• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx Pilots, where to live in Memphis?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Many friends moved there when they were new hires and are now moving away years later. If you plan on settling there, go for it. If you plan on eventually moving, I'd bypass and go someplace you like. Commuting, from most cities, is easy at FDX and you won't be sitting reserve long with the amount of hiring predicted. Welcome aboard.

For all of you C'vill residents out there, is there any issue with living south of Poplar Ave? I'm considering making the move so I can be home with the fam more than 2 wks a month (like every night instead) and my realtor said there was a slight "stigma" for homes south of Poplar. She said that attitude was going away though and many of the homes I saw there down there were great, as well as the new subdivisions popping up that way. Any thoughts?

P.S. Anyone hear rumors about a Greenville, NC domicile in 2008? If so, maybe I'll hold off on moving...

Deuce130 said:
P.S. Anyone hear rumors about a Greenville, NC domicile in 2008? If so, maybe I'll hold off on moving...

Pretty sure you meant Greensboro, NC.

Sort facility construction is under way. I've not heard any recent rumors about an actual pilot domicile.

I like the idea of G'boro, too. While I doubt it'll be a domicile, but do y'all think it'll be like Indy? Think a lot of lines will start and end outta there? Airbus only? All rumors, no matter how wild and unsubstantiated, are welcome! I live in VA and that would be an easy drive.

I am a captain for Pinnacle and I drive in from Jonesboro, AR. About an hour and ten minutes to the parking lot, which is next to the FedEx parking lot. Valley View school district has been the number one school in the state for test scores for the last two years. No gangs or problems to worry about. You can get more house for your money here than in the Memphis area and the taxes and utilities are not bad. Jonesboro is a growing college town and has a new mall to keep the wife happy. Great duck and deer hunting as well if you are into that. Just my two cents!

I agree that Jonesboro, AR has some nice areas. Plus its not too far from all the lakes in Northern AR like Bull Shoals, Norfork etc.

No stigma

Duece: I wouldn't say there is any stigma, just the fact that those neighborhoods are pretty new and if you live in the northern part of the city you might never venture down that way. So you just don't tend to think of that area when somebody says they live in Collierville and you ask them where and they mention one of those neighborhoods. No stigma, just not as much familiarity with the new subdivisions on my part.

The only thing I would try to do is stay as far away from Poplar as you can, either north or south, because of the dang trains that run along there. I live about as far to the north as you can and still be in Collierville and we can hear those trains in our house. They run all hours of the day and night, just like the jets going into MEM. I can't imagaine how loud they must be if you lived in one of those very nice, expensive neighborhoods that are right alongside or across the street from those tracks. That would drive me to drink.

Anyway, I don't think there is any stigma to living south of Poplar.

As for GSO, there are going to be 40 gates I think there when they are finished, it might be as many as 70. I have seen the plans for the ramp and it looks pretty much like Indy. I doubt it will be big enough for a domicile in the next 10 years, but who knows. If NW goes tango uniform we might be forced to domicile pilots at all the hubs since there won't be enough flights left in MEM to deadhead us all over the place.

FJ

I can't believe this conversation is going on

Memphis is a s**! hole! I mean it completely sucks. Every time I go there I find a new reason to hate the area. Let me list a few:

1) Weather sucks - out of 12 months you've got 5 months where it is grueling hot and you want to shoot yourself and another 4 months where it's very cold
2) Not an ounce of natural beauty in the area. I mean I challenge one person to name something beautiful about the area
3) Traffic stinks - it's worse than DC or southern California - truly
4) Worst gov't management imaginable. On all aspects - from running the city to fixing the roads - it's truly ridiculous
5) Rampant racisim - white on black and black on white - not a place I want to raise my kids
6) Downright depressing - compared to say the coasts, you'll be depressed living in this area. The shopping stinks, grocery stinks (it's like you stepped back into time when you walk into your local Kroger store), most of the neighborhoods stink

So there you have a few. Yes Collierville and Germantown are ok but hey let's face it you live in Memphis. Whatever happens in Memphis has a huge impact on the entire metropolitan area. Oh yea, real estate is cheap. I wonder why??

Do the right thing - live somewhere nice and commute in. Your family will love you for it. Oh one final thing I forgot - the crew force - night and day difference from working out of Memphis and working out of one of the other domiciles.

Deuce130 said:
For all of you C'vill residents out there, is there any issue with living south of Poplar Ave?...

I live by the new mall, south of non-connah bon and love it. Houses here are new and big. My neighbors are nice and I have never felt uncomfortable walking around.

I love collierville, and highly recommend it Germantown is also great.

Don't do Cordova....getting annexed. Some love Bartlett, but for me its too far to drive.

If you don't have kids, or plan on doing private school, I would also consider fayette county.

Good Luck.

I am a "professional" RB guy living in memphis and on average fly 7 days a month. Of those 7 days, at least half are out and backs...which I get a lot on reserve. I know there are drawbacks to Memphis, but for 7 days a month its worth the price.

Latest resources

Back