First airline pilot paycheck

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Turtlesfly said:
For all the fun that people poke fun at us Riddle people, the one thing that it had going for it was the university's internship programs - because you got to "work" out in the industry and see exactly what happens and - among other things - exactly what you're going to get paid.

That way, before you jump in, you know what you're getting into. I am afraid that much of what happens at the recruiting level of the ATP and RAA's programs feeds people's false impressions about pilot workload/QOL/pay et cetera. We got to see it up close and personal before committing to the business.

Not having those university internship programs would sort of like be having those "arranged" weddings where you have no idea what baggage your future mate will have but you are now beyond the point of no return. :)

That's some advantage ya got there. Now, how are those student loans treating you!?

Uh RIddle, Why does an intership help...you had already be suckered into giving them how much money. Inters are the worst bottom feeders. Hey I'll update your jepps for free! yepe! Thats not an internship thats...uh cheap labor.

Congrats Jeroom. It is an accomplishment to be proud of. There's a lot of negativity on this site. I'm guilty of it as well. There will be plenty to get you down along the way. You should be proud of this milestone and the ones to come.
Hopefully this industry will improve and provide a worthwile career again at somepoint.

AdamKooper said:
my first thoughts when I got mine was

"What the ******************** is this ********************. These cheap mother ********************ers.!!!! ******************** Asa!!!"

L-M-A-O !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope - not all interns are bottom feeders. At least where I worked, the company was so thankful for what we were doing to help them that they sort of took us in as family. They had us over for dinner . . . we would go to baseball games together . . . . the reason that interviews are granted out of these projects is because they are willing to give that as a debt owed. Lots of work done - big reward.

And by the way, we are not suckered into anything. You don't say to somebody who has house payments that they were suckered into wasting all that money either.

jeroom said:
Hey....

Just a word to change that gray atmosphere that too often sits in the regional forum.....

I received this week, my first Airline Pilot paycheck, and I am very proud of it. Not that I have SJS or anything (which I don't), it's just that this check represents a lot to me...a great accomplishment, like my first solo kind of. It's not a lot of money as you may figure, but it means a lot!
I am still in training, I love it everyday, and I will wear that uniform with great pride.
I know this industry is not what it used to be...but I still think that the cockpit beats any office job (it has the best view).

Good luck y'all!

ps: express your thought on your first airline pilot paycheck here...

Great post. I quit a much better paying job to come to a regional but it was worth it. I felt the same way when I got my first check. Although I must say that when you get the 1st 2nd year check its even better! Just dont let all of the sour people get you down, they are just upset because they came to a regional to get 1,000pic and go to a major, as long as you didnt come for that its not a bad job.

Turtlesfly said:
For all the fun that people poke fun at us Riddle people, the one thing that it had going for it was the university's internship programs - because you got to "work" out in the industry and see exactly what happens and - among other things - exactly what you're going to get paid.

You are aware that non-Riddlers have the same access to those internships, right? Anyone who meets the requirements can apply and get accepted. I went to UT majoring in business while working on my CFI and was accepted into three pilot internships in 2003. Beat out a couple of Riddlers, too ;) .

Latest resources

Back