Female Pilots and High Heels

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Standby 1 said:
I think you mean "what separates God from Flight Attendants?".....

on the flip side, what do flight attendants and stage coach drivers have in common?

they both sit behind a$$holes. :eek:

You mean what between 2 ragings alcoholics and a couples of sluts?

ERAU2GIA said:
I'd like to let you have it over this one, but the truth is that female pilots like little Miss F@#$ Me Pumps give the rest such a bad name that it's no wonder we are discriminated against. I dress like a professional, wear my hair short, yes I'm a dyke (I beat you to it) and I do my job. But just one back-tattooed fashion show want-to-be floozy can erase the memory of a hundred professional female pilots in the eyes of our peers and the public. Someone should knock her up and get her off the line. IP Freely, where are you, honey buns?
MR

OMG, that was hysterical! By the way, most of you guys with the safety thing are way off base, the safety issue is, if she's as hot as advertised, me not taking my eyes off her...heels...what a turn on :D

Question for the original post. For those flying airlines, corporate, or any flight that requires a uniform, are shoe types included in the type of uniform required?

In the dress code policy, other than color, is the type of shoe dictated? i.e. Loafers, pumps, slip-on, sole type, tie, laced... etc...

Last edited:
fly chick,

In my experience at three different airlines, I've never come across a "shoe" policy for women, other than a comment that appropriate footwear be worn.

It's similiar to the hair policy - it's all subjective and not a subject most male chief pilots want to deal with.

Fly_Chick said:
Question for the original post. For those flying airlines, corporate, or any flight that requires a uniform, are shoe types included in the type of uniform required?

In the dress code policy, other than color, is the type of shoe dictated? i.e. Loafers, pumps, slip-on, sole type, tie, laced... etc...
At my airline, there is guidance for the uniform, and for appropriate attire while in training, while deadheading (specific to class of travel), and for jumpseating.

Here are a few exceprts:

General Info

Uniform Policy

AIRLINE "X" PILOT DRESS CODES

PERSONAL APPEARANCE
Many things, including personal conduct, appearance, and grooming, define our professional character, industry reputation, and public image. The policies that follow are issued in the spirit of enhancing our crew force’s image. They are intended to assist all crewmembers with regard to uniform and grooming standards, business attire, appropriate deadheading guidelines and jumpseat dress code. The underlying principle is that when working for Airline "X", dress conservatively. Each category has a list of unauthorized items so that a judgement can be made as to what might be apropos and what might not be.

GROOMING
Crewmembers must present a meticulously neat and groomed public appearance.
  • Hair should be neatly trimmed with no exaggerated styles, long sideburns, etc.
  • Female pilots should wear shoulder length or longer hair up or back.
  • Female pilots may wear one pair of earrings (no bangles, clefts or multiple pairs).
UNIFORM GUIDELINES
Uniforms should be clean, pressed and in good repair.

Traditional Uniform
The traditional Airline "X" uniform consists of:
  • Black shoes or boots with plain toe (maximum 1 inch heel).
  • Female crewmembers are authorized a medium size dark blue or black handbag.
The traditional uniform is appropriate for all on-duty occasions and all seasons.

Optional Items
  • Cold weather accessories – Black dress gloves, Navy blue or black scarf. Navy or black winter cap (watch cap style) is authorized for winter pre/post flight.
Irrespective of which uniform a crewmember wears, Captains are expected to set a high standard of professional appearance for the entire crew. Captains are also expected to observe and counsel members of their crew who do not meet our standards of appearance.

Unacceptable Uniform Items
Open toed, open heeled, athletic, wing tip or high heel (>1”) shoes.
Buttondown collar shirts.

DEADHEADING / INTERLINE GUIDELINES
Deadheading crews are under constant scrutiny from the traveling public, airport employees and other airline crews. Accordingly, each and every deadheading Airline "X" pilot must always present a polished, well-groomed personal appearance. If traveling in uniform, the entire uniform must be worn, including the approved uniform tie done up to the collar.

