Flight Express hiring VFR guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
John Glenn said:
They are still requiring at least 1100 total though. Most regionals will hire at less than that.

As a single pilot operation we are between a rock and a hard spot. You do need experience when you are the sole manipulator on board. If we did have a two man crew it would be different. Besides, when asked if the mins could be lowered the answer from the agency was NO!

Wouldn't it be a beatch to drive 6-7 or 8 hours and find out you are the 21st guy!

It would be BUT the more likely scenario is 50% of those who say they will be here won't even bother to show up. Of those 25% will have a sudden family emergency, one will slip in the shower, another will realize the airfare is too expensive when they wait until the night before to book, another will not be able to reach the dean of his intern program, another will have their mortgage increase overnight and they have to stay home and sign papers on Tuesday, grandmother will die (again), and that list goes on. The remaining balance of no shows won't even bother to call.

I promise you this, IF 25 FAA qualified pilots show up, 25 will start training. If 25 pass the training, all 25 will have a flying job!

The sooner we can get 210 drivers, the sooner we can put our guys in the twin. We want you in the twin as much if not more than you do. So if you want a flying job, we have them. So help a brother out! Oh yeah, we are offering our existing line pilots a $1000.00 IF they refer someone to us and they get on line and stay with for three months. BUT the the refering pilot must still be employed here at the 3 month anniversary.

Glenn, Is there a mass Exods of Flight Express pilots to the regionals? How many pilots have you lost in the last few months?

Like any other 135 company, we are losing pilots to regionals and corporate gigs all over the country. Also, despite what the check 21 "pessimists" have to say, we have new runs opening throughout the system. This is creating the high demand for freight pilots with FLX and others.

There seems to be an attraction to the regionals despite the QOL, pay, PIC time, and upgrade time. I think many of us that fly freight are happy with the QOL we have, and we are paid better than most regional FO's.

Follow up to flyinlow67

Hello flyinlow67,

What is your guy's pass rate?

Our pass rate really depends your skill level prior to coming here. We are not a flight school so you need to be good on instruments. As bad as we need pilots we will not just pass someone to get a body in the aircraft. I think some of us pilots, myself included, make certain assumptions about current instrument abilities being better than they are. If you can pass the FAA Instrument written and check ride, you will have no problem here.

Not to knock the training program you have, but I
guess the question I have is the quality of applicants you get.

You can't knock the training. Austin does an amazing job. I realized that after having passed it (WHEW!) and looking back on how much I had learned. One thing I can share with you confidently is the knowledge of just how good our training program is. But remember we do not give remedial. A pilot can either fly instruments or they can't. We train you how to fly for 135.

Are there a bunch of idiots who can't get hired anywhere else, or CFI's who just haven't gotten thier break yet?

Sometimes I think we all must be "idiots" to become pilots. But you got to admit it can be great, plus we do get to fly. Plus, CHICKS DIG IT! We are all waiting for our breaks!

I think the problem with the industry right now is that all these CFI's think they can skip the freight jobs and get on with regionals, so they don't even bother applying to them.

The problem with the industry right now is to all our benefits. I would rather struggle to get pilots in the door just to see them leave as a friend in 3 months. I have friends (former freight dawgs) who are now CPs and will not hire a pilot who dosen't have freight dawg experience. We have to be excited about the health of our industry. Single pilot freight is not for everyone. Fortunately their are 135 training programs in place to help make pilots aware of the challanges.

They just work at McD's

"Would you care for a hot apple pie with that order?" Seriously, when I was a CFI my student worked there and he made more per hour than I did. Now he owns them. Kinda makes me feel like the "idiot."

... when they could be gaining the best flying skills they will ever get.

No arguement here. You will go to your next interview as a potential Captain. Remember here you: load it, W&B it, manage the fuel, have the emergency, do the apch partial panel down to mins in actual (AGAIN), get WX, go around the WX (I do), 160 over the numbers at ATL while in front of and behind something Boeing made, file and CX, divert and navigate with a mag light stuck in your mouth. Whoops, I forgot this, AND BE ON TIME! Freight will help your career but it's a BEAUCTH.

Just my 4 cents worth.

"This FBO has great popcorn!"

Reply to STEVE

Is there a mass Exods of Flight Express pilots to the regionals?

Yes and no! The regionals have truely seen us as a great resource for great pilots. The guys here do a fantastic job and finally the industry sees it. Of course you can't do max rate climb/desend or 60 degree banks in the pattern any more, but you adapt. Some have gotten the job offer day after the interview, no SIM and start the following Monday. Which means less than 1 weeks notice for us. But, do a good job, get a good reference. We are realistic about the importance of your career. We lose pilots to Corp, Fractionals, Customs (they use a 210), Fed-Ex, all the regionals, check haulers (jet) and others.

How many pilots have you lost in the last few months?

Ouch! Well let me just say this about that. I can hire you and 24 of your friends right now if you are qualified.

As bad as we need pilots we will not just pass someone to get a body in the aircraft
Thank you!!!! I have personally witnessed a couple of mom and pop operations (I used to work for one) that would put any warm body they could find in the left seat just so they wouldn't lose the run they had.

As for the training...I belive it. I flew into IND just before and after some FLX guys in 210's. There wasn't a night I went down to mins that they weren't right there when they were supposed to be.

I truely belive I got my current gig because I was a freight dog. I had a friend I was going to bring on with me, but he opted to fly 121. He is now furloughed and I am moving up. Pay those dues guys and gals. All those checks and bags you sling are one step closer to the top of the food chain.

Again, please don't misconstrue my use of the term "idiot". When you flight instruct for any length of time, you see people that are just bound and determined to work for an airline, no matter what thier skill level is. I have had students and co-workers, that tried thier best, but some people just can't fly an airplane to commercial standards. These people aren't the ones I am refering to either.
The idiots are the ones that can do it, but for whatever reason, don't take it seriously or do stupid stuff, usually prefaced by "Hey, watch this!". Rarely a good outcome.

Sounds like G.H. to me. Hey G.H. havent talked to you in awhile, hope things are good. Sounds like my old alma mater is doing well.

Checks said:
Maybe if you paid more then you wouldnt have any problem filling your class seats.

FLX pays as well as any freight operator. $10 per DUTY hour. Not flight hour. I started in Dec. '01 and got a 12.5 hour run making $125 a day. I don't make that now flying a 20 million dollar jet!! Try some of the other freight operators and see what they pay. The only one that comes close is Airnet.

By the way Matt or G.H. Hope you guys are doin' well. Lots of good memories, and a few scary ones, at FLX. Now at TSA as a FO on the jet. Missing a lot of aspects of freight flyin'. I also get a lot of good respectful comments from my Captains when I tell 'em I flew freight before.

Hmmm..maybe its just me...but if your flying a 20 mil aircraft and you are NOT making 125 dollars a day...then I would be interested in selling a BIG RED Bridge in SF....cause obviously you'll buy anything....like ...we cant afford to pay you more than 100 dollars a day for a duty day...as the operating costs are to HIGH.....

Latest resources

Back