• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Are you a member?

• I be a member.

Votes: 231 78.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 64 21.7%

• Total voters
If you're a member, you can read all the magazine articles from both Pilot and Flight Training. Just make sure you go to the archive link under the "Resources/Info" of the "Member's Only Section". I think both are pretty good but Flight Training was better when it was owned by NAFI. The magazines are worth the $39 and it/they is/are the principle reason I joined. Unfortunately you can't view the pictures with the online version.

Last edited:
I dropped them!

In 1990 I was laid off and couldn't part with 39 bucks at the time. When they called for the renewal money I explained my situation and was informed of all the great things AOPA does for the aviation community.
So I say, "Help me find a job and I'll pay"
He says, "That's not what were here for"

So I hung up.

They have wasted a small fortune trying to get my renewal.

Sphincter Boy said:
Member since a student pilot in '91.
**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**, care to tell any WWII stories? :p :)

AOPA is so pro-GA, they are anti-safety at times. I personally am not a member and doubt I ever will be. Your dues would be a lot less per year if they would stop junk mailing me twice a month. I have called and told them to stop yet they keep wasting your hard earned money on me. What a thrifty organization.

PS. before you go "ANTI-SAFETY!?", let's not forget the transponder debacle.

AOPA is a great organization. Boyer is not all that bright and sometimes not "all here" but AOPA still provides a great service and does a lot of work to protect GA in the US.

Wish I was not paying for Boyer's Citation Jet and his pilot ( you don't think they would let him fly by himself, even in a CJ, do you? ) But the rest of my $39 is well spent.

400k members

"July 24 — AOPA, already the world's largest civil aviation organization, is very close to passing a major milestone — 400,000 members."

400,000 X $39 =15,600,000 / year now that's a pretty penny

my money goes to aopa great pro GA organization a bit expensive if you think of it as just a magazine subscription but that's not what it is

Re: 400k members

darien said:
[B400,000 X $39 =15,600,000 / year now that's a pretty penny

Thats just bare dues. Some folks actually donate additional money along with their $39 membership.

anyone who thinks the AOPA is about airlines and magazines just doesn't get it.

They can save the paper my mag is printed on. It's about advocacy for me as a GA pilot, keeping the idiot bureaucrats AND airline interest groups away from me. I've given them donations above the $39/yr too.

Not about safety?! OOOO-K. more instruments and rules doesn't guarantee increased safety.

I've got it! Let's treat it like the airlines want it... no GA in the air! That'll be more safe. Or like the feds want it!! NO airplances in the air!! That'll be the safest! Where's the cost vs. benefit in requiring some middle income guy buzzing around in his -150 requiring him to have a TCAS system? How many -150's are plowing into jets these days? unrealistic objection, IMVHO!

flywithastick said:
anyone who thinks the AOPA is about airlines and magazines just doesn't get it.

Obviously they aren't about the airlines, but it is easy to use the magazines as a justification for paying the $39. That doesn't mean that the mags are the only thing worth paying for, but proves the point that it is a bargain for what you get.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back