• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx Lifestyle, NOT Sugarcoated!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That is true, I stand behind my word. I should have said I will never PAY for any interview prep. Waste of $$$

As far as the strike at ASA.... If you read the further in my message I also said I will NEVER cross a picket line!

Realyman said:
That is true, I stand behind my word. I should have said I will never PAY for any interview prep. Waste of $$$

As far as the strike at ASA.... If you read the further in my message I also said I will NEVER cross a picket line!

Then how are you going to become a 700 Captain if we go on strike?

This has been beaten to death on this board. Realyman, do a search on this board and you will find lots of info on this topic.

Ted Striker, I thought your Forbes comment was pretty darn funny...

my take

I like it here at FedEx. Yes, there is a lot of night flying, but I really haven't done much in the last 2-3 years that I have been here. I live in Memphis and prefer flying the "Afternoon-Out-N-Back" schedule. I basically go in around 1400, fly to an outstation, have dinner, workout, and get back to Memphis around midnight or so. I do this 3 days a week, every week or 4 days a week with one entire week off. I also don't work any weekends.

This is what I have been doing as a 727 Second Officer. It didn't take very long before I had the seniority to do this type of flying, but then the hiring stopped and I was stuck in the S/O position. Now, the hiring is full speed ahead and I am finally in F/O upgrade class and thus back at the bottom of the seniority list. With the projected hiring rate, I wont have to fly too many months in the dark before I can see the sun again.

The schedules vary quite a bit. Many commuters prefer the night flying (hub turns) cuz they are easy to commute to. Other guys like me prefer the afternoon stuff. You also have a morning type option where you fly a plane into a hub around sun up and hang around until mid afternoon. You then launch back out and hit your hotel before dinner.

The pros of FedEx:
We're making money (lots of it)
We fly lots of heavy iron thus more pilots are making wide body pay
We have an aggressive retirement schedule
We have a WIDE variety of schedules to include everywhere domestic and intl
Easy to commute to
Usually one or two leg type days - multi-leg death marches are few
You stay at quality hotels
You get a cool leather jacket ; ) (and no hat)

The cons of FedEx:
No good travel benies for the family except some agreements with other airlines
Lots of back side of the clock flying
You start out as a S/O
No flight attendants (excluding the S/O)

That's all that comes to mind right now. It is a good place to work. Hiring has cranked up and many people (myself included) are getting happier by the day. Now all we need is a nice new contract.

Goose17

I apologize...

Guys I apologize for hijacking the threat to rip Realyman. He just rubbed me the wrong way on the thread about a potential ASA strike. This was the wrong place to do it and I am sorry for being negative. Good luck to everyone. FWIW Realyman...Fedex would be a wonderful job. Go track airline stocks and then throw Fedex and Brown in there... airlines are down, those are doing pretty dang well. They are going to be a lot more recession/terror proof.

Striker

Sorry if this is a little off the subject, but how is a good way to develop "connections" or "sponsors" at FedEx? Does the company want to see that you and your sponsor have flown together or just for character references? I would greatly appreciate any help with these questions.

good question

The first question always asked of a sponsor is: "Have you flown with this person?"

Having flown with them is a big plus as far as I am aware. If you don't know any FedEx pilots, I have no idea on your next step. I bet you know at least someone. We have something like 4400 pilots. There is probably someone on the inside you know that you have simply lost contact with.

Good luck.

Goose17

Bosshog1 said:
Sorry if this is a little off the subject, but how is a good way to develop "connections" or "sponsors" at FedEx? Does the company want to see that you and your sponsor have flown together or just for character references? I would greatly appreciate any help with these questions.
I'm thinkin' perhaps you should track down a few 727 SO's (especially the ones on first year pay) and offer to take them up in a GA airplane for a little flying. Afterwards, take them to Ruth's Chris and buy 'em a nice cut of beef.

You get to fly together - - they can put that on the referral

They get some stick time - - important when it comes time for them to upgrade to a window seat.

They get to know you in a social setting - - they can put that on the referral.

Most importantly, get them to bring a copy of the Master Seniority List to dinner - - read it while they eat. :) You might be surprised who you know at FedEx that you didn't know was at FedEx, and they can REALLY give you a referral. :)

Whaddaya say, Goose? Medium rare? :)

not a bad idea TonyC

I think that is a good tactic.

Count me out though - I'm in F/O upgrade right now.

Good luck (persistance pays off)

Goose17

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back