FedEx Jumpseat 101 for regional pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Echopapa

I want to pass along for those of you looking for a job.

A few days ago I had two seperate flights with two seperate jumpseaters from other airlines (regionals). As it would happen, the Captain I was flying with was one of approx 8 that conduct new hire interviews.

Both offline jumpseaters did not introduce themselves nor ask the Captain for for permission to fly. Instead, they waited for the Captain to introduce himself and then TOLD him they were going to be on his plane.

I am not going to discuss what the Captain said in private afterword...but it was not good. For those of you who do jumpseat with us, and I know its not many, please be careful how you approach the Captain...you never know who he may be. Be curtious, be proactive to introduce yourself, and make sure you ASK for a ride.

It could have been a great chance for those two younger aviators to get a foot in the door, but instead they closed it on themselves.

Good point. When I was hired at my first airline, the first week of Indoc our instructor made a point to do a presentation on the do's and don'ts of jumpseating. I have followed his good advice and have always been treated exceptionally well by all of the airlines I have had the privilege of riding on. I wish every airline did this with new guys.

this goes for anyone jumpseating on any airline... doesn't matter if it is "regional", "major"... whatever. introduce and ASK... it is pretty simple.

It's b/c the majority of us regional folks are all spoiled kids that have never had to work for anything. Me on the other hand, I am very appreciative of everything I ever get and always respect my elders and others in my profession wish more did.

I swear some of these guys have a sense of entitlement that is beyond comprehension. This happened a few days ago.

A company pilot boards with the passengers and stops in the galley to shoot the chit with the flight attendants. We're having baggage delivery problems(imagine that) so it takes about another 10 minutes to get the paperwork. As I hand the papers to the flight attendant to close the door, this guy comes into the cockpit and TELLS me he's in the jumpseat!

I just turned around and said: You've been here for 15 minutes, haven't talked to me at all, and now you TELL me you're riding up front? No you're not. The paperwork is gone, and I didn't see anything about a jumpseater. Not today.

I don't want a jumpseater to beg for a ride like some people I've jumped with, but this was beyond anything I've seen in almost 30 years in the industry.

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth! (Is that how the saying goes?)

Jumpseating is one of the few ways a Regional guy can meet a Fedex pilot. Heck, a couple of months of jumpseating could produce a few of the all-important Pilot Recs. These guys are probably the same ones that complain about FDX only hiring Military pilots.

If only my company was CASS!:(

Rez,

That's a lot of the problem. It ain't my job to "school the boys". Its common courtesy and they should have learned it by the time they were 12 or 13. Even though these incidents involved jumpseating, this attitude has nothing to do with the act of jumpseating.

How about the guys that introduce themselves only to the CPT, its a 2 person cockpit at least extend me your hand, and say hello to me too I am not wallpaper. I always introduce myself to BOTH pilots, and I suggest we all do the same.

D

Latest resources

Back