• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Finding a contract pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe having a schedule for the pilots would give you more predictability?

Yes, 2 pilots.

Here's your schedule: You are needed 24/7/365 unless otherwise arranged and approved. Keep in mind approved time off is often a sore subject for one reason or another. A spineless department manager (far too common) compounds this.

One needs to have a full understanding going into a 2 pilot operation. Big red flags are:

"we are looking to get a 3rd pilot" (says you needed to long ago as its obviously an issue thats come up)

"We can use contractors if needed" (have X amount of days been already budgeted so you don't analyze my request for a day off and weight it againt what it will cost?)

"Its mostly pleasure flying" (gone every weekend to Aspen, Vail, Nantucket, or Palm Beach. Who need time off when you go to such beautiful places?)

Its all part of the game. Know what you are signing up for even if you have to read between the lines. Dont complain if you didnt do your homework.

I have a question for everyone . I have a co-pilot that routinely decides to take a day off even after a trip has been scheduled far in advance . I have no problem with him taking off , the problem is he unloads this on me 3-4 days before trip and doesn't lift a finger to get a qualified pilot to take his place . Just would like to know how other flight departments would handle this . This guy has called me the night before a trip and bailed on the trip for some personal reason . Would like to know what policies are in place in other flight departments . Thanks in advance .

How about a policy that says show up for work or kick rocks.

Assuming that you are flying the CE500 in your profile; the next time you go to recurrent, tell him that you are getting the Single Pilot endorsement. Maybe he will wake up and smell the coffee. If not, at least you are covered until you can find his replacement.

I have a question for everyone . I have a co-pilot that routinely decides to take a day off even after a trip has been scheduled far in advance . I have no problem with him taking off , the problem is he unloads this on me 3-4 days before trip and doesn't lift a finger to get a qualified pilot to take his place . Just would like to know how other flight departments would handle this . This guy has called me the night before a trip and bailed on the trip for some personal reason . Would like to know what policies are in place in other flight departments . Thanks in advance .

Basically, your letting a jerkoff walk all over you and your owner....and that jerkoff should be happy to have a job.

Get rid of that loser....

And here I have the opposite problem. I was called up by a company to do some contract work for them. They just got a new turbine a/c and their pilot, who has zero time in it, just went to class and got his type and a single pilot waiver for it but the insurance was requiring him to get 25 hours with an experienced pilot in that a/c before they would give him the blessing. Because I own my own company now, I rearranged my work schedule and even canceled a horseback camping trip with some friends so that I could help this company out.

They had me scheduled for about 3 trips a month for the next 3 months. The first trip I was suppose to do got cancelled the day before. OK that happens, no big deal. Then the next trip came up and again the evening before the trip, their pilot calls me up and tells me that the owners want to save money and that they do not want to pay for a second pilot and its "just a short trip anyways" so they are not going to use me for this trip. I then advised him that I am cancelling all the scheduled trips with them and if they really need me, to call me 2 days before and I will see what I can do. Flying is not my life anymore and I was bending over backwards to help them out. I knew this bridge was a short one, that is why I accepted the temp job. What really pisses me off, is they are the ones who called me, I was not out soliciting. It did cross my mind to invoice them for some of the time due to the inconvenience.

It did cross my mind to invoice them for some of the time due to the inconvenience.

When I was flying contract I had a provision that if the said company cancelled within 3 days I wouldnt invoice them. If there was a mechanical, or inside 3 days the DO would have a bill sitting on his desk Monday:D Look at the bright side. Atleast your out of this rat race, that in itself should make your day.

Look at the bright side. Atleast your out of this rat race, that in itself should make your day.

Your absolutely right! Sometimes I forget how I was treated in the aviation world but these little reminders just kind of slaps one in the face. It just amazes me how someone can go and by a multimillion dollar aircraft just to skimp on pilots and safety all in the name of saving $1500.00.

Your absolutely right! Sometimes I forget how I was treated in the aviation world but these little reminders just kind of slaps one in the face. It just amazes me how someone can go and by a multimillion dollar aircraft just to skimp on pilots and safety all in the name of saving $1500.00.

It's simply lack of respect for pilots and safety from the owners and that comes from their lack of experience with aviation. Their pilot/manager should have explained this to them however it wasn't done. The view is that if the plane can be flown single pilot why waste the money for the other guy who would do nothing but fill the seat. I see this all the time.

The one that gets me are the folks who own an airplane, typically a King Air or Citation, and use only contract pilots. Then one day no one is available for their trip and the owners and the airplane manager are mad that they missed a trip. Had a guy get mad at me for saying no when I already had a trip booked with someone else. If you can afford the airplane you can afford the pilot salary; end of story.

Latest resources

Back