
As I celebrate my first month here, I would like to share a few feelings, impressions, and hopes with you.
Allow me to introduce myself, assess where I think we are and where I believe we’re going.
This past weekend my wife, 12 year old daughter, mother-in-law, golden retriever, guinea pig, and I moved
into our new home. It’s not far from corporate headquarters just outside Cleveland. While unpacking, I
began to realize how committed I am to the success of our flight operations team. So, I’d like to take this
opportunity to write to each of you.
INTRODUCTION​

I’m the son of a pilot. Need I say more? Christmas at our house was seldom on December 25

th. Forget

about Dad being home for Easter, July 4​

th, the school play, or my birthday. No wonder my brother became a

minister. Phone calls in the middle of night from operations were routine. Cancelled family outings were

not unusual. Coaching sports was absolutely not possible. Unless Dad was on vacation, our family never
knew if he was going to be with us. When I was old enough to understand, I asked why he chose to be a
pilot. He said, "Well, I love to fly (he’d been an instructor in WWII). I can live near where I grew up
(Atlanta). And, once you get used to it, the schedule’s not bad." Flying in the middle of the night, overnighting
at hotel’s, and long duty days just came with the career choice.
When I’ve asked your fellow crewmembers why they chose Flight Options, they almost always give the same
reasons my Dad gave. You love to fly. You can pretty much live near where you want (hang on former Tier
3 guys, I’m not done yet). And, the schedule’s not bad. Flying in the middle of night, hotels, and long duty
days still come with the career choice.
Yet, I chose to fly, too. I attended Georgia Tech then graduated from Florida State. I worked at several
jobs to afford getting my private pilot’s license. In my early 20’s, I led combat air strikes as a Mission
Force Commander for an Air Force fighter wing. I flew about 17,000 hours in military, commercial, and
general aviation aircraft as a flight engineer, SIC, and PIC. I went back to school and received an MBA
with an emphasis on Communication and Group Dynamics. Along the way, I’ve been a flight instructor,
simulator instructor, flight test pilot, union member (ALPA), flight department manager, and CRM
facilitator.
The last couple of years I headed up TAG Aviation’s Flight Operations and Standards team. TAG has
hundreds of pilots and flight attendants flying about 140 aircraft located at 55 domestic domiciles. When
Michael Scheeringa offered me a job, I was excited to bring my team building experience and open,
communicative leadership style to Flight Options.
WHERE I THINK WE ARE
The past year was filled with obstacles for Flight Options. Many difficult decisions were made as the
company pursued Safety, Service, and Profitability. I can see there were a few mistakes made along the
way. Despite difficult times, one thing stands out: our Owners have continued to sing your accolades loud
and clear. This is a highly professional team of crewmembers, one that always puts the safety and service
of the customer first. I am very proud to be a member of your team.
The good news is that in spite of mistakes and still not being profitable, Flight Options has come a long way
this year. Since implementing the Go-Forward Plan at the beginning of 2005, there have been many
improvements. We’ve just recorded: 10 consecutive periods of month-over-month improvement in the
occupied rate, the lowest MEL level in company history, five months of month-over-month improvement in
on-time performance, the highest maintenance reliability in 3 years, and industry-wide acceptance of our
fleet modernization effort. This momentum strongly positions us for profitability in the near future.
These accomplishments are due in part to the hard work and dedication you exhibit every day.
I have spoken with a number of you in a variety of places: at DFW crew meetings, phone calls, and in my
office as you travel through CGF. I’ve swapped emails with countless others. I’ve spoken with team
members from every department in headquarters. I have enjoyed our talks. I’ve learned a great deal
about Flight Options and what tools you feel you need to do your job. Each of you has shared your vision of
how we can improve.
I have found that collectively Flight Options is a hard working, collaborative team. Here’s what I think: As
members of the Flight Operations department, it’s our goal to deliver a luxury experience for our owners
each time they fly. In turn, it is the goal of your flight operations managers to ensure our crewmembers’
needs are being met. I’ve learned there are several primary concerns that urgently need to be addressed
by the organization in order for us to meet our goals. They are the following:​

