• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Are you a member?

• I be a member.

Votes: 231 78.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 64 21.7%

• Total voters
Flying magazine is mildy entertaining, You can find really cheap multi-year subscriptions on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-yr-FLYING-Magazine-Subscription-36-NEW-Issues_W0QQitemZ7043383088QQihZ014QQcategoryZ16118QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

AOPA Pilot is good but since I won't rejoin AOPA I have to rely on stealing past issues from different FBO's.

Pilot Journal is great, Lots of glossy pictures and they seem to bring back the romance of flying in their articles.

Flight training is good too, except for the yearly "Learn to Fly" issue. I already know how to fly and don't need a lesson on how to find the right instructor.

Murdoughnut said:
Anyone ever read an old book called "Unfriendly Skies" by the anonymous "Captain X"? It's sorta dated (1970s) but had some pretty good criticisms of AOPA policies with regards to safety. Not sure if any of it still applies.

I read that book twice, early on when I first got into flying.

been a member since 1999, love it! love the mag, love flight training mag, and have taken advantage of some of the benefits. when my husband passed in 04 they actually sent me a letter saying that since he was a member there was a $500 life insurance policy that i could cash in on. i filled out the paperwork and they sent me the check within a couple weeks.

i rather enjoy that there's still an organization out there as an advocate to GA. they will continue to get my 37/yr for as long as i continue to fly!

AWACoff said:
AOPA is so pro-GA, they are anti-safety at times. I personally am not a member and doubt I ever will be. Your dues would be a lot less per year if they would stop junk mailing me twice a month. I have called and told them to stop yet they keep wasting your hard earned money on me. What a thrifty organization.

PS. before you go "ANTI-SAFETY!?", let's not forget the transponder debacle.

I am a member, but honestly, it doesn't make me feel good about how they use membership dues. I agree on the junk mailer stuff. They have my e-mail address. The online technologies today can easily reduce their mailings, if not eliminate it completely. My suspicion is that they're sleeping with some folks to keep people on staff. They're not the most efficient organization for sure. There was this one year where they were saying how they're strapped for cash. Uhm...stop mailing me and the rest of your membership junk mail? All that paper and postage must cost a fortune! They just don't get it. I'm about one foot out the door with them.

Flying Ninja said:
They just don't get it. I'm about one foot out the door with them.

And thanks to the positive replies to this thread, I just renewed my membership. Been expired a few months.

Murdoughnut said:
Anyone ever read an old book called "Unfriendly Skies" by the anonymous "Captain X"? It's sorta dated (1970s) but had some pretty good criticisms of AOPA policies with regards to safety. Not sure if any of it still applies.

Want to talk about a useless magazine, my g/f bought be a subscription to Flying. Seriously, what portion of the population would really benefit from an article weighing the benefits of purchasing a Gulfstream over a Citation?

If I remember correctly, old Captain X was pretty harsh on civillian pilots, too.

I agree about Flying, however. IMHO, without Bax and Len Morgan, their best days are behind them.

Nu

Some guy slipped me $5 in a pilot shop so I could send him an AOPA sticker for his car. I told him to keep his money and I'd send him one (never did). He wasn't even a pilot, just wanted the sticker to pick up BABES.

Now that's a new one, most AOPA guys are geeks anyway, right :)

And that silly AOPA sticker on your worn out 10 year old car probably means you don't have lots of money to impress the BABES with.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back