First 121 Job. How much did you Study?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Propsfullfwd said:
I was just wanting to know how much everyone studied a night when you were in training for the first time for a 121 carrier.​
None, 0 to 1 hour, 1 to 2 hours, 2 to 3 hours, 3 to 4, hours or 4 plus hours a night? If you would just let me know.​
Props​
You can never study too much! The alternative is FAILURE!
What's your choice?

Don't listen to this whackjob. He thinks he's too c0oL 4 sk0oL.

Study yer @ss off so you won't wash out over crap you gotta memorize. What else do you want to do while you are on training? Its not that long .. (I should know .. I've done the 121 deal .. how many times now .. zero?)

dash8driver said:
1-2 hours a day... but i deferred them and did them all in the last day. :)

Vik said:
Don't listen to this whackjob. He thinks he's too c0oL 4 sk0oL.

Study yer @ss off so you won't wash out over crap you gotta memorize. What else do you want to do while you are on training? Its not that long .. (I should know .. I've done the 121 deal .. how many times now .. zero?)
Mr. I-Meister (aka vik),

this comes from a guy who surfs pr0n so much he cant stop and reply to his messages. i cant wait to see you try to stop surfing pr0n long enuff to study your memory items...

Last edited:
How long? Long enough so you know it. At my first job, I studied probably 2-4 hours per night, depending on what we had reviewed that day. Some things were more difficult or important to remember (weather requirements, flows, profiles, limitations, memory items, 3585, etc.) so I'd go over them more. Also, some systems are more complex than others, so will take more time to master. It all depends on your level of experience (first turbine airplane?), familiarity with 121 operations (first job?), and studying abilities (do you learn by looking at it twice for ten times?).

Good luck!

Didn't you all have the tests to study from before you took em? Know the memory items and limitations cold and you will be fine. Add on the profiles and call outs for the sim and the whole deal is a piece of cake. I never could understand what everyone gets all stressed out about.

During basic intox, er I mean indoc you should spend your post happy hour time getting the memory items and limitations down pat because anyone that is qualified should have no trouble with the basic stuff. Then work on the flows and callouts. Towards the oral you should be able to look at any switch or light on the panel and explain it's function, power source, emergency operation, and any limits.

1st airline, 2-3 hrs
2nd, 1-2 hrs
3rd, maybe 1, depended what was on tv
Next job, ALL NIGHT if that's what it takes!!!

Best thing to do is play "Stump the Chump" with you buddies over multiple pitchers of beer. Does much better than craming your nose in a book for multiple hours.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back