FedEX or UPS?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EXMARINE

Like at least three other people I know, I have upcoming class dates with UPS and FedEx. The dates are only two week apart.

If anyone has first knowledge of both companies please let me know your opinion.

Thank you in advance.

Before you attack:
I know how lucky I am.
I've paid my dues and them some.
I know I got a couple of luky breaks.
I would be lucky to end up either place.

Maybe go on bases.(where do you want to live?) I don't think you could go wrong on either. It seems FedEx is growing a little faster and they are larger. I have heard that folks hired now at FedEx can expect upgrade in 4 years. Not bad!
Congrats and Good luck.

I'm still waiting for an interview, but from what I know right now I'd pick FedEx on pay scale and hiring plans alone. Better pay, quicker upgrade.
I'd like to be in your position EX. Semper Fi!

I think the recent strike vote authorized by the UPS pilots might go a long way in helping me make my mind up.

You're the most fortunate transitionee in the game! Can I have whatever one you don't want?

Yank McCobb said:
I think the recent strike vote authorized by the UPS pilots might go a long way in helping me make my mind up.

ALL that means is that the FedEx pilots are a few months to a year or so away from THEIR strike vote authorization.

EXMARINE said:
Like at least three other people I know, I have upcoming class dates with UPS and FedEx. The dates are only two week apart.

If anyone has first knowledge of both companies please let me know your opinion.

Thank you in advance.

Before you attack:
I know how lucky I am.
I've paid my dues and them some.
I know I got a couple of luky breaks.
I would be lucky to end up either place.

Not an attack, really. God Bless you for your service.

You mean to tell me you have a sponsor at each carrier and told each one that FedEx/UPS is the only place for you? Did you promise that FedEx/UPS is your #1 choice and you don't want to work anywhere else?

My understanding is that what it takes to get an interview and get hired. At least for a poor schmuck like me. It is also my understanding that said sponsor is dead in the water if you turn FedEx/UPS down after being interviewed. Thereby hosing anyone else the he/she wants to sponsor.

My questions are--

Do I have the "rules" wrong? Is there a Marine/Navy pipeline that has different rules?

My opinion--

Go FedEx (unless you live in a UPS domicile). What little I know about Express freight tells me the money they are spending on new distribution centers will insure their dominance/growth for some time. But there is room for UPS. Your choice is between two winners.

Last edited:
FlyBoeingJets said:
My opinion--

Go FedEx (unless you live in a UPS domicile). What little I know about Express freight tells me the money they are spending on new distribution centers will insure their dominance/growth for some time. But there is room for UPS. Your choice is between two winners.

Both are GREAT choices, but it's not like that UPS isn't spending money on international growth. They are actually ahead of FedEx in the all important supply chain management area. Other factors are that FedEx is in CONTENTIOUS contract talks too with it's pilots, they are just behind a year or so the UPS talks. So no gurarentee of labor peace their either. Plus, FedEx has a good amount of debt to service, which is fine as long as the economy is strong, but if something happens, watch out. UPS' balance sheet is much stronger.

Bottom line is you can't go wrong with either choice.

Ok let me comment since I actually work at one and I'll pretend to know what I'm talking about. Go with where you would rather live. Both are strong companies that provide a service that is close to impossible to duplicate due to the immense infrastructure required. My fealing is that our talks will be a little less contencious than our frieght brothas at Brown especially since they are taking a strong stance. FedEx knows they are going to have to give on this one. One more thing, you can hold a widebody right out of new hire training with the hiring/growth going on. That means $120 ish in your second year. Life is good. I am gone an average of 7 days a month since I hold a double DH line to my hometown. Where you commute from might mean something as well. Where do you live?
Semper Fi

FedEx Larger Than UPS?

lakelivin said:
Maybe go on bases.(where do you want to live?) ...FedEx is growing a little faster and they are larger....
FedEx is larger than UPS? In terms of number of aircraft and overnight letter deliveries, yes.

But UPS has greater annual revenue, greater net income and 100,000+ more employees.

RB

Latest resources

Back