• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Final 717 begins production

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What's sad is seeing a part of history(DC-9 types) going away because so many believe in that Brazilian rj that seats 100. What if Boeing received another 200 orders for the 717? Would we still have the issue of rj wages for a mainline jet?

ultrarunner said:
Oh, I know that...but when Boeing aquired that plant, it was only producing the 717. And that they kept it open and took only a few orders.

Land is worth WAY more.

Sorry to keep correcting people, but the above is incorrect as well. When Boeing took over McDonnell Douglas the Long Beach facility was still producing MD-80s, MD-90s, MD-11s, and had just started the MD-95 ( 717 ). Boeing did not market the 717 in it's early stages, they were still trying to sell the 737-600 instead. Boeing ( Seattle ), also had to be threatened by Lufthansa to make their desired options on the MD-11. More ( especially freighters ) could have been built, but Boeing ( Seattle ) didn't want competition for the 767 and 747 freighters.

Boeing didn't buy McDonnell Douglas for their civil aircraft production. They bought them for military and space products.

I never had the pleasure of flying the 727 so I can't remark on it's characteristics. I know most people who flew it, loved it. I feel the same way about the DC-9, especially the -10 series. What a great machine. I've also got 3000 hours in the MD-80 and loved those as well. I suffered through 2500 hours in the 737-300/400 and never really liked the airplane. The 777, OTOH, what a beautiful machine. The MD-90 Enhanced Flight Deck version, is kind of a cross between the MD-80 airframe and 777 cockpit. Best of both worlds.

Typhoonpilot

Last edited:
ultrarunner said:
I liked the -80. But I liked the feel of 3000psi at the controls better. ;-)
On the 717 we don't have to worry about manual reversion. We use it all the time! :)

That is indeed a sad story of a great line of aircraft. I think the narrow bodied douglas aircraft are universally regarded as good flying aircraft built extremely strong. How strong? Delta's DC-9-30 series had over 100,000 cycles on them when we retired them in 1989-90, then they went to work for Valuejet....Should of cut em up. I've taught flight crews on both genuine Boeing and Douglas aircraft. The Boeing aircraft are/were generally regarded as having better cockpit ergonomics and flight dynamics but lets not forget that Douglas pioneered an economical, reliable short range aircraft that introduced smaller cities to jet service (not including the short lived BAC 111).

I actually liked the MD80. I always got better landings out of those than the 717. BUT--I loved everything else about the 717.

Boeing had a bad case of NIH--Not Invented Here. McD planes were good because they were simple. Both Boeing and McD built their planes like tanks but Boeing engineered the crap out of them. McD made it work simply.

I still miss flying the DC-9's. They were good, honest airplanes. If there was one airliner I could choose to just take around the pattern and fly around it would be the 9-30.

Thanks Donald Douglas! TC

I'm still recovering from the MD80 to B717 "differences" course. Three sim periods and a checkride. Hard to believe they are the same type rating.

X

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back