·​

Accurate, consistent communication

·​

Quality of life issues

·​

Compensation

·​

Benefits

·​

Day 1 and Day 8 travel

·​

Improved scheduling and dispatch processes

·​

Logistics problems such as hotels

·​

Self-representation

WHERE I BELIEVE WE ARE GOING
Just like our emergency procedure training, first we identify then we resolve the problem. It’s difficult for
me to ask for your continued patience but I am. We are working on a comprehensive plan addressing all
concerns. Yesterday’s decisions and today’s policies are being reviewed. Tomorrow’s challenges are being
anticipated. Everything that affects how we operate, schedule, train, compensate, compete, and
communicate is being considered.
There’s an old expression you may have heard, "If you keep doing what you’ve been doing…you’ll get what
you got." We need to change for the better. You deserve better. Our owners deserve better. Our
company deserves to be profitable. In the meanwhile, I want you to know that we are listening and we are
eager to work together as a team to resolve problems.
Change is in the air. We’re continuing our DFW meetings. Going forward they’ll be focused more on flight
operations. The Pilot’s Web site is being modified to include more proactive information on company issues
and concerns. We’re exploring the possibility of Road Shows to be held at several domiciles. You and your
spouse or significant other will have opportunity to meet corporate executive team members to ask
questions person-to-person. Most importantly, email your Program Manager with your suggestions and
comments. We want to know your concerns and your ideas. We want to answer your questions. We will use
you insight as a valuable tool, "To help us help you."
In addition to thanking you for your past efforts, I would like you to know I believe Flight Options’ future
is directly linked to your personal success. In order for our company to be the Best in Class we must be
the Best Place to Work. We are on the road to better times and I look forward to the positive changes for
our crewmembers in the months ahead. This is an exciting period for Flight Options. My family and I are
happy to be a part of it.
Best wishes for a safe and happy holiday season.
Warmest regards,
Bob Tyler
Vice President, Flight Operations​

clickclickboom said:

Just a matter of time..​

COMMENTS ANYONE?​

November 23, 2005​
To all Pilots, Flight Attendants, and Flight Operations Team Members
As I celebrate my first month here, I would like to share a few feelings, impressions, and hopes with you.
Allow me to introduce myself, assess where I think we are and where I believe we’re going.
This past weekend my wife, 12 year old daughter, mother-in-law, golden retriever, guinea pig, and I moved
into our new home. It’s not far from corporate headquarters just outside Cleveland. While unpacking, I
began to realize how committed I am to the success of our flight operations team. So, I’d like to take this
opportunity to write to each of you.
INTRODUCTION

I’m the son of a pilot. Need I say more? Christmas at our house was seldom on December 25

th. Forget

about Dad being home for Easter, July 4​

th, the school play, or my birthday. No wonder my brother became a

minister. Phone calls in the middle of night from operations were routine. Cancelled family outings were​

not unusual. Coaching sports was absolutely not possible. Unless Dad was on vacation, our family never