If not traveling in uniform, the following dress code applies:
First Class
Females: Dress, suit, slacks / skirt with coordinating blouse.
International:Business casual attire

Coach Class
Females: Casual slacks / blouse / sweater and casual shoes for females.

Unacceptable Clothing for Deadhead or lnterline Travel:
Sheer / strapless / thin strap tops
Sandals /thongs

Mini-skirts

BUSINESS CASUAL / FLIGHT TRAINING ATTIRE
The following is the Airline "X" Business Casual Dress Code from the PEOPLE Manual. It applies to anyone doing business on Airline "X" property, worldwide. As pilots, this applies mostly to training events and official meetings, but also includes checking your mail or consulting with Company employees.

WOMEN

Shoes
-Flat leather shoes
-Low heeled pumps

Accessories
-Scarves and belts allowed
-Stockings must always be worn with skirts
or dresses

Unacceptable Business Attire
The following list is not all-inclusive, but it addresses the most common business casual dress code infractions.

Denim pants, skirts, or dress
Spandex pants, skirts or dresses
Open Toe Shoes
Leggings
Culottes
Sun Dresses or Spaghetti Straps
Sports Shoes (i.e. canvas and sneakers)
See through blouses (unless with camisole)
Low cut blouses
Sweat pants or sweat shirts
Jogging suits
T-shirts

JUMPSEAT DRESS CODE
The following is an excerpt from the PEOPLE Manual and applies to all Airline "X" employees who jumpseat on Airline "X" aircraft.
Appropriate footwear and attire are required to ride any jumpseat due to safety of flight concerns. This dress code also includes any other clothing that would detract from the business image of Airline "X". Employees must comply with any request from a reservationist, ramp personnel, or flight captain to change clothing or to deplane due to inappropriate and / or unsafe attire. Each one has the authority to deny jumpseat passage to anyone considered inappropriately dressed.

Failure to be appropriately dressed upon check-in at ramp locations or major hub results in the loss of jumpseat privileges for a period of six months and denial of further jumpseat travel, including continuance of current trip. All existing jumpseat reservations will be canceled due to failure to comply with dress code.

The following are examples of inappropriate attire:
  • any clothing that would prevent an individual’s safe and timely exit in an emergency situation.
  • T-shirts, including those with Airline "X" Logo
  • fatigue
  • leggings (without or in place of slacks/regular skirt)
  • micro / mini skirts
  • bare midriff
  • tight, sheer/see-through clothing
  • shorts, cutoffs, tank tops
  • beach clothing
  • hair curlers
  • jogging/exercise suits, workout clothing
  • sandals, mules, beach footwear
  • hiking or military style boots
  • high-heeled shoes, sandals, mules, or spiked-heeled shoes
I believe it's in order to highlight an important line from the policy that would apply in a situation such as the one that began this thread:

"Captains are also expected to observe and counsel members of their crew who do not meet our standards of appearance."

Being a Captain involves so much more than just knowing how to fly an airplane.

:)

Our FOM states that women can wear black leather pumps or flats with enclosed heel and toe. I guess it leaves it up to one's own interpretation. I've seen ladies wearing all kinds of shoes, flats, a small heal, boots, etc. I think I've even seen our friend in question, once, too. I've even seen boots with strange heels, but those are very rare. Most are normal heels.

Either way, it's just not all that safe in the cockpit. I manage to trip over stuff in the cockpit and I'm a guy with standard dress shoes. Ces't La Vie.

Last edited:
TonyC said:
At my airline, there is guidance for the uniform, and for appropriate attire while in training, while deadheading (specific to class of travel), and for jumpseating.

Here are a few exceprts:
[/list]I believe it's in order to highlight an important line from the policy that would apply in a situation such as the one that began this thread:

"Captains are also expected to observe and counsel members of their crew who do not meet our standards of appearance."

Being a Captain involves so much more than just knowing how to fly an airplane.

My god You guy's are such a bunch of nerds!!!

Hahahah.......beautiful!

Latest resources

Back