• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx Pilots, where to live in Memphis?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anyone got any good things to say about living in Memphis? Aside from the fact that it makes the job easier? As I've said before on this board, I'm thinking about making the move (I won't mention where I live now, everyone would think I was nuts) but I've yet to hear too many good thing. How about the G'town or C'ville daily life?

collierville is great...my wife and i enjoy it...and IT DOES MAKE THE JOB A LOT EASIER! as you said...public schools are good..pvt schools are among the best...safe...and oh yeah..IT MAKES THE JOB EASIER!...but it depends on your commuting situation as well..senior v. junior.

Duece: I've mentioned on this board several times the fact that I moved my family to Collierville when (before actually) I got hired and they absolutely love it here. I'm a gritbob from Mobile, AL and I love that town, but I just didn't want to commute if I didn't have to. We had lived in Mobile for a total of 9 years on two different tours, and the wif liked Mobile as well. The schools there are a concern (where aren't they?) but otherwise it is a great place.

So we moved up here, wif got a great part time gig, kids walk to a very good school, and they all love the neighborhood and people around us. I contemplated a move to Texas myself and was shouted down by my family.

I'm not a big fan of Memphis, or any other city of that size. I am a country person. I would love, in fact, to live further out from Memphis, but it is nice to be able to stand reserve comfortably from home and have only a 30 min drive into work. So Collierville is where we ended up.

The neighborhoods have WIDE streets, there are lots of parks, very good athletic programs (both rec and comp) for the kids, and for the most part there is a lot of parental involvement in the schools. The HS is pretty crowded, but otherwise I have heard mostly good things about it. The taxes are reasonable, the services well run, and I don't have any complaints really about the town.

In short, if you make your mind up to be unhappy anywhere other than __________, you will be unhappy anywhere else. We had no compelling reason to live somewhere else, (like family or jobs) so we came here. We are very happy here. If you have an open mind I would suspect that you will be able to find a place around Memphis where you will be happy as well.

FJ

Ditto

Works for me. We live in a nice subdivision in C'ville. We have great neighbors, enjoy our Church. Send our kids to the parochial school at the church. Great sports programs for the kids there. Great Health Club.

If C'ville was in the mountains or near a large body of water to race sailboats on then I'd be thrilled. But alas it is not. Hence, someday I will leave, but for now it serves my purpose which is to spend as much time with my kids and wife as possible. I learned about 6 years ago, you just can't get that time back.......much as you may wish.

That being said, we don't have the Beach, we have Church. It is a little different lifestyle than what I was used to. But you learn to adapt and do different things. I don't cruise the coast with the family anymore, we go camping. I went duck hunting the other day for the first time and loved it!

When I want to go race boats, I jumpseat back home and race with my brother. Deuce, I moved from there two years ago, and I would do it again in a heartbeat, with the exception that I would have kept my house in Niceville and rented it. I try not to think about the market appreciation that I've lost.

Really nice houses for sale in my neighborhood. Drop on by somtime.

Yet another vote for Crackerville

We love it, too.

I can't tell you how many guys that I've flown with that hate the fact that they've missed their kids growing up. That's why we're here.

BTW we miss all of Goose's gang rapes, too.

Lippy

We moved to my wife's hometown when I started a couple of years ago. I dragged her around for 10+ years when I was in the military. She said, "if you are going to be on the road, I want to be near my family." Works good for us and she has never been happier.

One time I said to her, "what do you think about moving up to Memphis so I wouldn't have to commute?" She cocked her head, looked at me, and said,"Did you say something?"

Never brought up the subject again.

Mind if I AX you a question?

Goose gang rapes? U funny man. Like mentioned above, your home town is what you make of it. We lived in Memphis for almost 5 years and like I said before, we didn't hate it like you might hear from others. We simply wanted to live elsewhere. Right now I have a beautiful house on a big lake out in the Texas country that I really can't afford. My kids run around like mad and they are having a blast here. Yes, I will be gone more and yes, I won't have my cushy afternoon schedule like I had in MEM, but my family and I are much happier here (so far).

There are many reasons to move to or away, but to each his own.

Good luck on your decisions.

Goose17

Latest resources

Back