First year pay at Spirit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dan Roman

I'm a little blown away at the vehement attack on the N/C for the first year pay in the TA. First off, do you want them fighting for more first year and get a little less elsewhere in the contract? That's how it works, you fight for how much you think you can get and than you have to decide how it is divided up throughout the contract, pay, work rules etc.
First year pay sucks, always has and always will, because nobody wants to pay more first year and pay less for the rest of your career. Right wrong or indifferent, that's the way our industry is.
I also saw people complaining about ALPA. ALPA is the vehicle, it's up to the drivers what they do with it, I'm certain these guys did the best they could under the circumstances, I wasn't there, so all I can say is good job and I'm sure you got a lot more than management wanted to give under very tough circumstances. The angry haters in the pilot group are going to monday morning quarterback you to death. Only they had the big picture of how long the pilot resolve could be counted on and how much they could push management. Way more complex than most realize.
I say good job balancing peoples lives with the reality of your situation.
Finally, the comments made included "Hawaiian got a good contract, how come you couldn't do that?!" Well yes we did, it took many contract negotiations, we didn't do it in one contract. BTW, HAL's first year is $36, Spirit's is 40-44.

Are you guys kidding me? At CAL newhire pay and lack of benefits are the biggest disgrace in a disgraceful contract. 1/3 of our pilot group has suffered under this in the last 5 years and it will be rectified in a major way. SWA, FDX, JBLU, ATN, World, and even bankrupt DAL can pay their pilots a living wage first year. Why shouldn't profitable Spirit? If previous SPA newhire pay was less and the $38.50 was a raise, it would be somewhat tolerable. But the fact that it is a cut, with no raise over at least 8 years with Obamaflation on the way, is ridiculous!

The sad part is, with the amount senior of FOs at Eagle, Comair, etc. with no chance of upgrade they will have no problem filling classes. Maybe that was the plan all along, hire FOs with no turbine PIC so they will be slaves to the company and not be willing to strike in the future since they will have nowhere else to go. Mgt wins again! :angryfire

I'm a little blown away at the vehement attack on the N/C for the first year pay in the TA. First off, do you want them fighting for more first year and get a little less elsewhere in the contract? That's how it works, you fight for how much you think you can get and than you have to decide how it is divided up throughout the contract, pay, work rules etc.
First year pay sucks, always has and always will, because nobody wants to pay more first year and pay less for the rest of your career. Right wrong or indifferent, that's the way our industry is.
I also saw people complaining about ALPA. ALPA is the vehicle, it's up to the drivers what they do with it, I'm certain these guys did the best they could under the circumstances, I wasn't there, so all I can say is good job and I'm sure you got a lot more than management wanted to give under very tough circumstances. The angry haters in the pilot group are going to monday morning quarterback you to death. Only they had the big picture of how long the pilot resolve could be counted on and how much they could push management. Way more complex than most realize.
I say good job balancing peoples lives with the reality of your situation.
Finally, the comments made included "Hawaiian got a good contract, how come you couldn't do that?!" Well yes we did, it took many contract negotiations, we didn't do it in one contract. BTW, HAL's first year is $36, Spirit's is 40-44.

Exactly right. Rare to see such common sense and coherence from a flightinfo poster.

Proves those at the top of our "union" are dumb-

something must be done to correct the seniority 'problem'-
we will not always have a favorable NMB- when we don't and R's don't let us go through the process- mgmt uses our seniority and 1st year pay against us-
PCL- you should know better.
It absolutely steals leverage from the entire industry- but ALPA leadership can't lead and MECs can't see past their own situation.

It's one main reason mgmt has had it all over us- they understand systemic issues- we don't.

waveflyer, what is the solution in your mind? The pot of money is now established. If the SPA MEC and NC felt that they could extract more money from the company, then I'm sure they would still be at the bargaining table. The fact that they got a TA indicates that they think they've reached the amount of money that they're going to be able to achieve in this bargaining cycle. So, that means that if you want the first year rate to come up, you're going to have to move the money from somewhere else. Do you want to move the money from the higher longevity steps? Do you want to get rid of the 1% increase to the 401k match? Do you want to increase the health care premiums some more? From where are you going to move the money?

You and I have always debated this, but you know my position: first year pay should be a number that a pilot can live on for a year, but it shouldn't be a major bargaining goal to increase it, and second year pay should be a big jump to bring you up to the real pay rates. I don't believe in wasting a big chunk of bargaining leverage on first year rates. But I'm curious what you think would be a wise move in this case.

Proves those at the top of our "union" are dumb-

something must be done to correct the seniority 'problem'-
we will not always have a favorable NMB- when we don't and R's don't let us go through the process- mgmt uses our seniority and 1st year pay against us-
PCL- you should know better.
It absolutely steals leverage from the entire industry- but ALPA leadership can't lead and MECs can't see past their own situation.

It's one main reason mgmt has had it all over us- they understand systemic issues- we don't.

What seniority problem? Not following you here.

first year pay should be a number that a pilot can live on for a year, but it shouldn't be a major bargaining goal to increase it, and second year pay should be a big jump to bring you up to the real pay rates. I don't believe in wasting a big chunk of bargaining leverage on first year rates. But I'm curious what you think would be a wise move in this case.

Yeah, real pay rates for real pilots (not those pesky new-hire interns!).

New hires: It's what's for dinner.

Latest resources

Back