• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fired - Need Advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey, listen to Richard. Those numbers are exactly what I was taught during training in the 727. Don't get too down I know it's hard not to. EVERYONE has done something they are not proud of, and if they havent, then they don't have much experience. Lord knows I have.

PilotBTS1972 said:
I recently completed training at a well known regional. I passed both my oral and checkride on my first attempt, however, busted my IOE line check for having to go-around on a visual approach due to an early base turn which resulted in me being high on final. I did have some extra time in IOE, but it was nothing out of the ordinary. The airline asked me to resign as a result of this bust. Since then, I cannot seem to get on with another regional and have been forced back into flight instruction. I am afraid that this scar has ruined my career. Granted, I am low time (920 TT, 150 ME), but I'm worried that I may never get on with another regional. Any advice from people with similar experiences.

As an aside, the airline I was with recently formed an alter-ego carrier and has been treating their pilots like dirt. I let everyone guess which regional I'm talking about.
Thst is SOP at my airline, not stable=go around, with no ques asked afterwards!!!

WhiteCloud said:
Sounds like your "well known" regional is Trans States. If that's the case they have a reputation for firing people on a regular basis. With your entry level hours and no previous airline experience any interviewer can understand how you might have been in over your head at the time. A company like TSA typically doesn't spend much extra time training pilots and they really don't care how far along you were in training either. A simple " I was in over my head at the time" followed up by a " I learned about a lot of weaknesses that I had as a pilot (situational awareness/instrument flying?) and I've spent a lot of time in simulators and in airplanes working on them so that doesn't happen again". At 1,000 hours you're new to all this. Work on it. WC (ex TSA)

I was reading this thread and thinking the same thing. TSA is spring loaded to fire pilots at any provocation. I can't really explain why they do this except possibly they want a certain amount of firing to go on all the time to keep up the proper level of fear. If it was Trans States, that's actually good news. Most other airlines know about this place and I've even heard of people going to interviews and being asked "have you failed a checkride other than at Trans States?"

PilotBTS1972 said:
I recently completed training at a well known regional. I passed both my oral and checkride on my first attempt, however, busted my IOE line check for having to go-around on a visual approach due to an early base turn which resulted in me being high on final. I did have some extra time in IOE, but it was nothing out of the ordinary. The airline asked me to resign as a result of this bust. Since then, I cannot seem to get on with another regional and have been forced back into flight instruction. I am afraid that this scar has ruined my career. Granted, I am low time (920 TT, 150 ME), but I'm worried that I may never get on with another regional. Any advice from people with similar experiences.

As an aside, the airline I was with recently formed an alter-ego carrier and has been treating their pilots like dirt. I let everyone guess which regional I'm talking about.

Did you require extra sim training before your checkride?

jehtplane said:
Did you require extra sim training before your checkride?

We've hired guys with failures and I know guys who failed out here and got hired elsewhere....It happens, Keep applying but go do some Mock Interviews or Talk to someone about how to handle the questions in an Interview. Try Lori Clark, you can find her on the internet. Keep Flying and stay current!

Good Luck,
PSACPSP

PilotBTS1972:

After reading all of this, it sounds like you had problems with visual approaches. Not just the last one, but most of them. I would guess that the IOE instructor probably worked with you on a number of different visual approaches where you had problems. The final go around was just the one that broke the camel's back.

Getting fired from TSA certainly isn't the end of the world. I'm echoing everyone else. Do the part 135 thing, build up some good solid flight times, then go try the regional thing again.

How do you explain it in the next interview. Simple, I was in over my head jumping from a C172 to an E145. It wasn't the knowledge that got me, it was the lack flight experience in something bigger and faster than a Cessna. To fix this problem, I took a job flying freight in a Navajo. I've been doing it for the last year, I've got x number of hours and passed checkrides now. I'm now definitely prepared to move on to flying jets.

If you want to, you will overcome this. Just because an airline turns you down once doesn't mean you can't interview again in six months.

Not to burst your bubble but, with your time, you should be able to make any visual approach in any aircraft. The perception is all the same with the exception of sitting higher.

Were you getting any aural warnings, ie, "sink rate"??? Cause if you did, then you are required to go around in most places. But, my thoughts are that if you are visual, there are no excuses except for wind shear. If you cant land a plane in VMC you're not fit for much in any airplane.

Last edited:
PilotBTS1972,

I had a hard time with visual approaches as well. Understanding what ATC expects you to do (ie when to start slowing from 250, when to start down, decent rate, etc.) Maybe that was your problem?

Use the 3:1 rule for altitudes though, it works well for judging altitudes.

~wheelsup

Last edited:
cosmotheassman said:
Not to burst your bubble but, with your time, you should be able to make any visual approach in any aircraft. The perception is all the same with the exception of sitting higher.

Were you getting any aural warnings, ie, "sink rate"??? Cause if you did, then you are required to go around in most places. But, my thoughts are that if you are visual, there are no excuses except for wind shear. If you cant land a plane in VMC you're not fit for much in any airplane.

Ease up a little bit. Every new FO has trouble with visuals in a jet for the first few hours. It's nothing to get worked up about. After a little while they get used to it.

Latest resources

Back