Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

First Class Medical/Smoker, can i get one?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DenverDude2002 said:
Ive been smoking since about October now, cutting back but still doing it when I get the urge to, has my first 4 in over 3 days tonight. Im trying to quit but thats doubtful in the near future. Is it still possible for me to get a first class medical? Im thinking about finishing my pvt and playing the ratings game, and maybe trying to go corp/commercial in 5-10 years. Thanks

why in the hell would you even start?????

i'll never understand why people who didn't smoke previously, start nowadays, knowing what we know about it....baffling...

DenverDude2002 said:
I've been smoking since about October now...Is it still possible for me to get a first class medical?
You're kidding us right? You've been smoking for 4 months. Guy, there's no reason physically that smoking will prevent you from getting a medical certificate of any grade. However, just how stupid are you? Sorry, I don't have a lot of patience or sympathy when it comes to smoking and pilots. The best way to quit? Cold Turkey.

'Sled

Stop while you still have a chance.
I smoke of course.....but no troubles with a First class med.
Not yet at least.

Lead Sled said:
The best way to quit? Cold Turkey.

Yep. Probably the only way. That is how I did it (just over a year ago). Hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life, but I feel 1000 times better having quit. My main motivation was my newborn son, I didn't want him to have to live with it.

DenverDude, 4 months? Just throw them away and don't look back.

DenverDude2002 said:
Ive been smoking since about October now, cutting back but still doing it when I get the urge to, has my first 4 in over 3 days tonight. Im trying to quit but thats doubtful in the near future. Is it still possible for me to get a first class medical? Im thinking about finishing my pvt and playing the ratings game, and maybe trying to go corp/commercial in 5-10 years. Thanks

Ok....let me get this straight....you have been smoking for 4 months, and you're having a hard time quitting cold turkey? Bullsh!t. You can quit anytime. At 4 months it's not a physical addiction unless you were smoking 10 packs a day. It's all psychological. Just quit. Don't pick up another cigarette. Trust me, it's possible....I did it after smoking for 7 years....YOU can do it after smoking for 4 months.

If I ever end up working with you and you are still a smoker, you WILL hear it from me. Smokers in the cockpit stink. The smell doesn't go away because it's embedded in their clothes. As an ex smoker, I am worse about b!tching about this than somebody that has never smoked.

By the way, a little insight as to what CAN happen. My father had a severe heart attack years ago. He was in intensive care for almost 3 weeks. The problem was that the drugs they were pumping into him to save his life were being attacked/counteracted by all the chemicals in his system from smoking 2 packs a day for 30 years. They had to up the drug dosages, but were dangerously close to killing him from an OD of those drugs. He went into cardiac arrest at one point because of the excessive amount of numerous drugs...but they brought him back. Do you want this to be you?

Luckily...he survived...and never picked up another cigarette. 30 years of 2+ packs a day, with numerous attempts to quit...and all it took was a near death experience for him to quit. Is it going to take the same for you to quit?

I am working on quitting, cutting back a lot, going to go cold turkey in prob a week or so if i can go without none-2 in the next week. I started because i was going through some rough **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** in my life, stupid mistake i know, I'll for sure be cold turkey by the end of march.

***. But for crissakes take that stinky-ass suicide sucker out of your mouth....

Last edited by a moderator:
DenverDude2002 said:
I am working on quitting, cutting back a lot, going to go cold turkey in prob a week or so if i can go without none-2 in the next week. I started because i was going through some rough **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** in my life, stupid mistake i know, I'll for sure be cold turkey by the end of march.

No excuses. It was stupid. Period. Just admit it and leave it at that. I was a total jackass for smoking even back when I did. We knew at that time that it was unhealthy. You definitely knew it. Take whatever cigarettes you have right now, crumble them in your hand and throw them away. Don't touch another one. Don't cop out and say "I'll cut back". Be a man, just quit. If you think you "can't do that"...then chain smoke(never stop, light one with the one you just finished) until you puke. If you get the desire for another, repeat. That's how I got a friend of mine(15 year smoker) to quit.

If you don't quit and need a medical, just go see Dr. Joe Battersby in PHX - lights up one when he's talking to you, and then another while he's checking your heart, eyes, ears, etc. Phenomenal guy, been doing it for a LONG time, and always a lot of fun (as fun as a medical can be!)...

DENVERDUDE,

Hope you threw the smokes out. Now, before you hit the gym. You need that little heart of yours cured. ^^^.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest resources

Back