FedEx Jumpseat 101 for regional pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SSDD said:
I just turned around and said: You've been here for 15 minutes, haven't talked to me at all, and now you TELL me you're riding up front? No you're not. The paperwork is gone, and I didn't see anything about a jumpseater. Not today.

If only Echopapa and his Captain would have taken an easily comprehendible approach such as yours, instead of posting a condescending "FedEx Jumpseat 101 for regional pilots" thread in the majors forum. But Echopapa and his Captain apparently decided to take the passive-aggressive approach: Let the transgressors ride, but bad-mouth them behind closed doors. Real productive.

If Echopapa really wanted to do uninformed and/or ill-mannered regional pilots a service, perhaps he could have posted his cautionary tale in the regional forum. But perhaps it was more about showing off for his major buds.

ReverseSensing said:
If only Echopapa and his Captain would have taken an easily comprehendible approach such as yours, instead of posting a condescending "FedEx Jumpseat 101 for regional pilots" thread in the majors forum. But Echopapa and his Captain apparently decided to take the passive-aggressive approach: Let the transgressors ride, but bad-mouth them behind closed doors. Real productive.

If Echopapa really wanted to do uninformed and/or ill-mannered regional pilots a service, perhaps he could have posted his cautionary tale in the regional forum. But perhaps it was more about showing off for his major buds.

Agreed! It goes for any pilot Military or Civilian. Maybe it was one of their first jumpseat rides. If you want to help them out... explain the rules. They were possibly intimidated by you guys. Don't burn them at the stake or make them pay for it later in their careers by blacklisting them. Just a thought. JR

goahead said:
It's b/c the majority of us regional folks are all spoiled kids that have never had to work for anything. Me on the other hand, I am very appreciative of everything I ever get and always respect my elders and others in my profession wish more did.

Amen!!!!

SSDD said:
Rez,

That's a lot of the problem. It ain't my job to "school the boys". Its common courtesy and they should have learned it by the time they were 12 or 13. Even though these incidents involved jumpseating, this attitude has nothing to do with the act of jumpseating.

Nope.. that is not the way it works... you always give a fellow pilot the opportunity to self correct. Why? cause that is what you'd want. And its is not that our behavior is necessarily poor, but it might be perceived as poor. Not until you understand the full story should you act. Why decide on a course of action without all the info? And who better to ask than the offender why his/her behavior is poor?

Try to understand the other then try to be understood.

If the Capt and Echopapa handled the situation on site it would be no issue. There would be no desire to post of FI. All ego's would have been satisfied and case closed....

Also, this might have been these guys second time being offending jumpseaters. Cause the capt. they offended first didn't handle the situation. And now that Capt put echopapa and his capt. in an uncomfortable spot....

Thoughts?

Last edited:
It goes both ways. I had an AA guy get one my plane on go straight to a seat, and a couple of NW do the same and then they had the nerve to complain about the size of the Saab. I told them if you live in a crap town, you get a crap plane.

For everyone; if its a free ride, ASK the PIC. Don't assume just because the gate agent gave you a seat you are home free.

I guess we just think differently. If there is an accident you want to find fault with everyone but the pilots. If a pilot shows up drunk, you want to cover it up and make excuses for him. If a pilot has no consideration for their fellow pilots, you want to give them every opportunity to "self-correct".

We as pilots don't deserve any special considerations by virtue of the fact that we are pilots. We have to take responsibility for our own actions...the accident, wether we survived or not...those few drinks we shouldn't have taken...out lack of manners and consideration for others...

After engaging you on the drunk pilot thread, I don't want to go back and forth on this one. Suffice it to say we disagree.

SSDD said:
I guess we just think differently. If there is an accident you want to find fault with everyone but the pilots. If a pilot shows up drunk, you want to cover it up and make excuses for him. If a pilot has no consideration for their fellow pilots, you want to give them every opportunity to "self-correct".

No.. if there is an accident I want to fully understand what happened.

No.. if a pilot shows up drunk I want to protect everyone... passengers, crew, airplane and company. I just understand there is a way to do it.

SSDD said:
We as pilots don't deserve any special considerations by virtue of the fact that we are pilots. We have to take responsibility for our own actions...the accident, wether we survived or not...those few drinks we shouldn't have taken...out lack of manners and consideration for others...

Of course we have to take responsibility, but we also deserve to be made aware of our behavior that we are being made accountable for... Isn't that fair? How can I take responsibility if I am not aware? Otherwise, I can think your behavior is poor and deny you the jumpseat. Sure its my perogative, but is it professional? Wouldn't you like to know why you were being denied or roasted on Flightinfo?

SSDD said:
After engaging you on the drunk pilot thread, I don't want to go back and forth on this one. Suffice it to say we disagree.

fair enough.....

I introduce myself to both pilots and ask the captain if I can bum a ride. Then I give candy bars to all the flight attendants.

Amazing what a bucks worth of chocolate is really worth.

Gup

Instead of an anonymous post on Flightinfo, you might contact your jumpseat coordinator so they can contact the JS Coordinator of their companies so this stuff can get straightened out. Please do not let a couple bad apples spoil you with offline jumpseaters.

Even if I'm on a company aircraft, I always ask if I can catch a ride home or to work, and then say thanks about a dozen times before getting seated. I also try to help clean the cabin and/or cross seatbelts on my way out to say thanks for the ride. Most crews appreciate it, one testy Eagle FA notwithstanding. It's not always easy to find cookies to give the crew after a 5 long days & back-to-back trips.

And I've yet to ride on FedEx (thanks to my company dragging ass with getting our pictures in CASS), but let me say "Thanks for the ride!" ahead of time, for every jackass that might have neglected that...and that goes for regional, LCC, legacy, and cargo pilots.

Latest resources

Back