• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx Pilots, where to live in Memphis?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
to answer the original question...collierville...germantown...northern mississippi..i was a commuter and i live in mem now...mem is not the greatest place to live but the job is much easier now and a lot less stressful.

Babylon said:
Memphis is a s**! hole! I mean it completely sucks. Every time I go there I find a new reason to hate the area. Let me list a few:

1) Weather sucks - out of 12 months you've got 5 months where it is grueling hot and you want to shoot yourself and another 4 months where it's very cold
2) Not an ounce of natural beauty in the area. I mean I challenge one person to name something beautiful about the area
3) Traffic stinks - it's worse than DC or southern California - truly
4) Worst gov't management imaginable. On all aspects - from running the city to fixing the roads - it's truly ridiculous
5) Rampant racisim - white on black and black on white - not a place I want to raise my kids
6) Downright depressing - compared to say the coasts, you'll be depressed living in this area. The shopping stinks, grocery stinks (it's like you stepped back into time when you walk into your local Kroger store), most of the neighborhoods stink

So there you have a few. Yes Collierville and Germantown are ok but hey let's face it you live in Memphis. Whatever happens in Memphis has a huge impact on the entire metropolitan area. Oh yea, real estate is cheap. I wonder why??

Do the right thing - live somewhere nice and commute in. Your family will love you for it. Oh one final thing I forgot - the crew force - night and day difference from working out of Memphis and working out of one of the other domiciles.

Right on the money.

Goose17 said:
A majority of the guys live in either Germantown or Collierville. Probably the best areas around here. We do have guys living all over the greater area though.

Don't ask me though - I'm moving to Fort Worth in a couple weeks.

Goose17

Is there a line you can hold in F/W or are you commuting? I hope to get hired by FedEx - rather not commute but would love to move back to DFW area.

DFW/AFW go waaaay senior. Expect to commute w/out DHs from that area. You might get a lucky trip in open time, but most of the Texas crowd is pretty senior. As a matter of fact, it seems to me just about anyone who can hold a line in/around his/her staging base is pretty darn senior.

DFW Commuting

T2Pilot said:
Is there a line you can hold in F/W or are you commuting? I hope to get hired by FedEx - rather not commute but would love to move back to DFW area.

One thing I had no clue on before I came to the company was the ability to jumpseat on Fedex aircraft to commute. You can reserve a seat and establish a staging address (higher priority) with some contract protections to j/s to work. Finding out how many FDX j/s are available (and how many fellow FDXers are competing for the seats) for commuting is going to be a factor in my future decisions on where to live. I think DFW has a couple of WBs going to MEM everyday plus a Boeing from AFW. Not sure how competitive it is for the seats. Good luck.

No AFW-MEM pairings

I don't believe there are any MEM-AFW pairings. Not direct, anyway.

I have heard that there are upwards of 250 FedEx commuters in the DFW Metroplex. The jumpseats can be tight on certain days.

What are the typical schedules like? Are we talking 2 weeks on/off (only commuting once/month) or something more like the pax airlines? And does this depend on the equipment?

-- No sponsor thus clueless.

Anyone got a realtor they'd like to recommend in the Memphis area? We're looking at Olive Branch/Southaven, G-Town and Collierville. Thanks.

Dfw

T2Pilot said:

I have only lived in the DFW area for about a week and the only trip I have had (currently on) was a double-dead head to/from MIA that has so far worked out nicely.

I will be pretty junior when I upgrade to the Airbus later this month. I don't expect to hold the juicy TX lines for quite a long time. That said though, DFW is centrally located and it is pretty easy to get anywhere from there.

Yes, we do have a lot of jumpseats also, but there are a lot of pilots there. DFW connects with MEM and I believe AFW goes mostly west.

In the 1 week I have been in Texas, I have been THOUROUGHLY AMAZED at how friendly and happy everyone is. This is a big change from my what I experienced in the greater MEM area.

Goose17

Pride in home is a wonderful thing. In Texas, you can have a trailer with 2 junk cars in the front lawn resting on dead, brown grass...but there will be a Lone Star flag in the window or on a pole somewhere in the yard. Being a Texan, native or non-native, is a source of pride. Only been there TDY and visiting, but Texas really is a special place...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back