Fired!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Depends...

Posted this on the Majors section as well. In this troubled indistry how does termination from a non union regional reflect upon chances of getting hired at major. Total time and PIC time not being a factor.

Depends on what you were fired for, doesn't it?

If you got a DUI or a drug infraction you can forget it. Your best bet would be to get a lawyer, spend whatever it takes, and get it expunged. Yes, you can do it, I know 3 guys that got DUI and possession charges expunged. Cost them between $10k and $25k to get it done, but they did, and it never happened.

If you were fired for a judgement call, and it is subjective, you'll probably be ok. It's all in how you present it. I normally would not recommend it, but if this is the case, you might try doing an interview prep, tell the pro's what your problem is, and they will give you professional interviewing advise on how to address it.

A failed training event can go both ways. At my last interview, there was a guy that had over 10,000 hrs, mostly PIC on an RJ. He was interviewing at GoJet for a PIC position on the CRJ-700. Previously, he was a United Express Captain and got hired at United, but he ended up needing an extra sim session during training, for whatever reason. "No problem", his instructor told him. He was scheduled to take the extra sim on Monday, the day before his checkride, and United announced lay-offs that weekend (the 1000). United said they would not give him the extra sim that they had no problem giving him the week before, and terminated him based on performance, instead. Now he has a failed training event on his PRIA record for the next 5 years, and his previous airline won't take him back. That guy didn't get hired that day because of that.

Presentation is everything. Spending money preparing for an interview is worth it if it's for the right reasons. Just don't PFT!

Last edited:
If you were fired for being an incompetent idiot, you have a future waiting for you in airline management.

Send me your resume.

If you were fired for being an incompetent idiot, you have a future waiting for you in airline management.

Send me your resume.

Frank, I gotta say, you crack me up. I don't know who you are, but you got it down to a science!

Would an airline even consider an aplicant with a black mark?...They say there are those that have and those that will.

Of course an airline will consider a pilot with a black mark. You fly long enough, stuff happens. You learn lessons, vow to "never do that again", etc. The problem is that a interview or a phone screen dealing with the issue is a very subjective thing, and the devil is often in the details.

For that reason, no one can really help you without a pretty good idea of what happened and exactly why they fired you. Were you forth coming and honest when questioned about it, or confrontational and dissembling when trying to explain? Was it a safety of flight issue or a off-duty company policy infraction on a layover (e.g.-the "Pinnacle guy")?

Were you fired or forced to resign? Each will have different paperwork in your file. Where was ALPA on this? Unless, of course, you fly those aircraft at SKYW.

Latest resources

Back