• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flight Express Info...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you stay at the airport during a longer layover or does the company provide a hotel like Ameriflight?

The Belgian dude is definitely still there. Still lives in the hangar too. Still cooks like a maniac and still likes to drink and smoke a nice cigar on the weekend. Good guy, if you can get past the "Americans this americans that" schtick.

To answer your question, the hypothetical 5 leg run would be constant flying. I've never actually seen that one, but I started on a three leg run that paid minimum and you never really sat around. Now I'm on a 12 hour duty day run and 9 of those hours are spent cooling my heels. Net result: More money, less work.

Boris Badenov said:
The Belgian dude is definitely still there. Still lives in the hangar too. Still cooks like a maniac and still likes to drink and smoke a nice cigar on the weekend. Good guy, if you can get past the "Americans this americans that" schtick.
good description! every night there was the HUGE salad and 2 hours of running around the hangars. good guy though.

icefr8dawg, no run at ILM that i know of, unless there's one out of nashville going there.

rickyrhodesii said:
What's wrong with those two cites? I'd love to work in either of those two routes....expecially Birmingham!
i've been to birmingham a couple times and it actually seems like a decent place.
jackson, however, i won't be too dissapointed if i never go there again. 2 weeks was plenty. nothing to do there, and the whole city is located within the bad part of town.
rickyrhodesii said:
How could you fly 2 legs and sit around all with making $35k a year? Would that be longer run? From what i've found, pilots are paid $10/hour while on duty. So do you get paid per hour or by the route?
since there's so many different runs in the system, you'll find some like that where you fly a couple hours, sit around all day, then fly back home. pay is the same whether your flying or sleeping in the pilots lounge.

you get paid based on what the route says, or how long it actually takes you, whichever is more. say the run is supposed to take 10 hours, but your couriers are early and you get back in 9.. you still get paid for 10. the next day you've got weather delays and it takes you 12 hours.. you get paid for 12.
rickyrhodesii said:
So lemme make sure i got this right. If you're the last man on the roster, you get whatever run that is left? So your run/route could potnetially change every month/bidding peroid? Would this mean you were living out of a suitcase for your first few months?
once you get a run it's yours. someone higher than you can't bump you off the run that you've been on for 2 months because they suddenly decided they want it. tough luck for them, they have to wait until you don't want it anymore. there's exceptions, but that's usually how it works.

Gary Hillyer hired my in 1999. I thought he went to Airtran. Did he go back to Flight Express or never leave? Is Ernst still the D.O. down there?

S.

Gary went to Air Orlando flight school for a couple of years as the marketing director then went back to Flight Express (once a freight dawg always a freight dawg). Ernst is still there.

There are normally no overnights at Flight Express and therefore, no hotel. You are back at your base after up to 14 hours of duty. If the FBO has couches, great. Sometimes the FBOs get a little upset by all the freight dogs dirtying up the lazyboys and eating all the popcorn, though. One of my friends had a long (over 6 hours) sit at SGF and the FBO had banned all FLX guys from going in there. Some kind of spat with the company. Sucked for him.

The good news is that if you're lazy, you can find a 13 plus hour run with 2 legs and spend 11 hours sleeping in the FBO and being paid for it. I think there were a couple of those out of CPS and they typically went to senior 210 guys. I was LIT based and had all my sits at CPS in the hangar watching TV and listening to the Belgian guy bitch about Americans and George Bush. Good Times.

I'm the lucky inheritor of the SGF run, millhouse. They still allow us to stay just long enough to check the weather. Then it's off to our own devices. I hang around the terminal and use the wifi. Obviously.

Boris Badenov said:
I'm the lucky inheritor of the SGF run, millhouse. They still allow us to stay just long enough to check the weather. Then it's off to our own devices. I hang around the terminal and use the wifi. Obviously.

Do you buy gas at the FBO? Why do they treat you like that? When I was flying cancelled checks, I always made it a point to be on good terms with the FBO's that were on my route. I never had a problem with them treating me any differently than any other pilot. In fact most FBO's I dealt with back then told me that they liked us better that most coporate operators as all we needed typically was just fuel and didn't need our a$$es kissed by them like some corporate pilots and passengers did.

Latest resources

Back