• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fired - Need Advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Also as an IOE instructor, maybe not just some bad visiual approaches, but maybe a very bad attitude, on your part or his (he could be an old grumpy guy that never made it to the majors, which will be me in a few years)

100LL... Again! said:
The screening and training process for military pilots is not comparable to the civilian world. Only the most capable make it, and ALTHOUGH they are low time, there is an unbelievable amount of ground training and prep that the typical light-plane CFI will not have. Plus, all time is highly structured to maximize learning. Light plane civilian pilot's training quality varies greatly.

Fligh time isn't everything, to be sure, but it really is silly that lots of people think that 1000 hours is all you need to fly a regional jet competently.

It is all SOME people need, and SOME need even less. But most of them would do well to get some real world IFR PIC in something that they can handle ALONE, rather than getting baby-sat at a regional.
Ok, good points.

Bankangle said:
Lets be real..the training is just a little bit different... However I am just basising my statement on my own experience. I have always thought of myself as a good pilot but when I had the kind of time he had, I think i wouldve been getting extra IOE too! I think its only after accumalating quite a few thousands of hours and a number of types, that you can look back and realize how little you knew back in the day.

always learning
True but my fiancee had 300 TT and 17 multi, got hired at a regional flying turboprops and did great. He is one of the best pilots I have flown with.

Diesel said:
As an IOE instructor for a long time in jets. The visual was the last thing wrong in a serious of events. There has to be more to the story. Remember the IOE instructor might have to explain to his boss why he failed you. Saying he failed you just because of a visual approach doesn't jive.

Sounds like there was more to it.

Diesel as always!!!...you're a doosh bag

cosmotheassman said:
Hey that would be one big paper bag Standby1. I'm sorry I just don't see any difference in visual approaches in a jet. the glide path is still 3 degrees isn't it? The only thing I could see would be a problem if they dumped you high and fast like they do in teterhole alot. Other than that, maybe he just screwed the one approach that meant it all?

There is a big difference in doing a visual approach in a jet vs. a prop.. A prop is WAY more forgiving than a jet is. When I was on the ERJ I remember pulling the power to Flight idle in cruise and waiting a full 2 seconds before the speed tape even started to move. A jet is way cleaner, way faster, and way harder to recover once you are out of position.

I was flying into Kapalua (3000' runway) on Maui a few days ago with a brand new FO (so they didn't recognize my predicament)...It's a new route so I was coming in from a different direction so all my landmarks for the visual weren't relevant. I wasn't paying attention and I ended up at 1500 AGL at 3 miles and 240 knots. Luckily, I'm not in an ERJ anymore, I'm in a turbo prop. I immediately recognized the situation and with some "aggresive configuring" I was able to get back on profile and stabilized by the required 500' AGL. If I was in a jet I wouldn't have slowed down until Honolulu. If I had 900 hours I would have been going around.

For you to say that it's the "same" can only mean one of two things...You have never flown a jet...or...you have never flown a prop.

Later

Many excellent aviators have busted out of military pilot training and went on to fulfilling the dream of having a career as a pilot. He obviously has some skill as a pilot or he would not have gotten as far as IOE the first time.

1. Decide if you want to stay in an industry where your career has more curves, bumps and dips than an old wooden rollercoaster.

2. Never lie about your problem, your hours or your qualifications; it will get into situation you may not be able to recover from.

3. Be persistent...continue to instruct...network with anyone who might be looking for a SIC guy...focus on getting to 135 PIC mins and getting a new job.

4. When you interview...try to turn that huge negative into a slight positive. What did you learn...how it expanded your knowledge of flying...how it gave you better SA or insight about high performance aircraft.

5. Don't give up.

I agree with all the other posters. OE Captains do not wash people out due to ONE bad approach. It's based on patterns, consistency, habits, techniques and application of company policy and procedures. Sorry it happened but it sounds like you've already been given a second chance with AmFlight. Study hard and good luck.

capt. megadeth said:
Dude, there are people with less time than this guy/gal that get into a bomber and friggin go to Iraq. Let's stop the low time dramatics.
Dude,
The military selection process is far harsher than TSA or any other regional, or major airline. I think the low time dramatics are being displayed for the civilian crowd. I kinda like the drama, keeps the 600/100 crowd thinking.
PBR

True but my fiancee had 300 TT and 17 multi, got hired at a regional flying turboprops and did great. He is one of the best pilots I have flown with

Maybe they should start giving commercial licenses at 30 hours, immediately after you SOLO. Then the airlines could hire people with 100hours and zero multi. I mean if your fiancee was soo damn good and he got on with 300 hours and just a ME titcket then why can't they hire guys with 100hours? An airplane is just an airplane, right?

May her boyfriend was already an employee of the airline and they had separate minimums for internal candidates. We're diverging from the original topic at hand; someone needed advice about being terminated but was not willing to share the entire story. According to someone in the training department, there's always more than being told.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back