• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

First year pay at Spirit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The stock market earns an average return of 10 percent over any 20 year period in history.

Taking this into account, on AVERAGE, in 7 years an investment will double at 10 percent.

Any increase in first year pay intelligently invested will double in 7 years (on average).

So in theory, a 10 dollar/hr increase in first year payrates equals a 20 dollar/hr increase in year 7 payrates, if the pilot puts the extra in an index fund.

I'll take early money over later money any day.

What seniority problem? Not following you here.

Mgmt knows that we would rather cut off our left ball than start over at the bottom somewhere else. The choice to leave a carrier (or strike and risk weakening your company) is already tough enough- the nail that seals that coffin is 1st year pay being in the gutter at virtually every next job-

And what is it's purpose?
Does anyone ever go through 1st year pay only once anymore- I'm not unusual and I've gone through it 5 times between regionals and commuters. You are very lucky if you only go through it once at the major/national level.

What I am concerned about is how it restricts movement between carriers- if you feel like you're on a sinking ship and are willing to take the hit in seniority to change companies- the outdated/pilot induced 1st year pay makes it almost impossible. And financially irresponsible in almost every case- now mgmt uses that against knowing that we won't leave and if they have a mgmt favorable nmb- game over.

Two more points- I know that only a very small % of legacy pilots will leave and make a lateral move- but don't minimize what even 5-10% can have on mgmt's willingness to negotiate- the free market is supposed to work for us- not just against us.

2nd think about the nature of Spirit airlines- the lifers may not care but there will always be pilots who use Spirit (and similar sized niche airlines) as a stepping stone and stay a relatively short while- this means a certain amount of turnover- and a certain percentage of pilots always on 1st year pay decreasing the overall compensation to the pilot group-

The stock market earns an average return of 10 percent over any 20 year period in history.

Taking this into account, on AVERAGE, in 7 years an investment will double at 10 percent.

Any increase in first year pay intelligently invested will double in 7 years (on average).

So in theory, a 10 dollar/hr increase in first year payrates equals a 20 dollar/hr increase in year 7 payrates, if the pilot puts the extra in an index fund.

I'll take early money over later money any day.

Thank you!
Well said !

I'm a little blown away at the vehement attack on the N/C for the first year pay in the TA. First off, do you want them fighting for more first year and get a little less elsewhere in the contract? That's how it works, you fight for how much you think you can get and than you have to decide how it is divided up throughout the contract, pay, work rules etc.
First year pay sucks, always has and always will, because nobody wants to pay more first year and pay less for the rest of your career. Right wrong or indifferent, that's the way our industry is.

It is time to quit talking about how you "split the pie". It is time to define how big the pie is. Seems to me that the Spirit pilots had all of the leverage that they needed......

As ALPA says "we'll get 'em next time"......

:rolleyes:

PCL-
why not average out the 1st 3-5 years of FO pay - as the previous poster said- think time value of money-
I'd gladly forego any raises for 3-5 years to avoid the crunch of 1st year pay-
this can be done in a no cost way- we just don't even consider it- the old "well I had to do it(!)" w/ no thought to how it affects our industry nationwide...

we've simply taken this 1st year pay standard as a fact of airline life w/o ever questioning it. It's dumb. No personal attacks- there's just no other word for it.

It is time to quit talking about how you "split the pie". It is time to define how big the pie is. Seems to me that the Spirit pilots had all of the leverage that they needed......

It seems to me that the SPA MEC and NC determined that they had reached the limit of the pie, otherwise they wouldn't have come to a TA.

PCL-
why not average out the 1st 3-5 years of FO pay - as the previous poster said- think time value of money-

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to that, but you'd find significant resistance from the pilots on 2nd and 3rd year pay who would take the hit to subsidize the higher 1st year pay. Also, during the following bargaining cycle, management will try to take back that higher 1st year pay, using the same arguments that they make now (probation, training costs, etc.), and they won't want to give you the higher 2nd and 3rd year pay back. It all would really depend upon an industry pattern being set. If the other carriers don't follow you during that bargaining cycle, then you'll be left holding the bag when your contract is amendable again. But if everyone follows suit, then a pattern will be set, and it will be far more difficult for management to undo the change during the next bargaining cycle.

1st grandfather- rates would apply to current new hires-
2nd- this would have to be a platform pushed and supported by National- set it as a priority- don't force it on any MEC but win their minds on the argument-
Spirit doing it alone wouldn't have a great effect on the industry-

At the national level- probation and training costs are a bullsh!t argument-
pilots aren't being hired at spirit from chieftains anymore- the vast majority at that level have significant 121 jet experience that doesn't deserve that argument even being entertained

It seems to me that the SPA MEC and NC determined that they had reached the limit of the pie, otherwise they wouldn't have come to a TA.

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to that, but you'd find significant resistance from the pilots on 2nd and 3rd year pay who would take the hit to subsidize the higher 1st year pay. Also, during the following bargaining cycle, management will try to take back that higher 1st year pay, using the same arguments that they make now (probation, training costs, etc.), and they won't want to give you the higher 2nd and 3rd year pay back. It all would really depend upon an industry pattern being set. If the other carriers don't follow you during that bargaining cycle, then you'll be left holding the bag when your contract is amendable again. But if everyone follows suit, then a pattern will be set, and it will be far more difficult for management to undo the change during the next bargaining cycle.
We're now Paying For Training? I thought you have said all along that there's no way management will let the ship sink while pilots are out on strike-especially a company making $100MM/year. There's simply too much money they will lose (not to mention all the lawsuits brought to bear by the shareholders who will lose everything in a bankruptcy.) Are you telling us that $20/hour pay raise for new hires (meaning $58/hour) will significantly increase "the pie?" That's approximately $15K a year/new hire. If Spirit hires 50/year, that's $700K-a drop in the bucket. When management did say OK to the additional $700K after 2 more days of striking, ALPA would simply say "Well, first year pay IS a right of passage in this industry, so we'll take that money and give it to the the people who can benefit the most, those at the top of the seniority list."

We're now Paying For Training?

Not so much the training, but management argues that a first year pilot is not producing revenue for the company for the first quarter of the year, because he's in the school house rather than flying trips. So, the way they look at it, they aren't getting a full year's work out of you, but they have to pay you for a full year's work. Of course, I would argue that that's just the cost of doing business, but the reality is that the first pilot group to try to change it is going to have to give up some bargaining capital to do so, and most pilots aren't willing to do that.

Latest resources

Back