Finding a contract pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tracearabians

I have a question for everyone . I have a co-pilot that routinely decides to take a day off even after a trip has been scheduled far in advance . I have no problem with him taking off , the problem is he unloads this on me 3-4 days before trip and doesn't lift a finger to get a qualified pilot to take his place . Just would like to know how other flight departments would handle this . This guy has called me the night before a trip and bailed on the trip for some personal reason . Would like to know what policies are in place in other flight departments . Thanks in advance .

Would like to know what policies are in place in other flight departments.
Do you fly a lot? I mean a LOT? If not, you need to get rid of him.
If there's nothing weird that you're not telling us about the job, he's obviously not too interested in working there and should be replaced.
Seriously. Get rid of the guy and find someone who wants the work.

Is he salaried? If so, that's easy. Your flight department needs to set the policy and then fire him if he doesn't respect it.

If he is day rate there obviously isn't too much you can do except stop using him. Maybe he is ditching you because he makes more elsewhere? If you like him, maybe pay him more?

I try to honor my obligations in the order in which they are booked, but I would be lying if I said I never backed out of a low paying one for a high paying one. Got to do what you got to do sometimes. That being said, he is running the risk of ruining his reputation, but I have a feeling that he isn't too happy with what he us getting from you.

What size shoe do you wear? Double it and kick the person right up his/her butt.

You got 100 pilots in line for his/her job and if this numbskull doesn't get it, then you should lose your job for letting this go on. You're at risk!

Doesn't your owner every ask why the guy isn't in the cockpit when they're paying for him?

He's taking you for a fool.

Is this a young guy or some old retiree? Doesnt sound like a professional. If he continues to pull these sorts of stunts, drop him like a brick. There are plenty of people out there who are willing to work hard. Good luck!

A lot of employers require their employees to request time off a minimum number of days/weeks before the date of their vacation.

We have a set number of days that a pilot can take off with no excuses and the boss will pay for a contract pilot; when that pilot has used his days he can still take the day off but the pilot pays for the contract pilot. Our policy isn't perfect but we have 3 guys and we all like our jobs and we have never come close to using the alocated days.

As for finding a contract pilot, your profile says CE500, shouldn't be too hard to find somebody to fill the seat even on short notice. Ask around the local airports.

I have a question for everyone . I have a co-pilot that routinely decides to take a day off even after a trip has been scheduled far in advance . I have no problem with him taking off , the problem is he unloads this on me 3-4 days before trip and doesn't lift a finger to get a qualified pilot to take his place . Just would like to know how other flight departments would handle this . This guy has called me the night before a trip and bailed on the trip for some personal reason . Would like to know what policies are in place in other flight departments . Thanks in advance .

Is this guy an employee or a contract guy?

We are small and dont have much Policy. We have 3 Captains and we put time we want off on our shared calendar. We cover for each other and always assure the plane could be crewed. We dont use contract pilots.

I would never hire/keep/contract a guy who bails off a trip the night before for "personal" reasons....one needs to be sick or have an emergency for that.

And no, there are not hundreds of guys lining up to do the job these days. Finding a truly good, qualified guy to fit your operation is a LOT harder than people think. Good people usually have to be persuaded to leave their current job. Hire random unemployed guy and you often wind up with exactly what is going on here...

Who runs your department? They may want to have a chat with Mr. Team Player while searching for a good replacement.

Good Luck!

Our policy is:

All vacation is requested on Jan 1. At that point it is evenly distributed based upon requests. Ex, Last year you had July 4th, so someone else gets it this year( if requested). Last year you had first choice this year another guy goes first.

All requested vacation and personal days along with training are scheduled by Feb 1. Now the year is scheduled. If you choose not to use all of your vacation or want to change a week, that's fine as long as it does not conflict with another pilots time off or a pre existing trip.

Doctors visits and such alike are handled at the first of the month and are granted based upon that months flying schedule. Do not schedule a dentist visit the same week that someone else is on vacation or in training and then get surprised when you have to fly.

If you try to pull a day off at the last minute during a scheduled trip. then you are given the time off only if a suitable contractor is available and you must take the entire week. None of this: I need Saturday off for a last minute whatever and I only want to use one day, just so I can get out of the airline reposition leg to Anchorage for the week in Asia.

Latest resources

Back