• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx Jumpseat 101 for regional pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Like you guys can talk....I have Fedex crew hopin a ride all the time ( I mean all the time)...so tired they just hand the material over....No prob with me! We are on the same team...or did Fedex change leauges? I guess you guys can fly the ILS better than us regional pilots....what was I thinking...have fun watching that sun come up on the arrival into EWR.....sorry, just a little mad with hoo ha bitts 101 guide......you guys are always welcome on the jumpseat....j

Last edited:
livinadream said:
Like you guys can talk....I have Fedex crew hopin a ride all the time ( I mean all the time)...so tired they just hand the material over....No prob with me! We are on the same team...or did Fedex change leauges? I guess you guys can fly the ILS better than us regional pilots....what was I thinking...have fun watching that sun come up on the arrival into EWR.....sorry, just a little mad with hoo ha bitts 101 guide......you guys are always welcome on the jumpseat....j

Feel free to blackball any of these guys from your airline. Seriously, it would carry a little credit if we know where you worked.

I have to admit, the FOs always seem surprised when I introduce myself to them, must be battered wife syndrome...or whatever the flight deck equiv. is.

As a FedEx guy, I REALLY appreciate the J/S opportunities I've had. Every time I've offline J/S'd I've been treated too well. BUT Every time I jumpseat, I follow some simple rules:
J/S cookies for the flight crew (goes without sayin')
J/S cookies for the F/A's (feed the hand that feeds yah)
Introduce yourself to the boss and his sidekick and ASK for a seat!
Thanks a million to the folks that let us ride.
If etiquette is not taught in this profession, it must be learned.

J/S cookies for the flight crew (goes without sayin')
J/S cookies for the F/A's (feed the hand that feeds yah)
Introduce yourself to the boss and his sidekick and ASK for a seat!
Thanks a million to the folks that let us ride.

I do all that, and I also point out their airline discount for shipping with us (just bring your ID).

Pinnacle guys ROCK - thanks for the many rides MOB-MEM.

Remember it’s a privilege, not a right.

Introduce yourself, ask nicely, and hand over the cookies.

And if you’re the flight crew working, then help the nonconforming out by giving them helpful advice instead of blasting them on fi.

Huck said:
I do all that, and I also point out their airline discount for shipping with us (just bring your ID).

Pinnacle guys ROCK - thanks for the many rides MOB-MEM.

All the FX guys that I have taken are great. Polite and modest. Also, the FX guys have a great ability to bank "deadhead money" and use it for other flights. So.. if a Fred pilot is on board he may be on a ticket. Don't get mad cause he isn't checking in with the PIC to request the jumpseat.... (FX'ers please clarify if needed....)

Also, the shipping discount is not quid pro quo for jumpseating. The shipping discount is for ID90 travel and is for all employees, both FX and your airline.

Many pax pilots get mad around Xmas when the FX discount is blacked out. There are grumblings of denying FX pilots the jumpseat cause of this and it is totally uneducated....

The FX pilots just got a TA. Us Pax pilots will be able to look at those rates and go to our managment and say.. See.. those nasty airline pilot wanna be's are making more than us... (dramatized for effect!)

Go FedEX !!!!

I have always asked for a ride, introduced myself to both crewmembers, and along the way even made a few new friends. I have also met a few that acted more like you where bothering them and did not want to deal with you. Very rarely have I seen guys getting on my aircraft being rude or not stopping. The better response would have been to talk to them about JS privledges and manners.

The title for this thread is probably one of the most condescending thread titles I've seen in a while. I consider myself a "professional" jumpseater. I travel on lots of different airlines, follow the same etiquette every time and have had nothing but good experiences. Your thread title assumes that the majority of us "regional" pilots are new to the airline business and unaware of industry norms.

No, instead what you had were a couple of a$$holes that you should have educated. I have had several "Major" pilots display exceedingly poor jumpseat etiquette on my flights before. I didn't however come on an anonymous forum and lambaste an entire group. As an aside, it has been my experience that military pilots have some of the poorest jumpseat ettiquete as the concept is new to them.

Use a smaller brush next time you paint your masterpiece here. It will probably prove to be far more useful. The only thing you accomplished here was to typecast yourself and some of your peers.

Latest resources

Back