• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx Pilots, where to live in Memphis?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The execs mostly live in Memphis itself, from what I've seen.

Anybody do a comparison on the tax differences on living in MS as opposed to TN? Wondering if the change in the law that allows sales tax deductions makes much difference also.

The Poplar corridor, pretty much from mid-town on out has some very nice, and exclusive areas, particularly the North side of Poplar. Many are out of the price range for pilots, but there are more reasonable ones in those areas.

hernando is not bad ..but there is a sign down there that says "welcome to nowhere" and i swear i saw bigfoot cross a road there once...

When living in Memphis (Germantown) I used to cringe when I had to go to Walmart for something I could only get there. It was truely a painful experience.

Last week, now in my small Texan town (NW of Fort Worth), I reluctantly went into Walmart for something and was totally shocked! I did not realize that not ALL the stores sucked so bad. People were helpful, friendly, and the place was clean. Employees were smiling and would go out of their way to come up and try to assist you. The first person that came up to me, I yelled "Oh, God, NO!" and tried to hand him my wallet. He just gave me a big Texan smile and tried to calm me down.

Now I can't say I hated living in Memphis, but I guess I was tainted living there so long and I lost touch with reality on how life can be pleasant and fun. That being said, the easiest flying I have done while junior has DEFINITELY been while living in Memphis.

Tradeoffs no matter how you slice it. If you move to the Memphis area, you will feel better rested and your family will see you more. If you live elsewhere, you might get a better education for the kids and you stand a better chance of not getting gang raped!

Goose17 (recovering from my first commuter trip, but still smiling)

Goose17 said:
When living in Memphis (Germantown) I used to cringe when I had to go to Walmart for something I could only get there. It was truely a painful experience.

Last week, now in my small Texan town (NW of Fort Worth), I reluctantly went into Walmart for something and was totally shocked! I did not realize that not ALL the stores sucked so bad. People were helpful, friendly, and the place was clean. Employees were smiling and would go out of their way to come up and try to assist you. The first person that came up to me, I yelled "Oh, God, NO!" and tried to hand him my wallet. He just gave me a big Texan smile and tried to calm me down.

Now I can't say I hated living in Memphis, but I guess I was tainted living there so long and I lost touch with reality on how life can be pleasant and fun. That being said, the easiest flying I have done while junior has DEFINITELY been while living in Memphis.

Tradeoffs no matter how you slice it. If you move to the Memphis area, you will feel better rested and your family will see you more. If you live elsewhere, you might get a better education for the kids and you stand a better chance of not getting gang raped!

Goose17 (recovering from my first commuter trip, but still smiling)

DEMOGRAPHICS

If you really want to see something, try the Horn Lake walmart about 9pm on a Sunday night. There's people in there that have never sat on chairs....

Latest resources

Back