knew if he was going to be with us. When I was old enough to understand, I asked why he chose to be a
pilot. He said, "Well, I love to fly (he’d been an instructor in WWII). I can live near where I grew up
(Atlanta). And, once you get used to it, the schedule’s not bad." Flying in the middle of the night, overnighting
at hotel’s, and long duty days just came with the career choice.
When I’ve asked your fellow crewmembers why they chose Flight Options, they almost always give the same
reasons my Dad gave. You love to fly. You can pretty much live near where you want (hang on former Tier
3 guys, I’m not done yet). And, the schedule’s not bad. Flying in the middle of night, hotels, and long duty
days still come with the career choice.
Yet, I chose to fly, too. I attended Georgia Tech then graduated from Florida State. I worked at several
jobs to afford getting my private pilot’s license. In my early 20’s, I led combat air strikes as a Mission
Force Commander for an Air Force fighter wing. I flew about 17,000 hours in military, commercial, and
general aviation aircraft as a flight engineer, SIC, and PIC. I went back to school and received an MBA
with an emphasis on Communication and Group Dynamics. Along the way, I’ve been a flight instructor,
simulator instructor, flight test pilot, union member (ALPA), flight department manager, and CRM
facilitator.
The last couple of years I headed up TAG Aviation’s Flight Operations and Standards team. TAG has
hundreds of pilots and flight attendants flying about 140 aircraft located at 55 domestic domiciles. When
Michael Scheeringa offered me a job, I was excited to bring my team building experience and open,
communicative leadership style to Flight Options.
WHERE I THINK WE ARE
The past year was filled with obstacles for Flight Options. Many difficult decisions were made as the
company pursued Safety, Service, and Profitability. I can see there were a few mistakes made along the
way. Despite difficult times, one thing stands out: our Owners have continued to sing your accolades loud
and clear. This is a highly professional team of crewmembers, one that always puts the safety and service
of the customer first. I am very proud to be a member of your team.
The good news is that in spite of mistakes and still not being profitable, Flight Options has come a long way
this year. Since implementing the Go-Forward Plan at the beginning of 2005, there have been many
improvements. We’ve just recorded: 10 consecutive periods of month-over-month improvement in the
occupied rate, the lowest MEL level in company history, five months of month-over-month improvement in
on-time performance, the highest maintenance reliability in 3 years, and industry-wide acceptance of our
fleet modernization effort. This momentum strongly positions us for profitability in the near future.
These accomplishments are due in part to the hard work and dedication you exhibit every day.
I have spoken with a number of you in a variety of places: at DFW crew meetings, phone calls, and in my
office as you travel through CGF. I’ve swapped emails with countless others. I’ve spoken with team
members from every department in headquarters. I have enjoyed our talks. I’ve learned a great deal
about Flight Options and what tools you feel you need to do your job. Each of you has shared your vision of
how we can improve.
I have found that collectively Flight Options is a hard working, collaborative team. Here’s what I think: As
members of the Flight Operations department, it’s our goal to deliver a luxury experience for our owners
each time they fly. In turn, it is the goal of your flight operations managers to ensure our crewmembers’
needs are being met. I’ve learned there are several primary concerns that urgently need to be addressed
by the organization in order for us to meet our goals. They are the following:

·​

Accurate, consistent communication

·​

Quality of life issues

·​

Compensation

·​

Benefits

·​

Day 1 and Day 8 travel

·​

Improved scheduling and dispatch processes

·​

Logistics problems such as hotels

·​

Self-representation

WHERE I BELIEVE WE ARE GOING​
Just like our emergency procedure training, first we identify then we resolve the problem. It’s difficult for
me to ask for your continued patience but I am. We are working on a comprehensive plan addressing all
concerns. Yesterday’s decisions and today’s policies are being reviewed. Tomorrow’s challenges are being
anticipated. Everything that affects how we operate, schedule, train, compensate, compete, and
communicate is being considered.
There’s an old expression you may have heard, "If you keep doing what you’ve been doing…you’ll get what
you got." We need to change for the better. You deserve better. Our owners deserve better. Our
company deserves to be profitable. In the meanwhile, I want you to know that we are listening and we are
eager to work together as a team to resolve problems.
Change is in the air. We’re continuing our DFW meetings. Going forward they’ll be focused more on flight
operations. The Pilot’s Web site is being modified to include more proactive information on company issues
and concerns. We’re exploring the possibility of Road Shows to be held at several domiciles. You and your
spouse or significant other will have opportunity to meet corporate executive team members to ask
questions person-to-person. Most importantly, email your Program Manager with your suggestions and
comments. We want to know your concerns and your ideas. We want to answer your questions. We will use
you insight as a valuable tool, "To help us help you."
In addition to thanking you for your past efforts, I would like you to know I believe Flight Options’ future
is directly linked to your personal success. In order for our company to be the Best in Class we must be
the Best Place to Work. We are on the road to better times and I look forward to the positive changes for
our crewmembers in the months ahead. This is an exciting period for Flight Options. My family and I are
happy to be a part of it.
Best wishes for a safe and happy holiday season.
Warmest regards,
Bob Tyler
Vice President, Flight Operations

