• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flight Express Info...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A lot of guys seem to stay 4-8 months. Then there's another group that stays for twin time, so something around the year to year and a half mark. I think the #4 guy on the seniority list has been there for 3 1/2 years or so and I think it's far from decided for him whether or not to stick around. So I guess that leaves three guys who are confirmed "lifers". This is all just my observation, so don't take it as gospel fact.

2 of those 3 are the CP and dir of training, but i think #2 has been here nearly 10 years. i guess he would be considered a lifer.
it's rare for someone to stay over a year. after 6 months here i'm halfway up the seniority list.

wildfreightess said:
#4 on the list will never leave because he knows I want his run.

So lemme make sure i got this right. If you're the last man on the roster, you get whatever run that is left? So your run/route could potnetially change every month/bidding peroid? Would this mean you were living out of a suitcase for your first few months?

Now, say if you were in the middle of the roster, you get to pick the run you want, and no one below you can get it? This way you would have more of a stable "schdule?"

How often do the upper level guys switch thier runs?

Sorry, for all the question...but i love the fact that i can actually talk with the pilot's of Flight Express!

B-J-J Fighter said:
Are there really lifers at Flight Express?

Was that just a silly question? Why would you not want to work for a company if they treat you good and the pay isn't bad...or is not possible or desireable to live off the pay?

What would your pay look like the year running a C210 route?
What about a Baron route after the first year?

Thanks in advance!

Do you guys have a run out of ILM? I saw a the 210 there on Friday, it actually didn't look too bad for a freight bird.

How bidding works is at the moment kind of a black art, as far as I can tell. The story from Orlando is basically "if you want something, tell us, and we'll see if we can get it for you. Subject, of course, to our needs at the time." In theory, a more senior pilot can "bump" you from your run, I think. In practice, I've never seen this happen. This is largely because the more senior pilots already have runs they like, but also, I suspect, because there is no clearly defined "bidding" process. This is not a regional, where you sit down with your laptop and see what your seniority will hold. When I moved to my current base and expressed an interest in a certain run I was told "you can plan on that, but the pilots sort of work out who flies what on their own". Make of that what you will (I got the run I wanted, woe is me). Generally, once you have a run you want, you will not be removed from it. That being said the first month or so you could be almost anywhere. Mostly places other pilots have decided they do not want to be. Jackson and Birmingham seem to be extremely unpopular, for example.

I've never heard of a guy high on the seniority list changing his run. But again, since the process isn't exactly "transparent", I can only speak for my base.

As to pay, it's totally dependent on duty time. You can do five short legs in a row and make $19.5k/year, or you can do 2 legs and sit around all day and clear $34k your first year. Take this under advisement when choosing a run. Pay does not, to my understanding, go up a great deal, although there is some sort of raise after a year. Baron are paid the same basic rate as 210 runs, under the (accurate) theory that multi time is its own reward and you'll be moving on soon anyway. Also, baron runs tend to be shorter, so try to put something in the bank while you're on the 210.

That's a true statement. Most baron runs pay less than the typical 210 run so you'll take a pay cut to "upgrade." Of course, nobody's holding a gun to your head to go fly the baron. When I was there we had a belgian dude in CPS who had just upgraded to the baron after flying something like 3000 hours in the 210. He had waited so long that he actually got a well paying run. He still lived in the hangar, though!! It was 2 years ago but my guess would be that he is still there...

Thanks for your reply Boris

Boris Badenov said:
Jackson and Birmingham seem to be extremely unpopular, for example.

What's wrong with those two cites? I'd love to work in either of those two routes....expecially Birmingham!

Boris Badenov said:
As to pay, it's totally dependent on duty time. You can do five short legs in a row and make $19.5k/year, or you can do 2 legs and sit around all day and clear $34k your first year. Take this under advisement when choosing a run.

How could you fly 2 legs and sit around all with making $35k a year? Would that be longer run? From what i've found, pilots are paid $10/hour while on duty. So do you get paid per hour or by the route?

Thanks!

Latest resources

Back