FedEX or UPS?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
psysicx said:
If you meet all the mins would it help to fly for a feeder?

No, flying for a feeder in and of itself will not make a difference either way. In fact if that is where you are currently flying you probably don't have the experience/background either are looking for.

On Your Six said:
You'll get to fly A380s at both. I'd say pick the one that does not include a stint as FE if you can figure that out early... Avoid the panel at all costs...

To everybody,

I knew someone at brandX who chose United over UPS 5 years ago because he didn't want to sit sideways. Another friend of mine got hired there over 7 years ago and told me not to go Brown because I would have to sit sideways. They are both no longer drawing a paycheck from UAL.

Here's my point: if you don't want to be an FE, fine, step aside and let someone else through the door to take your place. I'm fairly sure there are probably 25K+ who would gladly sit sideways for a while at UPS or FedEx.

I sat sideways for 2 years and have been in the front seat for 3. At this stage in the game, it's about schedule and money. I grossed over $70K and worked a total of 90 days my second year as an FE. And the majority of those trips were international: i.e., one long leg followed by a couple of days off somewhere. So the amount of days actually physically moving swithches was probably closer to 40 or 45 days. Not bad.

There is life after the panel.:)

Ex-Marine, I thought there were no ex-Marines. Anyways, nice problem you have. I have several friends at Fed-Ex who got me an interview there. They didn't seem to worried about their reputations when I turned down the Fed-ex interview to come to UPS. I'll throw a little brown into the mix. I'm new at UPS so you'll have to see through all the kool-aid I've been drinking. I like it here so far. Training is first class and it is on the FE panel. Some people may disdain it, but it is an easy way to get your feet wet in the company for a year maybe two. You are not looked down upon in the least as an FE. Almost everyone here was an FE at one time or another. The upcoming classes are having a greater number of FO's. Since new hires are going into the right seat, the company is paying senior FE's FO pay until they have a chance to upgrade. It is a little more complicated than I just said, but that is the gist of it. The company is very stable, but it is a trucking company that has airplanes. Being a former Marine you might like that. I feel very comfortabe here and everyone seems generally happy with life. Very different vibe than you get with most pax airlines. I won't say much about contract negotiations. The union seems very sharp compared to ALPA. We'll see. Rumor has 747-400's on the way. International flying is looking to increase. I'm sure you know the domiciles. Highly recommend you live at one. Scheduling seems more flexible with dropping and adding trips at Fed-ex than here. Benifits here are great. Retirement seems great, but I don't know if it will hold up for the next 25 years at either place. First year pay sucks, it's criminal. The new contract is supposed to address that. Your year starts the day you start, not when you finish training. The company does give you a hotel room until you finish IOE and perdiem as well. All uniforms, luggage, and a flight bag are given to you. I don't know what else to say. Recommend you go with whoever gives you a warm fuzzy. You can't go wrong with either place. PM me if you have more questions.

Well folks I have read everyones opinion so far about which way to go. If it's okay with all of you I will give you my two cents worth. I know many folks who fly the purple tail around and they are extremely happy. FedEx has a larger pilot group, upgrades to the left seat come quicker, seem to fly more during the daytime, everywhere we go they are always there with twice as many airplanes, their buildings always appear nicer than ours, much nicer looking uniforms, NO HATS, LEATHER JACKETS, pay is roughly the same and so on. Now as for Big Brown. Our company makes a tremendous amount more every year. Basically pay cash for everything we buy, expand at a slower pace to insure a profit, much larger company overall and yada yada yada. My whole point here is that both UPS and FEDEX have their strong points and weak points. Decide which company offers a domicle closet to your home and go with it. Your seniority at either company will dictate your quality of life. Pay will be almost the same. Hell we can't spend all we make now(LOL). I have been with UPS for 15+ and wouldn't change it for anything. I only wish we had 747-400's but who knows. Best wishes and enjoy the journey.

CW
A300 Capt

I know the answer...

Whoever calls you first. That is who you devote your remaining years to 60 62.5 or 65 whatever ALPA (United or US AIR) decides it will be. It is an easy decision..........

heavyjetpilot said:
Pay will be almost the same. Hell we can't spend all we make now(LOL). I have been with UPS for 15+ and wouldn't change it for anything. I only wish we had 747-400's but who knows. Best wishes and enjoy the journey.

CW
A300 Capt

I'm sure most other UPS pilots would NOT say that they can't spend all they make now. That must be a popular view with the IPA (NOT). Since your pay is all the same, you must be the type that wants to fly a 400 so he can brag to his buddies at the local GA airport that you are a big, bad 747-400 captain. Heck, if I were there I'd be all over the 727 myself, same pay, less work!

Rhoid said:
I'm sure most other UPS pilots would NOT say that they can't spend all they make now. That must be a popular view with the IPA (NOT). Since your pay is all the same, you must be the type that wants to fly a 400 so he can brag to his buddies at the local GA airport that you are a big, bad 747-400 captain. Heck, if I were there I'd be all over the 727 myself, same pay, less work!

Man, just take the job at UPS, or FEDEX.... If you're asking on a weboard. I don't know what to tell your sorry@ss... Take the job and have comfort in knowing that there are literally THOUSANDS of pilots who have MORE time than you that can't even get an interview.

Man, just take the job at UPS, or FEDEX.... If you're asking on a weboard. I don't know what to tell your sorry@ss... Take the job and have comfort in knowing that there are literally THOUSANDS of pilots who have MORE time than you that can't even get an interview.

He's just trying to get all the info he can before making an important decision. You are an @ss. I wasn't sure if anyone could one up rhoid in this category, but you pulled it off. I guess the quality of the hours and the person are more important in this particular case eh?

EXMARINE - What a great position to be in. I've been at FedEx since Nov and life is grand. We're growing like a weed so seniority is building quickly. I concur with the location theme in some of the other posts: QOL goes way up when you can live near your base. Both companies are the envy of the industry right now so you can't go wrong. Good luck!

Last edited:
First year pay and corporate culture. FEX. JMO.TC

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back