• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Are you a member?

• I be a member.

Votes: 231 78.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 64 21.7%

• Total voters
I've been an AOPA member, off and on, sense 1976 missing only about five years. The mag has become more of an advertisement of high end aviation than anything else. If I had the money it cost them to mail all the junk they sent me over the years I'd still own an airplane. I guess they are good for GA but I still feel like it's no different than government. I'm just paying the way for the monkey's in the top of the tree.

Been a member since 89 and finally letting it go after this month. Now that I fly for a living I can't afford to fly GA so there isn't a lot that's relevant to me in the magazine. Have not had to use their services that much. Find the magazine is usually just full of ads for overpriced aviation gear, flight schools, and the same articles rehashed every few months about flying in TSTMS or how to land. Throw in the article on the latest $2.5 million airplane or some guys renovated Baron/Bonanza that's now worth $750,000 and it becomes a quick read.

The best article I've seen lately has been the one by Schiff in the last issue or so about how bad flying in the airlines has become. Kinda surprised that one made it past the editor considering how many flight schools promising airline careers advertise in that mag.

Huggyu2 said:
"Kind of lame for professional pilots"
"Don't need it now that I fly for regionals"
Seems like a lot of pilots give up GA, or "fun" flying, once they become "professionals". Sad.
Also, as a 20+ year "professional pilot", I find I can still learn quite a bit from folks that fly J-3 Cubs for a living.
I remember a Captain at UAL saying that he wouldn't fly GA anymore. "Too dangerous, now that I'm making big money as a Captain".

You'll find him on flightinfo telling people to choose another career.

Q200_FO said:
I got rid of them a couple of months ago. Don't really have a need for all the GA services now that I fly for a regional. All that legal stuff they offer is already provided for by my union through the dues I pay every month. Plus their main priority is GA not the airlines. My main argument was that I'm not going to support AOPA if they're willing to blow 40+ million on saving Megis when there are more important things out there that matter to me, like that crappy rule the TSA has that can take away my ticket. I will probably never use Megis so the matter if that field stays or goes isn't on the top of my list of priorities.

That's exactly the problem. You are now a might regional pilot and have forgotten where you came from. A lot of professional pilots have gotten their start in GA. GA is in huge trouble of disappearing, with rising fuel costs, proposed user fees, etc. Some of us still enjoy flying a taildragger off a grass strip. But then again you probably whine about slowing down for a Cessna.

Anyone ever read an old book called "Unfriendly Skies" by the anonymous "Captain X"? It's sorta dated (1970s) but had some pretty good criticisms of AOPA policies with regards to safety. Not sure if any of it still applies.

Want to talk about a useless magazine, my g/f bought be a subscription to Flying. Seriously, what portion of the population would really benefit from an article weighing the benefits of purchasing a Gulfstream over a Citation?

Murdoughnut said:
Want to talk about a useless magazine, my g/f bought be a subscription to Flying. Seriously, what portion of the population would really benefit from an article weighing the benefits of purchasing a Gulfstream over a Citation?

Actually, it was a wee bit upsetting last week, when Barns & Noble had no Flying magazine on the shelf; which makes good reading while sipping margarita's by the lake. It's one of my favorites, and has been for a long time. I happen to like that high tech expensive stuff!

I haven't been a member since a few years after I started flying for the regionals. Again I don't have the money to fly on my days off. (I've got 4 mouths to feed). After while I began to realize that though I used AOPA when I first started flying, once I got my CFI all of the articles didn't seem to be aimed at me at all. I felt that I had my roots in GA as I tried to make a career out of flying (instructing, flying freight, regionals, etc) but once I started flying professionally I felt like they just forgot about me. They didn't care about somebody making $20,000/year flying freight or $19/hr flying a regional airliner. Instead they focused on their main money base: rich doctors and lawyers who fly. Their ads, their articles all focused on the wealthy who can afford to fly GA and spend the money the ads are all for. For years I had deluded myself into thinking Boyer's editorials were what I believed in saving GA. Instead I started realizing that he and AOPA is all for the big money in aviation. The "FAT CATS" as John McCain called them all seeking more goverment subsidies for their corporate jets and million dollar bonanzas. Don't get me wrong. I'm not against GA. But AOPA is definitely not for the GA pilot who is trying to become a future professional in this industry. All that blood sweat and tears is on your own and AOPA isn't there to help you unless you quit and go to Medical school and buy an airplane.

SkyWestCRJPilot said:
I haven't been a member since a few years after I started flying for the regionals. Again I don't have the money to fly on my days off. (I've got 4 mouths to feed). After while I began to realize that though I used AOPA when I first started flying, once I got my CFI all of the articles didn't seem to be aimed at me at all. I felt that I had my roots in GA as I tried to make a career out of flying (instructing, flying freight, regionals, etc) but once I started flying professionally I felt like they just forgot about me. They didn't care about somebody making $20,000/year flying freight or $19/hr flying a regional airliner. Instead they focused on their main money base: rich doctors and lawyers who fly. Their ads, their articles all focused on the wealthy who can afford to fly GA and spend the money the ads are all for. For years I had deluded myself into thinking Boyer's editorials were what I believed in saving GA. Instead I started realizing that he and AOPA is all for the big money in aviation. The "FAT CATS" as John McCain called them all seeking more goverment subsidies for their corporate jets and million dollar bonanzas. Don't get me wrong. I'm not against GA. But AOPA is definitely not for the GA pilot who is trying to become a future professional in this industry. All that blood sweat and tears is on your own and AOPA isn't there to help you unless you quit and go to Medical school and buy an airplane.

A 757 F/O with class envy??? lol :)

i'm a 727 guy,but i still love my time flying the Aeronca, AOPA helps keep that alive, they will continue to get my 37 bucks per annum.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back