FlexJet lays off 25 pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cmon Reality man! Don't you remember

When you were Dookers age and knew everything?

One thing is indesputable.

In my case, I'm 52, I've been every age between where myself and Dooker are.

He has no clue (nor did I, nor you, or anyone else) what will happen to him in the future.

You young guys are alright really.

Someday you will (if you are lucky) pick up the "baton" from us and be old guys.

I hope your man enough to admit what a fool you were in 2009.

Have a good one.

Yeah, we get your sarcasm Dooker.

Thing is, all the guys over 60 (some over 70) have been excellent at all the things you're making fun of.

In fact last tour, I flew with a guy well north of 60, and he was getting to the bags faster than I did. He also had no problem moving the 65# raft into and out of the cabin and baggage compartment. I've flown with many "oldsters" and they do just fine with the physical side of this job.

Throw a fit when the schedule changes? Ha! I've seen the younger crowd do that far more often than the older crowd. It's always fun to watch a 20-something pilot make plans with an old drinking buddy in some city we're supposed to go to get all upset when the schedule changes at the last minute.

Useless on day 6? Haven't even seen it on day 7. Even with the sometimes extra early showtimes on the last couple days, they usually beat me to the hotel lobby by 5 minutes or so.

Can't adjust to the technology? Again, haven't seen it as a problem. As far as the actual flying and systems goes, these folks have been around the block plenty and know their stuff! Yes, there are a few who should be considering retirement from a skills point if view, but heck, I can say that about some young 'uns too.

Quite frankly, I see more attitudes of entitlement from the younger pilots than I ever do from the older ones. Far more whining from the younger ones.

Gun: That there is some funny stuff!! Soylent Green! Ha!! Now why am I hungry all of a sudden?

Mighty big of you to take up for all those old guys out there who still think the internet is a fad.

You're special!

Mighty big of you to take up for all those old guys out there who still think the internet is a fad.

You're special!

I know it!:D And smart and good looking to boot!:beer:

Nice of you to attack them on a medium you claim they don't know how to operate. Very big of you too.

Nice of you to attack them on a medium you claim they don't know how to operate. Very big of you too.

Look, Realityman, I'm sure you mean well, but the simple fact is, old men have no place in the cockpit. There comes a time in life when you just have to declare victory and leave the field, instead of climbing back into the ring time and again like some tired old punch-drunk boxer.

I would encourage all of the Ancient Ones reading this (seriously, though. Who am I kidding?) to find something to fill their days with. Consider becoming a crossing guard. Start a coin collection, or maybe a garden. There's still lots out there for you, if only you look.

It's time to pass the baton on to younger, surer hands.

You've earned it.

I would much rather fly with a 'older' person beside me than a 30 something dumb******************** ex airline FO who has now got his first captain job.

I hope I never have to fly with you dooker, you sound like a real fun guy to sit beside!

goodluck with your attitude.

I could care less what situation THEY are in. They've HAD a LIFETIME. Most of them 35+ years at the airlines or elsewhere. Why should I suffer because they are ignorant with their finances or they just "LOVE FLYING"? They are grandparents for christ sake. I DO know what situation I'll be in at that age which is exactly why we wouldn't be having this conversation if it were me that was 70 because I have ethical values and morals. I know some of these guys and none of them are here because they HAVE to be. The ETHICAL thing to do here is to let someone who is starting their career have the opportunity they did. They have had their chance, step aside and save someone's family that HAS a future, from turmoil. It IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

Thank you for your timely posts of your opinions. You’ve given me a bonus reason to work past the traditional retirement age. Irritating punks has always given me a special pleasure.

I suppose it’s because of all the spiked haired, underwear exposing, valley girl accented, pimple faced me generation kids that I’ve had to put up with in my life. I always felt that their prime motivation for being the way they were was just to upset their parents and anyone over 30.

I never dreamed that I would be in a position of ultimate payback.

Oh, I'm sorry Dookey. Did you say something too?

Last edited:
Realityman you must have been very fortunate in who you have flown with..Any Comedian will tell you the funny part of a joke is the truth and Dookers post was hilarious. What made it so funny was that it is the truth. Its no fun getting stuck with these old guys and you suddenly become single pilot (and I mean in and out of the plane) Have I flown with young guys that do nothing? YES..But thats more laziness. Good Post Dooker
And back on topic for me. Lets hope Flex Jet gets back up on there feet soon so we can all prosper.

Sorry Flex guy's about the furloughs. I feel for all of you, I got furloughed twice from FLOPS. IT DEFINITELY SUCKS!

As for the old pilots retiring.... I am only in my early thirties and I would love to be working right now. However, I do not believe that it is right to ask anyone to give up their job so I can continue flying! You have no idea what their situation is, stop whining and grow up. This is the career you chose and at some point you will be furloughed, just like the old guys were before us! This is nothing new and a lot of them went through it also. I guess it is our turn, so deal with it!

Now obviously if it was a safety issue then regardless of age they should not be in a cockpit.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back