• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flight Express hiring VFR guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was just making the point that a lot of operators whine that their pilots leave for the regionals or that it is tough to keep/recruit pilots BUT they then pay crap wages.

10$ an hour is not something to brag about. I live in a small midwest town with a low cost of living and the MCDonalds has a sign up that reads "8.50 an hour to start".

How much did you two tough guys make when you had 1200 hours?

I flew for FLX and took a pay cut to go to Eagle. At $23-24 an hour, that still doesn't add up to $100 a day. And that goes for all jet jobs you can get for first year pay, with some cargo/fractional exceptions. Sounds like you don't know too much about the industry right now, but are quick to complain. Yep, you're pilots all right.

I'm a piston twin cargo pilot that works 3-4 days per week and I'll still be taking a pay cut as a 1st year regional FO.

PC12Cowboy said:
Hmmm..maybe its just me...but if your flying a 20 mil aircraft and you are NOT making 125 dollars a day...then I would be interested in selling a BIG RED Bridge in SF....cause obviously you'll buy anything....like ...we cant afford to pay you more than 100 dollars a day for a duty day...as the operating costs are to HIGH.....

PC12Cowboy said:
so looks like amflight or something else is in my future.
I got 28 cents...might be able come up with a dollar.....MAYBE

All you do is complain...and guess what? Ameriflight pays less than flight express... (initially). It seems you're trying to convince yourself you don't want to go to a regional to me.

Anybody know if there is a training contract at Ameriflight (just curious)?

~wheelsup

Looking for a little advice on my situation. I'm 28, about to graduate with a BA. In order to get the degree, I eventually had to quit instructing. I meet the 135 mins by a whisker in all categories (I have a fair amount of actual, though), but I haven't had a flying job in about three years, and I don't have a multi-engine rating of any sort. What is the shortest and cheapest route to get on with an outfit like Flight Express? I'm impressed by what I've heard of their operation on this board, and of course the chance to build multi-time and getting paid for it sounds awfully good with those student loans looming over my head. Will FLX hire with only a single engine rating, let you get the multi on your own time, and upgrade you with a wet multi/instrument? Obviously, I need to work on my instrument currency, both regulatory and practical. What else ought I do?

Thanks in advance,
Boris

Boris Badenov said:
Will FLX hire with only a single engine rating, let you get the multi on your own time, and upgrade you with a wet multi/instrument? Obviously, I need to work on my instrument currency, both regulatory and practical. What else ought I do?

Thanks in advance,
Boris

See their website:
  • Commercial Single-Engine certificate with an instrument rating
  • 1200 Hours Total
  • 500 Hours Cross Country - point to point
  • 100 Hours Night
  • 75 Hours Instrument total - up to 25 in a simulator allowed
  • 50 Hours Instrument in FLIGHT - simulated (hood) or actual

I suggest a hardcore instrument refreasher course - Air Orlando Aviation across the airport has a full-motion GA sim you could use. Also, PM John Glenn, he's in the know about their hiring.

~wheelsup

Where did I fault the pilots? I was just making the point that Flight Express shouldnt complain about not being able to fill their pilot seats when they pay the same as McDonalds. If Flight Express paid 20 dollars an hour I can bet they wouldnt have near the turnover they have now.

I made $30K my last year at FLX, even back in '97. I started COEX and made $10.5K my firts year. hmmm. And no I didn't PFT, That was back in the 2000TT/500ME no pay days.

Last edited:
Moving on UP to the sweet side!

Again, please don't misconstrue my use of the term "idiot".
Nah!! No harm no foul.

I am glad to see a former freight dawg in a air-conditioned cockpit. I agree, 135 freight does make a diiference. I can still use about 10 more pilots so if you want you to fly a 210, call me!:D

Take care and much success!

YO! Spincter boy!

Checks said:
Where did I fault the pilots? I was just making the point that Flight Express shouldnt complain about not being able to fill their pilot seats when they pay the same as McDonalds. If Flight Express paid 20 dollars an hour I can bet they wouldnt have near the turnover they have now.

I'm not sure how you interpret the thread but I think you missed the point. By in large money is not the major issue. So are you telling me if I paid you 20 an hour you would join up right now? And you would stay flying with us for how long?

I was just making the point that a lot of operators whine that their pilots leave for the regionals or that it is tough to keep/recruit pilots BUT they then pay crap wages.

No whining here about anybody leaving for bigger and better. Quite the contary, we expect it and have no problem trying to get you time off for the interview. We don't always have the coverage but understand the importance of that next step and try.

10$ an hour is not something to brag about. I live in a small midwest town with a low cost of living and the MCDonalds has a sign up that reads "8.50 an hour to start".

So what's your point? 10 is 10. It's advertised. I thought at this stage of a pilot's career it was about the hours (particularly multi PIC). Has something changed?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back