Nice spin job Bob. Time for a wakeup call: morale is in the tank, many FLOPS pilots I've spoken to are actively looking elsewhere or considering other Fracs like NJA, future growth is uncertain in terms of future aircraft deliveries, and owners have been leaving at a high rate when their renewals come up (from what I have heard). NJA's management did the right thing and moved to compromise on a good pilot package (big improvement) and morale, for the most part, has turned the corner with considerable optimism for the future vs. 6 months ago. If FLOPS doesn't respect its pilot group, watch as the situation turns for the worse. More good pilots will leave. More owners will leave. In the end, you get what you pay for...

Wow,
Now that I'm back from the toilet from being sick, what can you say.

Well, maybe I heard the same speech five years ago at NetJets. This is from a man that has always put his job first and his family second. If you think the F.O. guys are going to buy that pot of sh$t, forget it. I just fought a long battle with NJA ( that we won ) and I was tired and weary. But now I'm fired up again and I will go to battle with any Flight Options brother who needs me. Your guys and Gals deserve better and I hope you set the new bar for fractional aviation.
Go get em !!!!!!

Failure

First off I'm not associated with any frac and have made a nice career flying corp. So I'm not biased one way or the other,but I have to tell you this communication letter is pathetic.

" Unless Dad was on vacation, our family never

at hotel’s, and long duty days just came with the career choice."

I love my family and have a passion for flying...I will never love flying i.e. my work. His dad was a failure in my eyes. I have two teenage daughters and have made sacrifices with my career decisions so I could be around for the important times. Did I miss special occasions...you bet ...I fly for a living, but I also have a responsibility to my family priority #1. So that has been my primary goal. Not chasing planes or higher salaries...just give me an honest wage for a honest day of work.

I have trolled around on this board for about 7 years and have seen alot of discussions and arguments about the state of the industry. Don't know what the answer is ..no unions ..more unions...or whats behind door number 3, but I have to tell you I feel for you guys at Options if this is the face of your new leader. He has made his stance known regarding your quality of life....hey my dad did it ..I'm doing it and you should do it to...is the way I read this letter. Sounds like another corporate ra ra monkey to me. I hope I'm wrong with this assumption. As you can tell I rarely post, but this letter really hit a cord with me ........I have heard this type of talk in a prior business life and the results were not positive. Good Luck to you guys...hope all works out.

His dad probably had some second family with a hot girlfriend down in Rio.

Sorry kids dad just has to fly down to Rio tonight. I know it's christmas but Mrs. Claus is 23 and has a friend coming over.

See you after the first of the year!

Bob's letter brought tears to my eyes....

When I read that he moved his family to Cleveland!!!

At least in his letter he admits that there is a problem at Flight Opts. If this was an AA 12 step program I think we just reached the first step. It would have sounded better had he said " Hello my name is Bob and I am a management apologist"

To help him save some time going through all of the steps my suggestion is to just match the Net Jets TA word for word because when the union comes in they will have to eventually.

His letter makes me want to :puke:

Diesel said:

Sorry kids dad just has to fly down to Rio tonight. I know it's christmas but Mrs. Claus is 23 and has a friend coming over.

My wife just read this and now doesn't believe that I have to work on Christmas ... Thanks:(

Diesel said:

Diesel said:
TOL FSI. You gotta hit the massage parlour and the firehouse porno store.

Diesel - can you spell hypocrite?

It takes those on the road to understand the road.

Can't spell hypocrite but i can spell company mole.

That funny, we were just talking about that!

Yep, if you ain't onthe road you just won't get it.

I guess the daily target is as close to 14 hours duty as possible????

I have a great idea, lets have the schedulers work 14 hour days as well!

I wonder what they will say when we wheel an APU into the casino and fire it up?

Yeah, thats right don't forget, the noise pollution is awful.

The long days day after day are getting to be the norm instead of the exception it's supposed to be.

Sorry I'm happy with the contract, I'm just crabby after a long assed noisy day..

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back