• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FEDEX MOAB Place your bets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Echopappa, go ahead and justify flying all the draft/vlt for the company all you want. (That's putting it nicely)

I'm sorry you're really hurting for cash on the Airbus...

And please don't take this as a "personal insult"......

Last edited:
sandman2122 said:
Echopappa, go ahead and justify flying all the draft/vlt for the company all you want. (That's putting it nicely)

I'm sorry you're really hurting for cash on the Airbus...

And please don't take this as a "personal insult"......

I fly RB and I had one landing in Jan and so far one landing in Feb. At this pace, I will be lucky if I can keep my landing currency. I think the last call I had for draft was in Dec, and I declined for personal reasons. I can't even remember a draft call before that.

My post is not personally motivated to justify some financial gain. In fact, if I wanted to gain more from draft/volunteer time it would be more logical for me to suggest that everyone stop flying it.

I have my own decisions for why I haven't flown draft or sold back my vacation, but those have nothing to do with contract negotiations. And I do not hold a grudge against anyone that currently accepts draft/vlt. It is part of our negotiated contract and is allowed. It is not against any guidance from our Union. And most importantly, I honestly feel that if the company was more dependant on overtime flyers then we would have some leverage to use when the time is right.

Though you say your post is not personal, I fail to see where it presents some logical point supported by evidence. What I do see is an inappropriate allegation that I am acting out of greed by accepting overtime flying. This is "inappropriate" because you don't have any idea of how much or if I accept any overtime flying. Your conclusion is without a basis in fact...which makes it emotional and flawed.

Try this....state your position on Vlt/Draft and then back it up with some credible logic and evidence.

Ill help you

I, Sandman, feel that drft/vlt should/shouldn't (cirlce one) be flown because of the following reasons:

1. State an unemotional logical reason or evidence.

2. State another logical reason or evidence

In conclusion, ....(Now try to tie your logical reasons together to support your position).

Last edited:
Echopapa said:
Ill help you

I, Sandman, feel that drft/vlt should/shouldn't (cirlce one) be flown because of the following reasons:

1. State an unemotional logical reason or evidence.

2. State another logical reason or evidence

In conclusion, ....(Now try to tie your logical reasons together to support your position).

You guys seem to be doing the same thing for different reasons, but you are both doing the right thing no matter what the reason. Why not just agree to agree on this one.
DAL and NWA have guys on the street and guys still flying are picking up extra so there is no way we will stop DFT/VLT at FredEx. The other guys have some real issues.

The real fact is that Fedex will only speed up the process is when they experience service failures. This is the case with practically all airline (pax or cargo) union negotiations.

How this happens is the difficult part.

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2001/feb2001/lab-f23.shtml

Union orders Delta Pilots to end job action
The Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) ordered its members at Delta Air Lines to comply with a federal court injunction halting a no-overtime work campaign, a union spokesman said February 15. Pilots have been involved in drawn-out negotiations for a new contract and are demanding higher wages and improved benefits from the nation's third largest carrier. The pilots union has voted to strike as early as April 1 if negotiations fail and the National Mediation Board releases both sides from talks.

The injunction, which was issued by the US District Court for the Northern District of Georgia in Atlanta, prohibits ALPA from refusing to request or accept overtime flying work, and from engaging in any other actions which interfere with Delta's operations. In a posting on its web site, ALPA told its members to cease any unlawful activity, including harassment of pilots who request overtime work.

Delta sued its pilots union in December, accusing it of orchestrating a campaign to decline overtime flying requests in violation of the federal Railway Labor Act. When the district court judge hearing the case declined to enjoin the pilots, Delta appealed the decision to the 11th Circuit US Court of Appeals in Atlanta. Last month, a three-judge panel sided with the airline and ordered the lower court to issue an injunction. A pilots union request for a rehearing before the full 11th Circuit court was denied.

Echopapa - you're right as far as refusing DRF and VLT will not help if only a few members do it. But that sounds an awful like "Why bother voting - my vote doesn't make a difference anyway". You can't really complain about the outcome if you don't participate in a positive way. Of course my MEC speaks for me - I'm not on it and in no way am putting out their guidance. But....it seems very obvious to me that if we had less DRF and VLT then it just might hit the company in the pocketbook and that's the only way they will negotiate. I suspect they will keep negotiations open as long as it behooves them financially - could be years.

It makes me sick when I hear some guy in the crew bus bragging about how he just picked up a draft trip while we're in negotiations. And 9 out of 10 times the guy lives in Memphis - imagine that. There is a clear difference in crew force between those that live in Memphis and those that don't.

Babylon,

While I do not agree with your personal view of overtime flying, I do agree that there are differences in the way it is perceived by memphis pilots and commuters.

I suspect some of the resentment toward overtime flying by commuters stems not just from the perception that it will extend negotiations but also from a lack of ability for commuters to equally participate.

Its always easy to give up something you don't have....and for commuters thats overtime flying.

I am a commuter in a major metropolitan area and have been offered draft. Plenty of people go sick in the field.

I just don't feel motivated to do any extra flying now.

HNF

Latest resources

Back