• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEX or UPS?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You'll get to fly A380s at both. I'd say pick the one that does not include a stint as FE if you can figure that out early... Avoid the panel at all costs...

Which one would be better if your commuting out of Sacramento?Also which one has a chance to fly in the day and not at night?

FedEx is larger than UPS? In terms of number of aircraft and overnight letter deliveries, yes.

But UPS has greater annual revenue, greater net income and 100,000+ more employees.

Do you want to fly a plane or drive a truck. I think he was comparing the air side of the house since this is Flightinfo. 2500 pilots at UPS, 4500 pilots at FDX. Balance sheets don't tell all. If you look at balance sheets of the two pax drivers that are making money, SWA & JBLU and just compared that to FDX or UPS you probably wouldn't accept an offer for an interview. I looked up the balance sheets of SWA, JBLU & FDX just to make a point. In 2004 SWA & JBLU combined to net 360 million. In the quarter ending in Nov 04 FDX net 354 million (and I think UPS was double ours). Would you not take a job at those two fine companies? Balance sheets shouldn't drive your decision as long as they are continuously in the black.

Which one would be better if your commuting out of Sacramento?Also which one has a chance to fly in the day and not at night?
Not an expert on UPS so I won't comment. I think they have a hub in Ontario though. FDX west coast hub is in OAK and we have a MD11 pilot base in LAX. I stay on east side of the Mississippi so I don't know how the jumpseat #s look from that area to MEM. As far as the day gig. We turn a lot of our airplanes, if not the majority, to fly the USPS mail during the day. So when the airplane lands at 6am it is filled full of mail and sent with a different crew back to the hub for a day sort. If this postal contract ever goes away, than our day flying would drop drastically. However that scenario is unlikely soon, since they are trying to get us to carry more already.
Oh yeah in response to the FE stuff. Don't worry about that either. It is not a bad place to be especially for non 121 background guys. If you are flying in the reserves it is actually quite nice.

I am fairly sure I know the answer to this question but I will ask it anyway. Is it worth going to either the UPS or FedEx booths (at the AirInc job fair) if you do not know anyone well enough at either company to sponser you?

I like just about everyone on this board would love a job at either but only one person from the company I am at has gone to FedEx and that was 3 years ago. No one has gone to UPS. I would love to find someones shirt tails to grab on to and ride.

This is not a Bad problem to have.....you have an "in" at both UPS and FEDEX. It really doesn't matter where you go. Just make sure you're happy when you get there. Don't be one of those pilots who gets there, and then wishes he went to the other.

Best of Luck to you. ;)

Purpledog said:
Do you want to fly a plane or drive a truck. I think he was comparing the air side of the house since this is Flightinfo. 2500 pilots at UPS, 4500 pilots at FDX. Balance sheets don't tell all. If you look at balance sheets of the two pax drivers that are making money, SWA & JBLU and just compared that to FDX or UPS you probably wouldn't accept an offer for an interview. I looked up the balance sheets of SWA, JBLU & FDX just to make a point. In 2004 SWA & JBLU combined to net 360 million. In the quarter ending in Nov 04 FDX net 354 million (and I think UPS was double ours). Would you not take a job at those two fine companies? Balance sheets shouldn't drive your decision as long as they are continuously in the black.

That is exactally what I meant.
Thanks p-dog

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back