Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think it is just you!

PC12Cowboy said:
Hmmm..maybe its just me...but if your flying a 20 mil aircraft and you are NOT making 125 dollars a day...then I would be interested in selling a BIG RED Bridge in SF....cause obviously you'll buy anything....like ...we cant afford to pay you more than 100 dollars a day for a duty day...as the operating costs are to HIGH.....

Cowboy, you are in over your head here. You are giving advice to freight dawgs?
Are you STILL looking for a job? I remember your avatar said somthing about having the mins and please someone give me a job. So where's your resume? If you think you can do this and have the mins, show up Monday the 18th at 10am. No appointment needed. No SIM required, plus we put you on salary day one.

Personally I find your views entertaining. As hard as these guys have worked to get where they are, you might not want to dispense your brand of wisdom unless you can walk toe-to-toe with them.

Just my 2 cents

I used to work at FLX and can second everything anybody said here. They do expect you to move on some day and don't mind giving you time off for interviews. Yes, I did have to reschedule one but I was at a single-pilot base so they had to TDY a pilot down and put him up in a hotel. If that doesn't sound like much, just think how well most freight outfits would respond if you just suggested that you might need some time off for an interview. I know more than one guy at other, less reputable companies who were fired for interviewing somewhere else.

I also miss some aspects of flying freight but watching the weather in Arkansas and Missouri this time of year makes me appreciate my current job!! Thanks to everybody at FLX. You guys do things right.

Flight express has some killler runs. I know a guy that works about 3 hours a day and makes 19-20000 a year. Just like with any cargo gig in a small plane you had better be ready to fly in almost any kind of weather though. It looks like a good place to go if you are a CFI that needs to build twin time. There are other places that you do not have to fly a single for so long before going into the twin though, but some of them want twin time before you get the job. They are desperate for pilots! Good luck, and have fun being a fr8 dog!

Wish I had even close to what they want, sounds like a good place to me. I'm still working on my hours so I can fly when they figure out here that I'm past retirement.

Don't you think you should use the sim ride for an initial evaluation, here your going to put pilots on the payroll, there going to take a seat in training, and all the copies and paperwork that need to be administered to him or her. And candidates dont even have to pay the $300 to start training. Oh and then provided they pass the ground training (Good Luck!) now give some free time in a 210. After all that is finished you realize the candidate needs more work before he can start flying single pilot IFR 135. Like someone said FLX is not a flight school. Sounds like a big waste of resources. The simulator evaluation is a useful tool, thats all im saying!

Last edited:
Whew, I know.

HarbourPilot said:
Don't you think you should use the sim ride for an initial evaluation, here your going to put pilots on the payroll, there going to take a seat in training, and all the copies and paperwork that need to be administered to him or her. And candidates dont even have to pay the $300 to start training. Oh and then provided they pass the ground training (Good Luck!) now give some free time in a 210. After all that is finished you realize the candidate needs more work before he can start flying single pilot IFR 135. Like someone said FLX is not a flight school. Sounds like a big waste of resources. The simulator evaluation is a useful tool, thats all im saying!

Point(s) well taken. The use of the SIM is the norm except if broken. However the industry's demand on us for pilots and additional runs compel use to modify and/or change the procedures.

I recall a day when you needed more than 600/100 (banner towing the main portion of that total) to fly right seat in a 1900. Now some of those fortunate individuals are being hired by the RJ boys. I have 210s and Barons and need 1100 for VFR and 1200 for IFR.

Not too long along the SIM was down. None of the 7 candidates took a SIM ride but all 7 made it through the training and are flying with us. Just like those candidates that are scheduled to come in this Monday, we are all taking our chances. Aviation is changing everyday and we are working to move along with it.

When you mention wasting resources, I can only say there are no guarantees. There is no guarantee that when we SIM someone and they pass, then flight train, and they pass, and send them to there domicile, and they arrive only to leave 24 hours later. Resources are something that the industry seems to be in short supply of.

I am the one that said we are not a flight school. We're not. I also said, you must pass the training to fly the line. By the way, we just got 3 more new runs. I need pilots who can fly 135. I hope everyone who comes in on the 18th does indeed pass.

Sad part is, when resources are plentiful that means the industry is in a slump (again)!

That's what I'm saying.

Latest resources

Back