Final 717 begins production

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
typhoonpilot said:
No they don't, it's across the field and completely separate.
TP
same company, same airport = same land.
it's owned by boeing

fletch717 said:
same company, same airport = same land.
it's owned by boeing

Umm, no. :erm: It's a completely separate plot of land on a separate side of the airport. Same company, different land.

If Boeing sells the land that housed the 717, MD-80, MD-90, and MD-11 production as well as all the buildings on THAT side of the airport it would in no way effect the C-17 production, which again, is on the opposite side of the airport. :p

TP

boeing747-800 said:
Boeing was always better

Maybe, but that won't stop me from liking the 80. At my last airline I was doing initial on the MD-80 and 737 FO's were upgrading into the left seat; they brought that old joke back: "Boeing builds airplanes, Douglas builds character".

Sure, it has it's quirks, but can't a jet that makes you work for it be endearing? I have flown a 737 sim and it was a very pleasant experience. I know it is beloved as well but they are plenty of DC-9 and MD-80 pilots who have affection for their aircraft.

Ever watch an excellent landing by a diesel or 80 pilot? A beutiful thing, I can't say the same for the 73. Just my opinions.

ultrarunner said:
I'm surprised they kept a line open that only produced 150 or so planes to begin with.

I gotta believe that the land in Long Beach is going to vield more profit than those 150 planes ever did.

From the article: "The 717 model is the last commercial airplane produced in the Southern California factory. More than 15,000 airplanes have been produced in Long Beach since the plant opened in 1941."

There's been a few more than 150 airplanes produced there.

And C-17 production is on the chopping block too. Read a trade rag a few weeks ago that indicates the Air Farce intends to spend billions to update the C-5 fleet and will probably stop buying C-17's.

Go figure. C-17 has the range and speed of the C-5 and the rugged capability of the C-130. Nah, can't buy any more of those and retire the beaters....

Boeing may still produce the 737 but the DC9 family has been produced non-stop for 41 YEARS, I dont care who you are that says a thing or 41 about the type. Long live American airframes.

180ToTheMarker said:
Sad indeed. Always been a Douglas fan.

Likewise. I was a Douglas kid-my dad, rest his soul, took me to the rollout and first flight of the DC 9-I got to see Hef's plane up close too. He always had a tough time getting his head wrapped around Mc Donnell Douglas-the whole Boeing thing would have been the end of him had he not already left this world far too soon.

Having flown both Boeing and Douglas aircraft I wound up liking them both.

Flying the 10's,30's, 40's, 50's and 80's as well as the 717 was still a treat. The 10's were little rockets. 30's and 40's was an airplane that once you strapped it on felt instantly comfortable. 50's always felt a little "sluggish" and never, ever reduce power to idle on the flare. Never felt comfortable in the 80 - just not enough tail for all that tube. 717's are awesome. Flys like a 30, zooms like rocket. Sips gas like a Honda.

I'd still like to meet the guy that designed the cockpit window lever.

The keys to Boeing are the controls, the feel, and most importantly the wing. Just ask the 747 drivers their ref speed. Now compare that to the MD-11..Douglas shrank the tail, could'nt make a fast-slow wing so the ref speed is much much higher...definately not a beginners jet jet. That's why UPS has a landing course on the MD-11 from a few scares. Very comfortable though. The DC-10 was a great bird... the -9's and the 717 I don't think compare to the 737's having flown both. The 727 beats all the DC-9's in my opinion.

j41driver said:
From the article: "The 717 model is the last commercial airplane produced in the Southern California factory. More than 15,000 airplanes have been produced in Long Beach since the plant opened in 1941."

There's been a few more than 150 airplanes produced there.

Oh, I know that...but when Boeing aquired that plant, it was only producing the 717. And that they kept it open and took only a few orders.

Land is worth WAY more.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back