• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Are you a member?

• I be a member.

Votes: 231 78.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 64 21.7%

• Total voters
I have paid for my membership for...lets see...

I have maxed out my AOPA rebate on my credit card for 3 years. $250X3=$750. That works out to 19 years:)

Now my friends...the aopa credit card with the 5% rebate IS the best benifit:)

Wankel

ePilot22 said:
Geez, Egg you went deep into the dungens of FI to find this thread huh. :D

Sorry, that was actually my doing. I was searching to see how many FI members are also AOPA members, found this thread, and voted in the poll to see the results. That bumped the thread.

Oops

Booker said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ePilot22
Geez, Egg you went deep into the dungens of FI to find this thread huh. :D

Sorry, that was actually my doing. I was searching to see how many FI members are also AOPA members, found this thread, and voted in the poll to see the results. That bumped the thread.

Well shame on you then!! How do you do such a thing? Haha ;)

No need to apologize! It looks like a great thread and in would be nice to see it added to.

Good work Booker :beer:
Wankel7 said:
Now my friends...the aopa credit card with the 5% rebate IS the best benifit:)

Couldn't agree more!! I max my 5% limit out to quickly, 10% would really be much better!

eP.

Last edited:
Member since 1966 (except for a few lean years in college and right after). Don't agree with them on everything, but well worth the money.

They are obviously oriented more toward private aviators than professional ones. They made an effort to increase the interest of professional pilots a few years ago when they added the "Turbine Pilot" section to some copies of the AOPA Pilot. (I haven't noticed that banner on the cover for awhile - does anyone know if they have dropped the feature?)

Their website is useful, though I don't visit it often. They are a good resource for many issues, especially on buying/selling aircraft and on medical and legal issues. I have never used their insurance of credit card programs, but I think it is great that they are available to those who want them.

Again, worth the money for most, IMHO.

Q200_FO said:
............All that legal stuff they offer is already provided for by my union through the dues I pay every month. Plus their main priority is GA not the airlines. My main argument was that I'm not going to support AOPA if they're willing to blow 40+ million on saving Megis when there are more important things out there that matter to me, like that crappy rule the TSA has that can take away my ticket. I will probably never use Megis so the matter if that field stays or goes isn't on the top of my list of priorities...........

Think again about the legal services. I have spoken with a couple of pilots who have used AOPA legal in addition to ALPA legal for FAA battles and both said the AOPA guys ran circles around the ALPA lawyers.

The Meigs battle won't matter to you until the GA airport that you want to fly out of gets closed down for some BS reason. Besides just being wrong, its a precedent that just makes the snowball bigger. Life is just like driving, you've got to look further down the road to avoid suffering the effects of the idots out there...........

AOPA is a political organization. They push the issues of their membership. The front section of every magazine talks about what AOPA is doing on CapHill.

They have an PAC and they ask their members to contribute in addition to thier dues.

"Kind of lame for professional pilots"
"Don't need it now that I fly for regionals"
Seems like a lot of pilots give up GA, or "fun" flying, once they become "professionals". Sad.
Also, as a 20+ year "professional pilot", I find I can still learn quite a bit from folks that fly J-3 Cubs for a living.
I remember a Captain at UAL saying that he wouldn't fly GA anymore. "Too dangerous, now that I'm making big money as a Captain".

ShawnC said:
Personally the favorite of the two AOPA rags is their Flight Training Mag.

Now EAA's Sport Aviation is the one that I eagerly wait for every month.

I'm a member of EAA because I love home builts. I saw a couple of issues of AOPA's Flight Training magazine and I really liked it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back