• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TonyC said:
To which "retards" were you referring?

:rolleyes:

:eek: Sorry, that could have been taken the wrong way. I was referring to the mental giants that have nothing constructive to add...not to FedEx pilots.

IMO - your type of flying is the most demanding in the industry. I have nothing but respect for any pilot at FedEx, UPS, etc.

Great info! Can anyone provide an example of a typical schedule? How are lines typically built for the junior guys? How many Reserve days in a row; per month? How commutable for new hire heading to Memphis?

Thanx

To any 727 F/O or S/O

Being ANC based, I'm not in the loop to alot of stuff that goes on in MEM, but just recently talked with a buddy of mine who is in the back of the boeing. He told me the schedules have gotten progressively worse over the last few years with very few DDH and a lot more out and backs. He was going to hang out in the back a little while longer to make life a little more friendly (he's a commuter). Anyone care to comment?

Junior Schedule

First of all let me say that things are moving pretty fast right now. Chances are you will not remain junior as long as some have recently.

The junior guys typically get reserve A (basically midnight to noon). The typical Reserve A line has about 6 days of reserve, 5 days off, 6 on , 5 off, etc. If you don't put yourself on first fly, you'll probably fly about every other day. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Commutable. Yep. It helps if you are a "good commuting" city. Several FedEx flights each day (Dallas, Chicago, Indy, etc). If not you can stil commute, but it gets a little more difficult. I commuted to reserve from a small city for 18 months without a problem.

Easy. Nope. But it is stable and growing. Pay is good. Seniority is getting better. I guess if you take care of yourself and work at staying healthy it is a good decision. I'll let you know for certain in 20 years when I hit 62 (after they change the age 60 requirement).

I had the chance to go to SWA earlier this year and chose to stay. Don't know if it the best decision or not - again will find out in 20. BUT....things at FEdEx don't suck so bad that I knew to jump ship right away. I guess it is what you make of it.

Hope this helps. If you have specific questions I can answer - pm.

Good Luck

Qol Issues

PanelApe is right; things are moving very fast right now. I've been on A reserve for three months, but I can (and will) bid a line next month.

Reserve has been used heavily this month. Lotsa AM out-and-backs, lotsa layover trips. But I wouldn't trade it for anything. The plusses way outnumber the minuses at this point.

P.S. PanelApe, when you graduate to the back of the -10, do you become a "PanelNeanderthal" or a "PanelCroMagnon"?

Z_Pilot said:
Is ANC primarily night flying too?
Its hard to put a specific label on ANC flying. We primarily fly international to Asia, but do get the occasional run to the lower 48 or to Europe. With international legs, we see a little bit of everything. I've had trips where the whole trip is during daylight hours, but with circadian shifts your body feels like its at night. I've also had night hub turns at Subic. I guess its all relative. I don't know if this answers your question, but hopefully gives you a little insight.

my offer to any FEDEX guy (or Gal). Come to my house on an overnight (i'm in indy) fly Microsoft flight sim with me, and then to Mc Donalds we go for a great dinner. In return I would need a letter of Rec. Just kiddin.

I have heard that you guys get the weekends off and I have heard that you have 36 hour overnights on the weekends. Could you guys share some info on that. And also, If you need sometime off, for say a triathlon, is it hard to get days off.

Last edited:
I work for about a year (before I was furloughed) in the international air cargo business. It is a tough lifestye. Most of the trips were a week to 15 days. Working on the backside of the clock gets old pretty fast (it usually took me about two days after returning home from a trip to feel normal again). I gained about 35 pounds in that year from the crappy lifestyle. I really don't miss it.

That said, FEDEX is a much better place to work than where I was. I am sure that the schedules are better than what we had. It is one of the strongest airlines out there, and that really matters the most. Since you are at ASA, go fly 4 or 5 DCA naps in a row, after the last one, that is how you will feel most of the time flying international night cargo.

Flying the back side of the clock will always exist here at FedEx, that's the nature of the business, but it is only part of our very broad range of schedules.
It really depends on what equipment you are on and where you are based.
I am based in ANC and the flights to Asia leave in the late morning and the ones to the lower 48 leave in the afternoon. There are no a.m. out and backs here. About 80% of the flights out of here are international so, you have to deal with jet lag rather than shifting sleep cycles.
Since we started the postal contract a few years ago , our ratio of day to night flying is 50/50.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back