Female Pilots and High Heels

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Kalifornia

I've been trolling the boards for awhile and here's my first post - bound to make some idiot offended. Alright, what's the deal? I recently flew with a good looking girl for her age (mid 30s) who wore high class high heels through the terminal and sometimes on the airplane (EMB-145). These weren't simple pumps; I'm talking narrow heel (stilleto I think is the term and that's probably spelled wrong) looks like torture to walk in 3 inch plus shoes.

Sometimes she conspicously slipped on flip flips before she got in the cockpit. She also had some high fashion blue tinted sunglasses; something that Bono would wear all the time if he was a chick. She walked a snails pace through the terminal which I can't stand when trying to catch a ride to the hotel. Also stated at the beginning of the trip, that she was pissed off when people made comments like why is a flight attendant flying the airplane or do you fly with those shoes. Then in the middle of the trip, another Captain waiting to take our airplane in the jetway asked her if she flew in those. In an offended tone, she said yes and women drive all the time in high heels. What a Bich.

My point in all this is that flying around as a high tech massively expensive hugely liable ransportation vehicle operator should not be coincide with a someone's fashion show aspirations. Those who've flown the Jungle Jet know the rudder pedals are not a solid rectangle of metal, but a criss cross pattern with gaps big enough for a small diameter heel to fall through. So now I'm talking safety concerns. Someone putting fashion ahead of comfort and basic safey is in mind someone who deserves offensive comments. By the way, her flying skills were somewhat lacking for someone who's been on property for a year and her systems knowledge was terrible. She didn't know that when you shut down and engine the thrust lever has to be in idle. That's the first frickin step in the Engine Fire memory items. And before you label me sexist, I have flown with some good female pilots.

Ben Franklin said:
guess you didn't get lucky with her, then?

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

Maybe I could have been. She mentioned things weren't going to well with her boyfriend. However, I can't stand bitschie attitudes so no thank you.

Sounds like a complete Biatch to me. I am on your side and her heels aren't safe. I have no problem with women pilots trying look good but come on. You have to be practical and safe first. If she is not flying in a safe manner and won't take the advice of her fellow pilots the CP needs to step in. What would she do in an emergency evacuation? Can she climb out the crew hatch in those? I'm pretty sure she poke a hole in the wing if she went out an overwing exit.

Fortunately, all the female pilots at my company are practical and wear the correct footware and also know how to fly the plane.

If my FO pulled that crap in the airport I would leave them and let them get the next van to the hotel.

just my .02 worth

"Hello, Pro Standards, my name is_______."

Hey,
Sounds like a trip through the policy manual, uniform requirements/foot wear(Type, color, heel). If that doesn't work maybe an informal visit with the C.P. for an informal discussion on uniform attire.
PBR

If you work for XJT, then I think I know who you're talking about and you're not the only one who's had issues with her. Call professional standards.

Thank god the 145 doesn't have slides. It sounds like she'd get into a screaming match about taking them off to go down the slides.

Ground Evac

jetexas said:
Stilleto's in the cockpit?
I'd like to see her do a ground evac.

Or better yet - pull my bleeding ass from the cockpit......doesn't make me feel more comfortable.

Latest resources

Back