Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEX HKG LOA is out, and boy is it funny...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Has anyone considered that the company is counting on Hillary becoming the next president. If that is the case, more people would probably be willing to put up with a bad LOA in order to get out to the country ;)

Has anyone considered that the company is counting on Hillary becoming the next president. If that is the case, more people would probably be willing to put up with a bad LOA in order to get out to the country ;)

There are term limits to the presidency......hasnt she already served her 2 term limit from 1992-2000??:puke:

best post on FI in years...

First--I am not sure how USERRA affects this, but sending a guy with ANG/Reserve obligations creates a few problems. First--he/she has required drills, training, and events they must do. Second--there are likely some security issues. We've got an F-22 pilot and a 1 or 2 star general running around our campus....a former B-2 driver, etc. There may be some guys with security clearance issues. So--let's make assumption one--that some guys opt out of being "inversed" with military leave.

For those that don't have the mil leave option any updates?

Guys:

I think most people here (on this forum) agree on a couple of key points:

1. This LOA is far, far substandard to any other company's Pilot (let alone executive) Ex-Pat Package.

2. The Company can definitely afford a better package.

3. Of the much touted " Hooray guys, $ 40,000 per year extra for each pilot!", absolutely NONE of it will end up in the pilot's pocket because of taking away the Ex-Pat tax exemption, as well as having to spend a huge amount out-of-pocket for rent. In fact, it will be both a real and perceived pay CUT for the pilot. And again, this is for RENT. The individual pilot will end up with equity in absolutely nothing. How many FedEX pilots state-side rent an apartment vs owning a home??

4. By omitting tuition coverage, FedEX, the "family orientated company that it is", has COMPLETELY excluded anyone with a school age child from bidding an FDA, both present and future FDA's

5. In the years to come, this LOA will affect FAR more than the approx. 160 pilots (80 in HKG, 80 in CDG), as FedEX continues a huge portion of its growth overseas. You think these bases won't get any bigger? You think these will be the only 2 FDA's? We need to set a legit precedent.

6. The argument, "we need to pass this because if we turn it down, they will just run a bid anyway..." is completely invalid. Let 'em, see what happens. The MEC wants you to think that, so they don't look bad by presenting a substandard package to the voters that gets turned down.

The people who read these boards are only a very small percentage of our pilot group. This information is not reaching the masses of eligible voters. There was an MD-11 Captain here in Subic on a layover who said he was not going to vote at all because this LOA would not affect him. Ridiculous.

Please guys, spread the word among the rest of the pilot group. Use emails, word of mouth, whatever you can.

Last edited:
I don't really care what the MEC presents to me anymore, they lost all their credibility with me when the railroaded us on the Age 60 vote. I'm against age 65, however, if even close to 50% of the FEDEX pilots had wanted the change I would have accepted the MEC actions and moved on. But when they blatently disregard the will of over 70% of the crew force, it demonstrates that they are more concerned with ALPA national and @sshole Prater, than representing FEDEX pilots.

I skimmed over the FDA stuff and realized that it pretty much sucked. For me (personally) this vote is a vote of confidence in the MEC and I will be voting NO NO NO!

I no longer trust or even care to be a part of ALPA (other than the fact that I have to due to our contract) They can steal my 2%, but the lanyard, tie pin, and all of the ALPA bag tags are now in the local landfill. (I will keep the pocket calander though, at least until the end of the year).

This FDA is lousy but will probably pass because all the guys who will never bid an overseas assignment don't care what the provisions are. They just want the new bid to come out in order to move seats or to gain seat seniority. The MEC only needs 51% to get this thing passed.

The MEC only needs 51% to get this thing passed.

And we only need 51% to stop it. Talk to guys, educate them briefly on how bad this LOA is, and we have a fighting chance. The MEC is definitely worried about it failing, and the resultant loss of face that will follow. Try to reach the 70% of us who said "NO" to age 65 deal. Those should be easy guys to help shoot down this LOA.

Don't give up, talk to the voting masses.

Hmmmmmm 11 to 1 on the MEC votes yes for the deal.

70 percent of pilots vote no for it.

Seems to me that the mec is a little out of touch with

Reality
The Cost of Living
the line pilots

or pretty much all of above.

Latest resources

Back