Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

First Class Medical/Smoker, can i get one?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DenverDude2002

Ramp Rat
Ive been smoking since about October now, cutting back but still doing it when I get the urge to, has my first 4 in over 3 days tonight. Im trying to quit but thats doubtful in the near future. Is it still possible for me to get a first class medical? Im thinking about finishing my pvt and playing the ratings game, and maybe trying to go corp/commercial in 5-10 years. Thanks

Yes, you can get it.

DenverDude2002 said:
Ive been smoking since about October now, cutting back but still doing it when I get the urge to, has my first 4 in over 3 days tonight. Im trying to quit but thats doubtful in the near future. Is it still possible for me to get a first class medical? Im thinking about finishing my pvt and playing the ratings game, and maybe trying to go corp/commercial in 5-10 years. Thanks

You're kidding right?

Why would smoking prevent you from a 1st class medical? Unless you have advanced COPD I doubt you'll have a problem.

I think a bigger concern for most of us in this career would be passing the "good moral character" requirement of the ATP certificate...

DenverDude2002 said:

You can pass now, you're a young guy right? What about in 20 years when your dumb, smoking a$$ is hacking everything up, blood pressure is through the roof, can't pass the EKG, etc, etc. Stop now, don't be a moron. In 20 years a 1st class medical will be the least of your worries. Or you can keep going and just change your screenname to Iron Lung.

You can do it.

Quitting smoking is tough but it's worth doing, I smoked 2 packs a day for a decade and I quit. It only takes a year to really get over it, kind of a tough year though. Good Luck, Bill

P.S. You wont have a problem getting a first class until your first heart attack, or stroke, or maybe emphysma, or......

My old CFI is 65 smokes 2/packs a day, flew for US AIR for 30/yrs, looks like helll, but still holds a Class 1. In today’s world getting health insurance would be more challenging. BTW when I smoked I always laughed at some fat slob giving me a lecture.... Talk about the pot calling the Kettle black.

If you've only been smoking for 6 months, you should force yourself to quit Cold Turkey!

Use your self control...get over it before it really becomes tough to quit!

First Class Medical and smoking

Smoking is not a deterrent to getting a medical and you've already been lectured above about quitting. I would second the lecture, however. I used to smoke. You'll feel better, look better and have more money in your wallet. How much does a carton cost these days??

DenverDude2002 said:

You've been smoking for less than 6 months, quit..... It only gets harder.....

Latest resources

Back