• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Finding a contract pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We don't know enough to make a judgment here.

On the one hand, if you’re part 91 and this guy is contract then you get what you pay for when you use contract pilots. If the owner doesn't want to actually hire a pilot at a fair salary and provide the benefits that any other employee would get then either you or the owner deserve what you get by being too cheap to hire a pilot. Let’s be honest, either you or the owner have opted not to hire a pilot because its more convenient for you not to hire one. So, in exchange for that, you need to accept that sometimes your pilot will not fly for you if it’s not convenient to him or her. It’s that simple. It frustrates me to see owners buy a jet that they’re not even remotely qualified to fly themselves, choose not to accept the expense of hiring a crew and keeping that crew current, and then complain when they suddenly can’t make a trip in their own jet at any damn time they please.

Having said that…
On the other hand, it is without a doubt unprofessional to cancel on short notice. That does not obviate your culpability in not caring enough to hire a full time pilot, but yes, it’s not professional. More than that, though, if this guy IS a full time pilot, if you’re paying for his training & currency, and if you’re paying him a fair salary….then dump him.

We don't know enough to make a judgment here.

On the one hand, if you’re part 91 and this guy is contract then you get what you pay for when you use contract pilots. If the owner doesn't want to actually hire a pilot at a fair salary and provide the benefits that any other employee would get then either you or the owner deserve what you get by being too cheap to hire a pilot. Let’s be honest, either you or the owner have opted not to hire a pilot because its more convenient for you not to hire one. So, in exchange for that, you need to accept that sometimes your pilot will not fly for you if it’s not convenient to him or her. It’s that simple. It frustrates me to see owners buy a jet that they’re not even remotely qualified to fly themselves, choose not to accept the expense of hiring a crew and keeping that crew current, and then complain when they suddenly can’t make a trip in their own jet at any damn time they please.

Having said that…
On the other hand, it is without a doubt unprofessional to cancel on short notice. That does not obviate your culpability in not caring enough to hire a full time pilot, but yes, it’s not professional. More than that, though, if this guy IS a full time pilot, if you’re paying for his training & currency, and if you’re paying him a fair salary….then dump him.

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner.

I have to laugh at all the knee-jerk "Fire the guy!" comments. Wouldn't you like to know more . . . . like:

1) Is the guy an employee? If so, what's the policy?
2) If not, how often do you use him? Are you paying market rate or better?
3) Who keeps him current? Does he have an obligation to someone who does or who pays better?

I'm betting there are two sides to this story; if not, the guy has some "issues".

I have a question for everyone . I have a co-pilot that routinely decides to take a day off even after a trip has been scheduled far in advance . I have no problem with him taking off , the problem is he unloads this on me 3-4 days before trip and doesn't lift a finger to get a qualified pilot to take his place . Just would like to know how other flight departments would handle this . This guy has called me the night before a trip and bailed on the trip for some personal reason . Would like to know what policies are in place in other flight departments . Thanks in advance .

you simply fire him and find someone who values his/her job and wants to work.

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner.

I have to laugh at all the knee-jerk "Fire the guy!" comments. Wouldn't you like to know more . . . . like:

1) Is the guy an employee? If so, what's the policy?
2) If not, how often do you use him? Are you paying market rate or better?
3) Who keeps him current? Does he have an obligation to someone who does or who pays better?

I'm betting there are two sides to this story; if not, the guy has some "issues".

NO, I know enough....a flight gets scheduled far in advance and he takes a day off on that day and only gives the company 3-4 days notice he can't make the trip...AND he routinely does this....what on earth more do you need to know...........he's a scumbag taking advantage. PERIOD.....

NO, I know enough....a flight gets scheduled far in advance and he takes a day off on that day and only gives the company 3-4 days notice he can't make the trip...AND he routinely does this....what on earth more do you need to know...........he's a scumbag taking advantage. PERIOD.....

Newsflash- We've already heard one side of it; obviously there's another side to it. :rolleyes:

Clearly, this "job" isn't his number one priority; I'd be interested to know more about the "job" before just deciding the guy's a scumbag. There are plenty of operators out there that deserve the title of "scumbag", too.

Last edited:
If it were that bad, and he had any balls, he'd quit.
I suspect he is, indeed, a scumbag.

Latest resources

Back