• Friendliest aviation community on the web

Are you a member?

• I be a member.

Votes: 231 78.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 64 21.7%

• Total voters
In defense of AOPA magazine

Although I am a commercial pilot I believe AOPA magazine is an excellent publication. I would rather read it than any of those others that talk about overpriced planes and the "latest" in how to be a safe pilot.. same stuff over and over and over.
Also, since I still enjoy GA, I feel it is worthy of support. My pilot training took advantage of GA, and I want it to be around for future generations of pilots.
Just my personal opinion though ;)

Good stuff, Maynard

I've been a member since I got my CFI in 1992. The AOPA serves the GA community very well. I've called them several times for FAR interpretation stuff (very helpful!) and once for a friend with a possible FAA violation. Even as a big-shot airline pilot (somebody re-hire me, please!) I've never lost touch with GA and I want to stay informed.

BTW I fully support AOPA's efforts for CGX (Meigs). I can't believe I've actually voted for Daley. Quoth the raven, Nevermore!.

I am a member. I don't usually have time to read the magazine though. Another good "overpriced magazine subscription" is the Soaring Society of America. A lot of soaring clubs out there require you to be SSA members to join. Great mag.

-Goose

Old School Thread!

Geez, Egg you went deep into the dungens of FI to find this thread huh. :D

Member since '02 and renewin' in March! I like that they support GA, if sometimes (in the opinions of others) the go to far, but what's that saying... Drastic situations call for drastic measures? Or something like that.

I support GA and AOPA!!! :beer:

eP.

flywithastick said:
anyone who thinks the AOPA is about airlines and magazines just doesn't get it.

They can save the paper my mag is printed on. It's about advocacy for me as a GA pilot, keeping the idiot bureaucrats AND airline interest groups away from me. I've given them donations above the $39/yr too.

Not about safety?! OOOO-K. more instruments and rules doesn't guarantee increased safety.

Yeah, I don't get these people that don't see the need for supporting a very effective GA organization now that they are "in the regionals" or whatever. Wow, great way to forget your roots. :rolleyes: Pretty much all of the experienced guys I know that are senior airline capts, high up in the airforce, etc. are very pro-GA and lifelong AOPA members. Amazing some of the arrogance I see here by "pilots" that are just barely breaking in the professional ranks. Glad to see most here understand that GA has its back against the wall and is in need of all of us.

TWA Dude said:
I've been a member since I got my CFI in 1992. The AOPA serves the GA community very well. I've called them several times for FAR interpretation stuff (very helpful!) and once for a friend with a possible FAA violation. Even as a big-shot airline pilot (somebody re-hire me, please!) I've never lost touch with GA and I want to stay informed.

BTW I fully support AOPA's efforts for CGX (Meigs). I can't believe I've actually voted for Daley. Quoth the raven, Nevermore!.

Haven't had to use them for legal advice (yet, knock on wood). But I have emailed and called them on various issues. Phil Boyer himself has responded personally and quickly on several of those issues. Out of all the other organizations I am part of (professional and recreational), I have never experienced such great service.

Nope, I used to belong but not anymore and probably won't subscribe again. (I do enjoy the magazine though, I can usually find a copy sitting in an FBO).

wrxpilot said:
Yeah, I don't get these people that don't see the need for supporting a very effective GA organization now that they are "in the regionals" or whatever. Wow, great way to forget your roots. :rolleyes: Pretty much all of the experienced guys I know that are senior airline capts, high up in the airforce, etc. are very pro-GA and lifelong AOPA members. Amazing some of the arrogance I see here by "pilots" that are just barely breaking in the professional ranks. Glad to see most here understand that GA has its back against the wall and is in need of all of us.
No kidding. Those big iron guys who look down their noses at the piston/GA crowd once they “make it” are just glorified bus (truck) drivers, IMHO.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back